Why Boxing over MMA? | Page 2

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by MoreKane, May 16, 2017.

1. MyEnglishIsPeperoni White Belt

MyEnglishIsPeperoni
    different taste? o_O

2. Minowafanatic Brown Belt

Minowafanatic
    Boxing is more exciting for me, there's more punches(/strikes) being thrown, distance is closer, and the technique is much more refined at comparative levels. Fights tend to go longer and have their own story to them, whereas even MMA title fights between competitively matched fighters often just end up finishing in a single round which I personally find to be pretty underwhelming. MMA fighters often have glaring weaknesses or holes in their game too which makes it much less interesting to watch. Having boxed as an amateur and done a bit of coaching, I can also appreciate and understand boxing better, and can also recognise and feel put off by the low level of boxing/striking present in most MMA.

Bogotazo and starwarzbud13 like this.
  3. treelo Brown Belt

treelo
    i like both sports, and follow both these days, but boxing will always hold that special thing for me

i have boxed and trained in several martial arts, and even though it is only one discipline, boxing has so many factors that can decide a fight and i believe much more artistry involved(even if it is only one discipline)

PHATV and starwarzbud13 like this.
  4. moosaev Orange Belt

moosaev
    Boxing has a precision that the MMA lacks for me. At its highest levels its so beautiful to watch. Watch highlights of James Toney's defense, or Finito Lopez's offense and you'll know what I mean. There is a mastery of art at the highest levels of boxing that MMA can't match IMO.

That said, from an entertainment standpoint,...MMA delivers more consistently. But that's only because they're better at setting competitive matches. A good year in boxing is more entertaining than a good MMA year,...but an average boxing year is worse than an average MMA year.

5. JayMuaythai Purple Belt

JayMuaythai
    I like both boxing and MMA but hate all that ground shit in MMA. It can make the fight slow and boring. The real question is why isn't kickboxing more popular. Most of the time the fights are way more entertaining than both sports.

6. MoreKane Yellow Belt

MoreKane
    My myself, i find that the elite in boxing are often greater than the elite of mma

starwarzbud13 and Bogotazo like this.
  7. RoyCisneros Black Belt

RoyCisneros
    glowing sweat?!?! I'M IN!

Marc A and starwarzbud13 like this.
  8. aries Red Belt

aries
    At the minute I'm going through a heavy boxing phase. I think we've had some really great fights recently which has helped but for me although I love MMA (I like grappling) I just don't think it has the depth of talent that you get with boxing. I still watch MMA but often after the event has aired when I have time. With boxing I try to watch it as soon as possible or live preferentially.

JeffDredd likes this.
  9. treelo Brown Belt

treelo
    because kickboxing is sloppy and shit!

10. JayMuaythai Purple Belt

JayMuaythai
    Depends what fighters you're watching. The sport has a lot of potential especially recently where more Thai's are being signed to big promotions and many of them have the same type of skill level within their sport that some of the top guys in boxing have within boxing.

Minowafanatic likes this.
  11. stuff jones Green Belt

stuff jones
    MMA involved men rolling around on top of each other + inferior boxing.

Does that answer your question?

12. WildWestWhoopAss White Belt

WildWestWhoopAss
    I love both mma and boxing, but mma is not a sport in my opinion. Since there are no cross promotion between the various organisations. Not to mention that the UFC belt is worth about a $100 and the production is horrible.

Boxing is more of a sport, though not without its problems, and that is important to me.

Marc A and Minowafanatic like this.
  13. FightingShadows White Belt

FightingShadows
    Love both , but the old timers can't stand mma especially watching two blokes on the ground together or ground and pound, too brutal for them.

JeffDredd likes this.
  14. TeenageMutantLesnarTurtle White Belt

TeenageMutantLesnarTurtle
    Agreed. The ruleset tends to encourage action more than MMA or boxing. That said, as much as I like Glory, things dont feel quite as big and exciting as they did back in the days of K-1 GPs and all those big names at their peak.

15. ccm22 White Belt

ccm22
    I like them both, but they frustrate the hell out of me. Boxing, of course, because the big fights often don't get made. Or if they do it's years after they should have been made. MMA because of the trashiness of its marketing. Also, a lot of MMA looks like c-level boxing or kickboxing to me, and that is tough to love. I'm a big fan of the bjj.