Why BJJ is so expensive

It's not that BJJ training is expensive, it's that Americans have a disgusting sense of entitlement towards everything.

If you train 3-5 times a week, it comes down to a few bucks a class.
If your school limits the amount of classes you can take, then I feel for you.

BJJ costs more than golf? Do you know how much a country club membership costs in America?

No shit. If you are member, it costs a lot more than $120 a month to be there and if you are not a member, a decent round of golf can cost $40 at least (and I've played for $350 once).

With $350, I could get a private lesson from some of the best BJJ guys in the world....or just one round of golf at some places.

Having been an avid golfer, I can tell you that my BJJ habit is MUCH cheaper.

I just started BJJ and this is what I have to say about the cost:

I'm an avid golfer and guitar player (I work management for Guitar Center). On an average week I can spend an average of 60 dollars a week on golf. That's averaging in cost of equipment, green fees, range shooting, etc. (keep in mind this is a middle number. sometimes it can cost A LOT more depending on the course I play). So average that out to an estimated 240 dollars a month just to play golf. Thats not including instruction! Now with guitars, even with my insanely awesome discount, I've already spent 2 grand in one guitar and one amplifier this year! Not to mention the 100 a month on instruction (yes after years of playing the good players still take lessons!).
Now compare this to what is paid for excellent BJJ training; an average of 150 a month. that's nearly a hundred dollars cheap than my golf habit alone! Here in America we tend to haggle everything and become very frugal with everything in life. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but we should take note that in retrospect BJJ is about as expensive as every day sports and hobbies in America, and sometimes cheaper!

85 dollars a month for classes every day of the week plus an MMA fight team at my school. I know thats an awesome price.

I pay $40 a month, class Mon-Thursday & Saturday. Only one class a day but it is 2.5 hours

As stated before, I think think this is largely due to property values (i.e., higher rent in the States), particularly in big cities where many of your higher profile "name" teachers go to instruct people. It's also an issue of lack of quality competition and the lack of a more cost-efficient alternative.

It's not that BJJ training is expensive, it's that Americans have a disgusting sense of entitlement towards everything.

But, I don't have a problem so much with BJJ being relatively expensive... well, not nearly as much as I do with the, uh, attire you have on or just your general point of view toward everybody, but let's go kill some birds. I'm psyched.

YouTube - Wedding Crashers

$99 a month for me.. train 4 nights a week. Seems cheap.

Ok really old thread, but I did a week's free training at Alliance MMA and it really does seem very expensive. It's 170 a month, but only if I sign up for a year contract.

otherwise it's 40 a day..

really that's pretty damn expensive.

I here a lot of people complain about how expensive BJJ is where they live and, honestly, I think often the complaints are reasonable. After all, if you train at a Judo club in the same area you often pay, what, 1/3rd the amount.
The difference, I think, is profit. Most Judo clubs I have come across are run by people who are not looking to make money of it. After all, how could you make money teaching Judo to people at $50 a month unless you had huge classes?
If I ever become qualified to be an instructor (at my current rate of progress probably sometime next decade) I want to start a club style program and, hopefully, share space with either a Judo or Wrestling club. How is our sport ever going to become as mainstream as either Judo or Wrestling until kids have access to cheap quality training? Just my two cents.... I wanted to procrastinate rather than write a research paper about
What do you think? Can BJJ ever become a truly mainstream sport with instruction as expensive as it is?

I think to a certain extent you get what you pay for. Most BJJ gyms, you can train every day, often multiple times a day if you have the time, with a professional instructor. Judo, in my experience, you have maybe 3-4 times a week, often not a dedicated training center (and Judo on wrestling mats HURTS), and an instructor with a main job other than teaching Judo. BJJ hasn't been around in the states that long, but already Americans are starting to get pretty decent at the international level, and I think that ability to train all the time facilitated by professional instruction is a big reason.

I would also be interested in how much Judo costs outside the US compared to BJJ. In countries where Judo is a big deal (France, for example), is it less expensive?

Kenny speaks the truth. BJJ is cheaper than most sports. When I was a kid, I played hockey and I could do 3 months of Bjj for the cost of a pair of skates.

I pay 150$ a month for BJJ 3 times a week (2 gi, 1 no gi under two purple belts), roster size is about 10, 4 MT classes, and 2 mma. Not always able to attend due to hmwk but if i can make it i'm at all of them. As a student, i can barely afford this and have to use the food bank at school some times just so i can train. My gym is the cheapest in the area that i can attend, everything else is primarily in the big city to which i cant get to. BJJ alone is 100$ a month. Of which would still almost put me in the food bank, almost.

My previous bjj club before i moved to go to school was 50 $ a month under a purple belt from fukuoka japan. We trained 5 days a week for scheduled classes but 6 am classes were popping up quite regularly. They have a current roster of approximately 25.

But, i may decide to go get some world class wrestling instruction for free at the university 4 days a week under 3 olympians and 2 olympic coaches, so i can actually have money to eat good food. Competitions are also free, and arent 60$ for single elimination like BJJ and their bullshit money grabs. So after november i'll likely be out of bjj.

Non competitive BB will usually charge less than say a multiple time IBJJF champion if they're honest, and most are.I mean how could you justify charging the same as a champion? I personally would not pay more than $120 a month for unlimited classes.If you can get unlimited with a BB for less than $120 you're doing good.

Very expensive to train in certain places, especially here in SoCal, but instructors do work with you. You can clean the mats, do small-work at the academy, teach, etc.

If you're not really into BJJ, you wouldn't pay the fee. If you're really into it, you'll do the extra work to train. So yeah, that's just how it is. For people who really want to learn, they'll pay. End of story. If you're truly too poor and you have no routes, well, you're a rare breed if you can't find a single school to work with you.

I remember reading GJJ was thought of as for the rich and privileged in Brazil.

Last edited:
My BJJ school charges $99 a month. It's also the only school in my area that offered a primary focus on just BJJ, unless I wanted to drive 30-40 minutes to another school. All the other schools in the area are designed towards MMA and around $120 or higher. I also looked in to Judo which the closest was charging $130 and with my schedule I would only be able to go to 2 classes a week. With my BJJ school I can make 6 classes a week, and at a cheaper price much more worth it.

... Except its not expensive. 130 bucks for unlimited bjj.. So if you go to 4 classes a week that's 6 hours. So 24 hours a month... so they are making like 5$ a fucking hour off you. Always felt that is incredibly cheap. Hell, it used to cost even less.

Back