Why cant anyone defend RNC's ?

Money509

A Level Poster
@Silver
Reaction score
Just finished watching the last episode, another damn RNC . Almost every fight ends in a RNC can these dudes not defend it i mean come on. Seems like every guy is a just a wrestler with no stand up thats goes for the choke and these dudes cant defend it for shit.

That jamie dude would have won if he couldt defend it, also the zulu boy dude.

someone did stats on most common submissions and the RNC is the most common

A lot of them just seem to give up and let them get it which is odd.
The fights are won before they happen the non BJJ guy thinks they're done if their opponent gets their back so they give up and let it happen when their back is taken.

Heelhooks , armbars, kimuras, kneebars, almost every submission becomes 10x more difficult when you and your opponent start sweating.

RNCs are one of the easier submissions to do as the fight progresses.

and dont underestimate how hard it is to defend against an opponent you cant see, sitting or hanging on your back ,stretching you out or squeezing you with their legs, punching you in the head and face or covering your mouth with their hands,WHILE trying to put an arm around and strangle you.

Zulu defended a pretty tight RNC in the first round against Ogikubo.

The fights are won before they happen the non BJJ guy thinks they're done if their opponent gets their back so they give up and let it happen when their back is taken.
That's my opinion of the matter as well. Through my years training BJJ I've seen a lot of newer and less dedicated practitioners do the hand hover while waiting to be choked. It happens all the time in MMA and it's usually guys who never train in the gi or spend time just doing BJJ.

Seems like everyone these days are doing concentration curls to defend armbars....it might benefit them to mix in some tricep kickbacks to power out of the RNC.

I was thinking the same thing. Very strange how he went back down to the mat so easily and didn't even try to hand fight at all, just was like well fuck it. If he would have drove his hips out and pryed the kids hands apart like his life depended on it, he could have probably won.

That's the beauty of the RNC. You risk getting put to sleep trying to defend it.

A lot of people who thinks it's not that difficult to defend RNC's, are probably training BJJ only and not full MMA where you're getting punched in the face to setup the RNC.

Just finished watching the last episode, another damn RNC . Almost every fight ends in a RNC can these dudes not defend it i mean come on. Seems like every guy is a just a wrestler with no stand up thats goes for the choke and these dudes cant defend it for shit.

That jamie dude would have won if he couldt defend it, also the zulu boy dude.
I'm sure you could defend the RNC easily.

meanwhile Roger Gracie is RNCing blackbelts everywhere.

That is so under estimaing a black belt bjj's RNC on a non grappler. They quit cause its going dark and they cant breath.

That is so under estimaing a black belt bjj's RNC on a non grappler. They quit cause its going dark and they cant breath.

Not really the point I was making or that other people have made here, once the choke is set they have little option other than to tap or to pass out. It's about defending before they actually get the choke in place.

They don't watch the Eddie Bravo Invitational(tm) professional grappling extravaganza.

I would think it would be demoralizing to hqve a guy backpacking you and you know if you put your shoulders don to dfnd he's going to full mount to smash your face in.

It may be the most efficient submission ( if we includes all the GI variations) in BJJ as well...
Not easy at all to defend as most of the time it's already set up during scrambles & back take, once the arm is under your chin good luck

Back