Why being a Dutch MMA/UFC fan sucks.

This isn't unique to the Dutch. this is unique to almost every country outside of the Americas.

MMA as we now know it began in the Americas and that's why it still dominates. It will take time to build bases in other places. It's only 25 years old.

Also, it's the massive concentration of BJJ guys, and wrestlers causes this imbalance.

Until those forms of grappling reach a higher level, then there will be large gaps.

Dutch are doing just fine given how small of a country it is population wise.

Bas Rutten
Our only male UFC champ to date. Yes he was a great fighter and is a legend, but his succes was in a time where basically nobody watched MMA (i didn't) and pole vault was a bigger sport.. to just name a random one.

Antoni Hardonk
Had some potential with his devastating legkicks, but got KO'd twice in a row by Kongo and Barry and just decided to quit.

Alistair Overeem
Was once considered almost unbeatable, but that era will always be tainted because of obvious PED use. Then became this 50-50 guy that could be KO'd at any moment in any fight. We almost had a glorious moment when he fought Stipe for the title, but then he got caught again and was done. Also received the most vicious KO of the year by Ngannou.

Stefan Struve
Was one of the most promising young HW fighters about 10 years ago.. even KO'd Stipe, but then failed to get better. Never developed his jab, basically remained the same old Struve while the sport evolved. Will be remembered as a gatekeeper at best.

Germaine de Randamie
One of the best female kickboxers in the world, legit AF, actually won a title, but the fight was tainted with after the bell striking and then completely washed away by refusing to fight Cyborg. Basically just a fighter to be ashamed of.

Gegard Mousasi
One of the best fighters of this time. Was on his way to become a true champ... left UFC.

Gokhan Saki
I guess our only last hope, but has huge cardio issues that will probably not be fixed. Also will be demolished by the first good wrestler he faces without a doubt.

Bonus: Saki, even though living in Rotterdam, the Netherlands, decides to fight for Turkey since we have tensions between our countries.

Must be great to be American i guess, you can even choose a fighter you like or dislike. All we have is this list.

Big pro of being Dutch = having nice girls and superior genetics... by which i mean nice girls.
maxresdefault.jpg

gegard was born in Iran

Kickboxing just taking to many talents there.
Should try to get some Kickboxers to do MMA.

Btw. I think a big problem is the lack of "bigger" local shows, hopefully manhoefs WFL can break through and become a big player in the Benelux/west european MMA scene.

he was born in Iran if i'm not mistaken
He was, but he basically lived his whole live in NL and speaks Dutch without any accent. I've had a few boxing trainings with him, a really nice guy. Too bad he moved to Bellator...

Kickboxing just taking to many talents there.
Should try to get some Kickboxers to do MMA.

Btw. I think a big problem is the lack of "bigger" local shows, hopefully manhoefs WFL can break through and become a big player in the Benelux/west european MMA scene.
Manhoef is doing more Kickboxing events than MMA events...

He was, but he basically lived his whole live in NL and speaks Dutch without any accent. I've had a few boxing trainings with him, a really nice guy. Too bad he moved to Bellator...

ahh ok ok thanks for that lil bit of info I had no idea. Seems like a nice guy. Unfortunately in the times of WME his nice guy attitude wasn't getting him anywhere, and they don't give a fuck about his skill or legendary status in the fight game. Sad how they let him go like that. I hope he is getting paid well, and enjoying the move as best he can.

That's actually a pretty decent output of high level fighters for a small country of about 15 mil people.

Canada has more than double that population, yet all we have is:

1. GSP
2. Rory

3. Patrick Cote
Carlos Newton too. But like Bas, retired.

ahh ok ok thanks for that lil bit of info I had no idea. Seems like a nice guy. Unfortunately in the times of WME his nice guy attitude wasn't getting him anywhere, and they don't give a fuck about his skill or legendary status in the fight game. Sad how they let him go like that. I hope he is getting paid well, and enjoying the move as best he can.
He did what he felt was right and made a statement. I respect him for it but it's a pity, I honestly believe he would become a UFC champ.

Bas Rutten
Our only male UFC champ to date. Yes he was a great fighter and is a legend, but his succes was in a time where basically nobody watched MMA (i didn't) and pole vault was a bigger sport.. to just name a random one.

Antoni Hardonk
Had some potential with his devastating legkicks, but got KO'd twice in a row by Kongo and Barry and just decided to quit.

Alistair Overeem
Was once considered almost unbeatable, but that era will always be tainted because of obvious PED use. Then became this 50-50 guy that could be KO'd at any moment in any fight. We almost had a glorious moment when he fought Stipe for the title, but then he got caught again and was done. Also received the most vicious KO of the year by Ngannou.

Stefan Struve
Was one of the most promising young HW fighters about 10 years ago.. even KO'd Stipe, but then failed to get better. Never developed his jab, basically remained the same old Struve while the sport evolved. Will be remembered as a gatekeeper at best.

Germaine de Randamie
One of the best female kickboxers in the world, legit AF, actually won a title, but the fight was tainted with after the bell striking and then completely washed away by refusing to fight Cyborg. Basically just a fighter to be ashamed of.

Gegard Mousasi
One of the best fighters of this time. Was on his way to become a true champ... left UFC.

Gokhan Saki
I guess our only last hope, but has huge cardio issues that will probably not be fixed. Also will be demolished by the first good wrestler he faces without a doubt.

Bonus: Saki, even though living in Rotterdam, the Netherlands, decides to fight for Turkey since we have tensions between our countries.

Must be great to be American i guess, you can even choose a fighter you like or dislike. All we have is this list.

Big pro of being Dutch = having nice girls and superior genetics... by which i mean nice girls.
maxresdefault.jpg
OVereem was the lineal HW champion when he beat Werdum in strikeforce. You can say he was juicing but so werr most elite guys back then. Between him and Bas you guys have done well.

Bas Rutten

Antoni Hardonk

Alistair Overeem

Stefan Struve

Germaine de Randamie

Gegard Mousasi

Gokhan Saki

maxresdefault.jpg

Overeem is British

Can confirm about the women. I went to Amsterdam a few years back.. even the old girls have round muscled asses from all the bike riding

Overeem is British
He was born in Great Britain because his Dutch mom had a son with her African boyfriend who lived there. After they broke up she moved back to NL with him. He is as Dutch as can be, ask him and he'll tell you the same.

View attachment 359533 View attachment 359535 View attachment 359537
In your pictures one on the left is a bit too small for comparison. But i assure you its not the same nose. Not even close. Thats a 100% nose job or more liekely 2. Noone in the world has square nose tip naturally. She does. Just how you go from this http://forums.sherdog.com/attachments/1-jpg.359533/
to this
http://forums.sherdog.com/attachments/3-jpg.359537/
For reference - human ears and nose do get bigger ever so slightly with age. Hers just got narrower by close to 50%.
BTW this is 100% besides the point of the thread ;)

Fair enough, you are right. My bad!

You motherfuckers once had a Dutch king.

I believe he was killed or something.. no idea.

Then you ruled 90% of the world.. fair enough.. we traded New York for Suriname though.
Suriname is veautiful and so are their women

I don't see how a thread about the Dutch could reach this length.

I mean, we're discussing hills, supermodels, and teeth.

Somewhere along the way, the English got involved and then...ah, fuck it.

Back