Why can you train BJJ later in life, but not wrestling?

Is wrestling a youth sport internationally too? Do Iranian and Mongolian wrestlers stop competing in their mid 20's like USA counterparts?

I am not sure about Iran and Mongolia, but in Europe and Russia it is a club sport as opposed to the United States where it is scholastic. It is not uncommon to have older guys (veterans) training at various clubs, Germany even has men's leagues, where you have older guys competing against each other. There are Veteran Clubs in the United States but unfortunately they are not that widespread.

And gravity. I started wrestling (and judo) as a kid, when I weighed maybe 70 pounds soaking wet. Gravity didn't mean much back then, takedowns and falling (including off of trees and monkey-bars) were painless; you hit the ground and were back on your feet like you were made of Indian rubber. Didn't even matter how you fell, you were so light it didn't matter; eventually you got good at it. Plus your bones were half cartilage and so most of the time bent rather than broke, and even when they broke healed so fast it didn't matter. Plus all the cute girls would come around to sign your cast for the week or so you had it on.

As an adult I'm used to being taken down/thrown, but even with much better breakfall than I had as a kid starting out, I feel it much more - doubling your mass, even if most of it is fit weight, does that, as does being thrown from a higher height by a heavier opponent. I can't imagine starting as an older (ie 30+) adult; the falls alone would be reason to find a different activity. Like ground oriented BJJ.

BTW, this applies to a number of sports. Its why adults almost never learn to ski as well as people who started as kids. Falling on skis as a child is actually fun, you're so close to the ground and so light there's no hesitation to try things. Falling as an adult is not so good. And there's no bragging rights showing up at work with your arm in a cast.

There certainly is truth in what you are saying, however there are many older guys still training and competing in Judo, and Judo is pretty taxing on the body as well. I love wrestling and I think it is a beautiful international sport, I would like to see more people doing it over a lifetime, I think in order for this to happen you have to have more clubs that are inclusive to people of all ages and skill levels.

There certainly is truth in what you are saying, however there are many older guys still training and competing in Judo, and Judo is pretty taxing on the body as well. I love wrestling and I think it is a beautiful international sport, I would like to see more people doing it over a lifetime, I think in order for this to happen you have to have more clubs that are inclusive to people of all ages and skill levels.

Sure, but how many of them started judo as adults? The judoka I know who still compete in their 40's and 50's all started as kids. Training is a bit different, but even there most who train in middle age and later have been doing it as kids.

I agree about wrestling as well, I love it, but it has much of the same problems for older beginners. Basically, you'd need a version of judo and wrestling that emphasize ground work; in the case of judo, you might as well just do BJJ at that point. And arguably, catch wrestling for wrestling, given it has a lot more ground emphasis than freestyle, folk or greco-roman.

Because wrestling is more demanding, especially if you want to compete. You have to be quick and powerful, with nimble knees.

[<cena1}Because no one wants old men walking into the high school wrestling gym to roll around with the younger boys.

Because wrestling is more demanding, especially if you want to compete. You have to be quick and powerful, with nimble knees.

As I have gotten older I have developed a more European style, I stand more upright and I don't shoot to my knees. You also use more hand fighting, control ties, and pummeling to slow down a younger faster opponent. It is harder to wrestle when you are older but you can make adjustments to make it possible.

[<cena1}Because no one wants old men walking into the high school wrestling gym to roll around with the younger boys.

You could say the same thing about any form or grappling. I do see where you are coming from though.

As I have gotten older I have developed a more European style, I stand more upright and I don't shoot to my knees. You also use more hand fighting, control ties, and pummeling to slow down a younger faster opponent. It is harder to wrestle when you are older but you can make adjustments to make it possible.
A European style? Like Khinchegashvili shooting super ducks? Sadulaev, Ramonov and Tsabolov spamming fireman's carries? ahahah

A European style? Like Khinchegashvili shooting super ducks? Sadulaev, Ramonov and Tsabolov spamming fireman's carries? ahahah

There are exceptions to the rule, and I am not saying they never touch their knee to the mat but as a whole European wrestlers are known for being more upright, they do shoot but they do not touch their knee to the ground nearly as much, to avoid being sprawled on. Buvaisar Saitiev, Bekzod Abdulrachmanov, even Abdulrashid Sudalaev (who you mentioned) are much more upright than American wrestlers, they do go to their knees at times but no where near as often as American Wrestlers.

By the way I am not knocking the European style of Wrestling, I actually prefer it.

Last edited:
The real answer is simply because there aren't really 'age classes' in wrestling the way there are in more pajama oriented martial arts.

So if you're an old fart who shows up at an event, you're going into the same chum bucket as all the other mid 20 athletic prime killers too.

People can say that boxing is a young man sport and if you grew up training in boxing you have the best chance in succeeding in a pro level.

Saying that there is the master amatuer division in the usa which is for the white collar guys who got into boxing later in life and wants to compete in the amatuer level.

I dont see why wrestling cant do the same. I think allot of it is lack of popularity or oppurtunity here in usa.

The real answer is simply because there aren't really 'age classes' in wrestling the way there are in more pajama oriented martial arts.

"Skill classes" are what allows you to still compete after starting later in life in bjj.
As a 40 year old beginner it's more fair to fight a fellow white belt who is 22 than a 45 year old Rafa Mendes.

Back