Why can’t UFC find any 205s anymore?

ritchest_eva

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Looking back at all the studs and beasts that 205 use to bring us with Liddell, Ortez, Silva, Rampage, Evans, Hendo, and Griffin and now it’s prolly one of the weakest classes what happened?

Rare breed apparently, Jones pretty much hunted them to extinction.

Just aren't many out there. They sign up all the ones even half way decent. Got some guys that could develop to be good on the bottom end. But just not a division with much out there.

Looking back at all the studs and beasts that 205 use to bring us with Liddell, Ortez, Silva, Rampage, Evans, Hendo, and Griffin and now it’s prolly one of the weakest classes what happened?
Guys that size fight at MW now, Weidman, Rockhold, Jacare, Mousasi etc

People like Rockhold, Weidman and others should be 205 but they cut down to 185 instead.

It's hard to find talent at HW, too.
It's just hard to find talent for the bigger guys.

Right now, I am curious about Dominick Reyes and Antigulov.

Rare breed apparently, Jones pretty much hunted them to extinction.

Jon fought MWs and old LHWs.

What young talent did Jon destroy?

I don't know maybe because you can get a job say laying hardwood floors with no education for more than UFC pays?

Evans, Hendo, Belfort, Machida, Bisping, Branch all switched to mw

s14u3o.gif

Last edited:
People that big and talented go to the NFL or NBA and get paid for real

The timing isn't right. It's the same thing for heavyweight. Everyone is cutting insane amounts of weight these days.

A guy like James Vick, a 6 foot 2 monster, at 155 lbs is a good example. Instead of taking advantage of his frame to put on weight, he cuts it all off to gain advantage at a lower weight class. And at 9-1 in the UFC lightweight division, he's clearly doing the right things to succeed.

When was the last time they did a heavyweight or light heavyweight TUF? I think it was the Kimbo season. But probably over a hundred lightweights have gone through the system since then.

They're out there in other organizations, the majority of them fighting in Russia, UFC just didn't sign them. Why? Probably they are asking for more money than the usual 10/10k for first fight.

And yes, there's many prospects at LHW, and by what i've seen they'd run through Gian Villante, Patrick Cummins and others UFC journeymen at LHW.

When was the last time they did a heavyweight or light heavyweight TUF? I think it was the Kimbo season. But probably over a hundred lightweights have gone through the system since then.
TUF sucks for scouting/testing prospects, specially because most legit LHW/HW fighters outside UFC doesn't speak english at all. DWTNCS would fit'em much better. Not only that, but these guys aren't willing to receive peanuts while they are getting better paid in Russia/JPN/Poland

their all in europe and the ufc doesnt scout for jack shit.

HW and MW are better options than having to go through Jones
Bulk up or cut down a little

It's hard to find talent at HW, too.
It's just hard to find talent for the bigger guys.

Right now, I am curious about Dominick Reyes and Antigulov.

Jon fought MWs and old LHWs.

What young talent did Jon destroy?
It's not Jones' fault that he was a prospect that panned out and then some; he destroyed the top guys without breaking a sweat more often than not.

Now, did he do it clean? Probably not.

UFC keep trying but they keep losing to Jones, DC, Gus etc who essentially have the division hostage at this point.
They can't get any steam up to become as big as the guys you mentioned because the division is cleared out and anyone that puts together a few wins is quickly pushed at one of the top guys.

Ozdemir is a classic example, guy has potential, 3 fight win streak and he's shut down by DC.

Back