Why Buakaw does not cut weight?

yeh it was right at the time he did a runner from Por pramuk

yeh it was right at the time he did a runner from Por pramuk

Can't really blame him lol, he needs to go to get media and Thai fans to his side,
before Por Pramuk shut him up again.

yes because of the rules, but so what? you re saying beeing a Lumpini champ is worth more than a K1 titel? or not compareable because of the rules?
First the diplomatic answer, you can't compare them, they are different sports. Now the not so diplomatic answer: Of course Lumpini champ is worth more than K1!! ffs there are more professional thai boxers in just Thailand then there are professional boxers in the whole world let alone kickboxers! K1 has no where near the level of depth compared to MT where the average champ retires with over 200 fights. C'mon!!! :eek:

First the diplomatic answer, you can't compare them, they are different sports. Now the not so diplomatic answer: Of course Lumpini champ is worth more than K1!! ffs there are more professional thai boxers in just Thailand then there are professional boxers in the whole world let alone kickboxers! K1 has no where near the level of depth compared to MT where the average champ retires with over 200 fights. C'mon!!! :eek:

How many muay thai fighters are in Thailand? Just going off of boxrec's somewhat spotty numbers there should be about 18,000 active professional boxers in the world. I'm not sure where someone would get accurate numbers on the number of muay thai fighters or other types of kickboxers though. I checked wbc muay thai but no luck. However, I get the feeling that if there were more than 18,000 active muay thai boxers in Thailand they would be able to fill out their middle weight, light heavyweight, and heavyweight divisions without foreign aid. If there are really that many contenders, some of them have to top 5' 10" just by virtue of the law of averages.

Plus, if your argument is that the K1 fighters lack the experience of the Muay Thai's there are a few fighters who've fought in K1 over the years with quite lengthy resumes. Buakaw Banchamek 302 fights, Andy Souwer 163 fights, Gago Drago 108 fights, Mike Zambidis 173 fights, John Wayne Parr 113 fights, Dzhabar Askerov 112 fights, Albert Kraus 94 fights, Sakmongkol Sithchuchok 254 fights, Ernesto Hoost 119 fights, Branko Cikatic 98 fights + 170 amateur fights, Changpuek Kiatsongrit 343 fights, Perry Ubeda 101 fights, Manson Gibson 119 fights, Rob Kaman 112 fights, Stan Longinidis 101 fights, Ramon Dekkers 221 fights.

How many muay thai fighters are in Thailand? Just going off of boxrec's somewhat spotty numbers there should be about 18,000 active professional boxers in the world. I'm not sure where someone would get accurate numbers on the number of muay thai fighters or other types of kickboxers though. I checked wbc muay thai but no luck. However, I get the feeling that if there were more than 18,000 active muay thai boxers in Thailand they would be able to fill out their middle weight, light heavyweight, and heavyweight divisions without foreign aid. If there are really that many contenders, some of them have to top 5' 10" just by virtue of the law of averages.

Plus, if your argument is that the K1 fighters lack the experience of the Muay Thai's there are a few fighters who've fought in K1 over the years with quite lengthy resumes. Buakaw Banchamek 302 fights, Andy Souwer 163 fights, Gago Drago 108 fights, Mike Zambidis 173 fights, John Wayne Parr 113 fights, Dzhabar Askerov 112 fights, Albert Kraus 94 fights, Sakmongkol Sithchuchok 254 fights, Ernesto Hoost 119 fights, Branko Cikatic 98 fights + 170 amateur fights, Changpuek Kiatsongrit 343 fights, Perry Ubeda 101 fights, Manson Gibson 119 fights, Rob Kaman 112 fights, Stan Longinidis 101 fights, Ramon Dekkers 221 fights.

Look at the fights on those records and you will see know one has more than 25 k1 fights (maybe Hoost) and like maybe 20 fc bouts. The majority of the fights are muaythai rules!

Also there are plenty of old middleweight thru heavyweight thai but you do not want to watch them fight because it would be like watching a NFL game played with 70 year olds. BY the time they can reach such sizes they have had 200 to 300 fights and are at the end of their self life

Look at the fights on those records and you will see know one has more than 25 k1 fights (maybe Hoost) and like maybe 20 fc bouts. The majority of the fights are muaythai rules!

That's right. I don't know what your point is though. Whatshisname was saying guys who fight in K1 suck and don't have any experience. I was pointing out that K1 has gotten a lot of high level fighters over the years who frequently have a great deal of experience.

1.) Thai's generally aren't as big as Westerners, especially pro nak muay who are typically slight of frame and/or stature due to a number of reasons (undernourished as children before taking up MT, stunted growth due to severe training during adolescence, just in too good shape to be overweight during their fighting prime, etc. Even Songchai has cited the first two reasons regarding the dearth of Thai's at heavier weight classes).
2.) The majority of that list of fighters you wrote racked up those numbers via matches outside of K-1 (in fact, Buakaw, JWP, Sakmongol, Changpuek, and Dekkers racked up most of their matches in Thailand under full MT rules; also Souwer is and was actually Shootboxing's poster boy, not K-1's).

Your post just doesn't make sense, man! :wink:

1.) Thai's generally aren't as big as Westerners, especially pro nak muay who are typically slight of frame and/or stature due to a number of reasons (undernourished as children before taking up MT, stunted growth due to severe training during adolescence, just in too good shape to be overweight during their fighting prime, etc. Even Songchai has cited the first two reasons regarding the dearth of Thai's at heavier weight classes).
2.) The majority of that list of fighters you wrote racked up those numbers via matches outside of K-1 (in fact, Buakaw, JWP, Sakmongol, Changpuek, and Dekkers racked up most of their matches in Thailand under full MT rules; also Souwer is and was actually Shootboxing's poster boy, not K-1's).

Your post just doesn't make sense, man! :wink:

Again, I am aware that the fighters gained most of their experience outside of K1. But they did compete in K1. The man's point was that only inferior fighters with hardly any fights fight in K1. I think I've proved that point false.

Again, I am aware that the fighters gained most of their experience outside of K1. But they did compete in K1. The man's point was that only inferior fighters with hardly any fights fight in K1. I think I've proved that point false.

No you haven't because all the guys with by far the most fights on your list were ex Muay Thai fighters who weren't the best at Muay Thai. What you have done is really prove my point, there is a bigger depth of talent in Muay Thai than K1.

As for why there is a dearth of heavier Thai Nak Muay, Thais rarely get that big. That's why Ganyao Fairtex retired so early, he couldn't get any opponents. Thailand is a poor country, genetically thais aren't that big plus their diet and nutrition isn't at western levels. If you look at other countries like South Korea vs North Korea who are essentially genetically the same people, you'll find that south koreas are on average at least 3 inchces taller than their northern cousins. That is due to diet.

Last edited:
I'm still waiting for another Thai to come to Glory and make a splash like Buakaw did in K-1. Will it happen? Doubt it.

Buakaw might be top 25 for muay thai fighters at 70kg. But he's not even ranked in Thailand.

And the differences between k-1 rules kickboxing and muay thai are much bigger than a casual glance would suggest. Almost as big a difference as in boxing vs kickboxing.

You will need to spar with a decent MT guy to understand how it is. Being in a thai clinch with a capable guy while he is raining elbows on you is like being in meat grinder.

I'm still waiting for another Thai to come to Glory and make a splash like Buakaw did in K-1. Will it happen? Doubt it.
http://www.gloryworldseries.com/en/fighters/view/2616

Its going to happen. Muay Thai popularity has grown so much in the past two years and I'm not sure why theres a sudden interest. Maybe people are sick of lay and pray in mma?

And theres Thais fighting in a big American promotion in Lion Fights too. Glory and Lion Fights is sparking huge interest for KB/MT in north america.

Buakaw might be top 25 for muay thai fighters at 70kg. But he's not even ranked in Thailand.

That's not exactly true. Buakaw was in the Lumpinee top 10 at his prime IIRC, and he was the Omnoi Stadium champ. It's true that he was never a Lumpinee, Rajadamnern, or Thailand champion, but he wasn't unranked either -- I remember that when Masato was dominating the Max series, he actually asked for a Thailand champion-level nak muay to fight; FEG entered into a deal with the Por. Pramuk camp who sent Buakaw as trial/tune up fight for Masato (with the potential that if Masato beat Buakaw, that Por. Pramuk might have then sent Namsaknoi, who is the fighter that Masato was implied to have requested originally). :eek: One of the K-1 VTR's mentioned this during Buakaw's second season with Max or thereabouts.

who are all these people shitting on Buakaw?

please post picture og yourself..

or better yet: a video maybe. :)

Yup

And he was ranked #1 in Lumpinee behind his stablemate Namsaknoi.

So basically Namsaknoi kept him from being a Lumpinee Champ? I mean he wouldnt fight his stablemate for the belt, right?
Judging from his performance lately, I cant see any top level 70kg Thaiguys beat him.
He sure was a beast in his prime.

So basically Namsaknoi kept him from being a Lumpinee Champ? I mean he wouldnt fight his stablemate for the belt, right?
Judging from his performance lately, I cant see any top level 70kg Thaiguys beat him.
He sure was a beast in his prime.

Possibly

In between title defenses Namsaknoi would sometime fight above 135 pounds and wait until he had to defend the belt to go back down. At least this is how I see it.

Buakaw should have gotten a shot at sometime, maybe Namsaknoi refused to vacate title and only defend it when he had to. Didn't want Buakaw taking the title perhaps.

Buakaw did not cut weight for K1 Max because he needed to be -70. In the lower weights there was no opportunity to make money. Same reason all lightheavyweights want to fight heavyweight,simply for reasons of money.

Back