Why can you win a fight by missing submissions but not win by missing strikes?

You can not finish a submission and still do damage.

In ufc you can win a decision by failing a sub attempt over and over. Yet if you missed strikes over and over...you would lose.

"Control" is overrated. In 25 minutes...if you cant lock in a suvmission and finish....there is no reason to think youd lock it in if there were no rounds.. ..

Grappling has an advantage in scoring when it comes to this. You can fail to finish the fight and still get the nod even if you were outstruck...just because you controlled the grappling (but did no damage).

In striking. ..if you got hit more but controlled the action while missing (using things like agression) youd lose.

I think it is strange. Yes controlling someone is important...but if there is no damage done. .and you failed your objective (submission), you dont deserve the win.
If a grappler doesn't GnP or Submit, then he is just defending himself. That's how I see grappling with no finish or damage, it is just self-defense.

If I lost a fight the way Masvidal lost to Maia, I would be like Nick Diaz and say "I have never lost a fight." Yeah, Maia won a game, but he didn't beat Masvidal in a fight.

MMA rules are set up for easy victories for grapplers. A grappler can win by simply taking you down, and keeping you there, without ever coming close to a finish or inflicting any damage.

It needs to change. A takedown should not be scored, because most fights end up on the ground, it is a default course of any fight. It takes more skill to keep a fight standing than to take it to the ground.

Submission attempts should not be scored (a woman is either pregnant or she isn't) it is an all or nothing thing. You either submitted or you didn't. Strikers don't get scores for "attempted strikes."

The rules need to force grapplers to GnP or Submit, not to use their grappling skills as self-defense.

It is a fight. We want to see finishes or damages. Not self-defense grappling.

In ufc you can win a decision by failing a sub attempt over and over. Yet if you missed strikes over and over...you would lose.

"Control" is overrated. In 25 minutes...if you cant lock in a suvmission and finish....there is no reason to think youd lock it in if there were no rounds.. ..

Grappling has an advantage in scoring when it comes to this. You can fail to finish the fight and still get the nod even if you were outstruck...just because you controlled the grappling (but did no damage).

In striking. ..if you got hit more but controlled the action while missing (using things like agression) youd lose.

I think it is strange. Yes controlling someone is important...but if there is no damage done. .and you failed your objective (submission), you dont deserve the win.

Ever watched a Diego Sanchez win in the last couple years?

Win by missing is kind of his mo. Watch the Pearson fight and have fun.

Leonard Garcia would tell you that you can win many fights by attempting and not landing strikes.

Fighters are always thinking in either striking or grappling arts. Saying one is more technical than the other is comparing apples to oranges. The high level body mechanics of both delivering and taking strikes, the constant gauging and control of distance, and the analysis that goes into figuring your opponent out and making adjustments requires huge amounts of technique. The way you hear Joe Rogan commentate though in MMA, you'd think the only technique required is knowing how to throw a combination well. Something being more exhausting doesn't relate to technique either, and I don't see the proof that grappling is necessarily more tiring considering it's not unusual to hear tell of hobbyists rolling for an hour straight, but you don't hear that about sparring striking for an hour straight. Someone can get more beaten up and physically exhausted more easily through getting hurt by strikes than they ever would in grappling. But anyway, that part is really irrelevant. Rolling a boulder up a hill would be exhausting, but it wouldn't require a great deal of technique.

Of course missing a punch requires 0 technique. In a submission attempt, some work has actually been done and that's what they've decided to reward in the ruleset, so the two aren't equivalents to compare.
I see the point you're making and I can respect that view point.

Submission attempts(the genuinely threatening ones, at least) are more comparable to blocked or partially-hitting shots.
Good submission attempts are actually more comparable to a knockdown.

Back