Why campaigns like #metoo are pointless

Nesruk

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Just like with what the NFL was doing a little while back, showing commercials about men having to stop beating women, this #metoo thing really doesn't do anything to change anything at all. The people who are doing these injustices know fully well what they are doing. Things might change for a little while, but like with pretty much all movements its just a fad and it will fade away.

Its not like a guy beating his wife for 10 years is going to watch an NFL commercial condemning spousal abuse have a light switch go on in his head and go "Whoa, what I've been doing this whole time was wrong? My gosh, I'm so sorry, I will never do that again". There is not a single person on the fence about sexual abuse or thoughts about beating their spouse then seeing something like this and thinking "Guess I shouldn't".

With #metoo you might get men a bit more scared of doing things like this right now because they might get outed, but the people who do these kind of egregious things are going to keep doing them nonetheless. There is a reason why there are only a few people who actually do it, it's because of personality, not just fame and power.

So my question is, who are these campaigns really for? Are they simply a way of virtue signaling, or "showing that they care" with putting on a show and then get back to business?

Whilst it's turned into a cringey shitfest, with women who haven't been assaulted tweeting it, I don't think it was meant to stop men from harassing women. I think it was meant to encourage women to share their experiences and out men who have sexually assaulted them. In that sense, it's worked. Sadly, there will be false or exaggerated accusations from attention seeking liars, but there are many genuine cases out there.

What do I know though, I'm hungover.

It's meant to raise awareness.

I think most people out there are decent and they don't whip out their cocks in front of their employees, not do they hit their wives.

These movements are for educating people. Many people weren't aware of how common these occurrences are.

These movements can catch on like wildfire and spread to other areas of the globe. They can potentially change cultures and give women the courage to speak up.

In some cases, like the metoo movement, it may raise awareness of old men who really didn't know just how badly they have been crossing the line.

Now, that being said, the metoo movement is about one bad tweet away from losing all credibility. It isn't meant to be a shit slinging contest and to publicly call out others.

Men suddenly are being unfairly judged. People's careers and lives ruined for an ass grab 20 years ago.

Now they are including where bosses were mean and said harmful things. We have ALL had bosses like that.

I wanna start a new awareness campaign:

#YouToo

Oh for fuck sake, you too, so and so did what to you, who gives a shit?

Give it a rest!

People who have done horrible things are getting the spotlight shown on them rather than it being swept under the rug. That's worth it to me.

It's a fad, just like all of these other social media flame outs. No different than ice bucket challenges and Harlem Shakes. A serious cause turned into a dog and pony show that people stop taking serious once the new fad comes along.

It has worked to raise awareness.
People have been getting fired and ostracized. How has it not been working?
If Harvey Weinstein can go down, anyone else in Hollywood thinking they're safe is retarded. One of the biggest guys went down, and it wasn't even for doing something to an A list celebrity.

They should do nude protests instead while standing still in good lighting.

Just like with what the NFL was doing a little while back, showing commercials about men having to stop beating women, this #metoo thing really doesn't do anything to change anything at all. The people who are doing these injustices know fully well what they are doing. Things might change for a little while, but like with pretty much all movements its just a fad and it will fade away.

Its not like a guy beating his wife for 10 years is going to watch an NFL commercial condemning spousal abuse have a light switch go on in his head and go "Whoa, what I've been doing this whole time was wrong? My gosh, I'm so sorry, I will never do that again". There is not a single person on the fence about sexual abuse or thoughts about beating their spouse then seeing something like this and thinking "Guess I shouldn't".

With #metoo you might get men a bit more scared of doing things like this right now because they might get outed, but the people who do these kind of egregious things are going to keep doing them nonetheless. There is a reason why there are only a few people who actually do it, it's because of personality, not just fame and power.

So my question is, who are these campaigns really for? Are they simply a way of virtue signaling, or "showing that they care" with putting on a show and then get back to business?
I always love it when an entitled cisgender white male preaches about movements meant to end oppression and discrimination. Must be nice from up there on your horse looking down on us people of color (POC) and women to tell us that we arent constantly battling microaggressions and gender discrimination. I guess we should just stop our whining, pull up our boot straps and live life the way you and other white men think we should huh? I mean you know better than us what it's like to live our lives.

@Harry Stewart @sambobeer

I dunno, irl I don't know anyone who cares about it or pays much attention to it.

A lot of this really is internet shit in many ways. When you're logged into a community like this and everyone is talking about it, it seems like it's this huge deal and it's everywhere and everyone is down with it.

Then you log out and get back to the real world and.. tumble weeds. Meh

I always love it when an entitled cisgender white male preaches about movements meant to end oppression and discrimination. Must be nice from up there on your horse looking down on us people of color (POC) and women to tell us that we arent constantly battling microaggressions and gender discrimination. I guess we should just stop our whining, pull up our boot straps and live life the way you and other white men think we should huh? I mean you know better than us what it's like to live our lives.

Well yeah

Also..

<[analyzed}>

QFT the threadstarter needs to get woke to the realities of living in the Cisgendered hetero normative, white patriarchal oppressive society we all have the misfortune to live in. What is needed is not less #metoo but more. A #metoo for every black man looked at askance by the police as he walked down the street, every transhero who has been forced to dooky in a toilet other than the one of their choice, every Muslim briefly stopped at the airport

Its not like a guy beating his wife for 10 years is going to watch an NFL commercial condemning spousal abuse have a light switch go on in his head and go "Whoa, what I've been doing this whole time was wrong? My gosh, I'm so sorry, I will never do that again".

I think the point of that commercial will be to show the wife that she is not alone, that this is not normal, and that she has someplace to turn to. Then, she has the information on who to contact to get out of that relationship.

Now that it is no longer an open secret in Hollywood, those trying to make it in the biz have the ammunition to stay away from shitheads. 2018 will be the start of no shitheads making inroads in the movie biz.

No different than what I tell my students: "You want to ensure you can get a job when you graduate? Guess what, every company and government organization does background checks now. Only do things that you won't be embarrassed by when the investigator starts poking his/her head into your past."

It's a fad, just like all of these other social media flame outs. No different than ice bucket challenges and Harlem Shakes. A serious cause turned into a dog and pony show that people stop taking serious once the new fad comes along.
The ice bucket challenge didn't ruin legacies and the harlem shake didnt end careers. I agree that it has a fad feel to it but there are also tangible things happening as a result. Fads also don't usually fuck with the power structure of historic institutions and I think there are a lot of people in high profile jobs that are getting nervous.

You didnt offer any intelligent reason to validate what you were saying TS... Im sorry I wasted 3 minutes of my day reading your 5 year old argument

Any campaign of social change where it's main proponents were the some of the richest people on Earth who profited of the system that enriched them in such a fashion is horseshit.

People like Oprah and Meryl Streep ring hollow in their sentiment when they bitch and moan about something they sat by and watched for decades while raking in tens or hundreds of millions of dollars.

The problem I see with a lot of these movements that are heavily dependant on the net/media is that attension is fickle, an issue might feel like the story of the century for a few months or maybe a couple of years but attention will wain.

It's meant to raise awareness.

I think most people out there are decent and they don't whip out their cocks in front of their employees, not do they hit their wives.

These movements are for educating people. Many people weren't aware of how common these occurrences are.

These movements can catch on like wildfire and spread to other areas of the globe. They can potentially change cultures and give women the courage to speak up.

In some cases, like the metoo movement, it may raise awareness of old men who really didn't know just how badly they have been crossing the line.

Now, that being said, the metoo movement is about one bad tweet away from losing all credibility. It isn't meant to be a shit slinging contest and to publicly call out others.

Men suddenly are being unfairly judged. People's careers and lives ruined for an ass grab 20 years ago.

If most people aren't like this, then maybe the occurrences aren't that common.

To me the BIG problem with the #metoo stuff is the people of Hollywood know that if you suck so-and-so's cock you will get a role in a movie. No it's not right. It's also not illegal if SHE wants to blow him for money and fame and he wants a blow job. That's a mutual agreement and both adults consented to it. Now apparently Weinstein RAPED people and that is far beyond what I am talking about in this post. But I have a hard time saying OMG that producer who got head was completely out of line when it's a 95% superficial line of work, and the girl was trying to get ahead of the competition, in what is pretty much a commodity market.

Basically it's like when Big John used to not take points away when guys put 1 finger down on the ground and tried to bait knees to the head and he would say "you're playing the game". These girls are playing the game. They are a dime a dozen, they are all beautiful, they can all pretend to cry and pretend to be happy, which is 95% of what is asked of female roles. Maybe Hollywood would make more complex female roles instead of blaming guys for women coming on to them.

AND then there is the whole culture of well I remember that one time when this actor hit on me when he was drunk and I didn't feel comfortable. Just STFU. You have no right to comfort and guys are allowed to try to hook up. If they did nothing to force you into anything then you need to just go away with that nonsense.

Back