Why aren't top pro fights sanctioned with 16 Oz gloves?

spacetime

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It's safer for the competitors and you can still go full contact. Win-win?

Is it really that much harder to knock someone out with a clean shot in 16 oz?

Last edited:
It's safer for the competitors, and you can still go full contact. Win-win?

Is it really that much harder to knock someone out with a clean shot in 16 oz?

There's something to be said about bigger gloves enabling boxers to hit harder without worry. There's going to be diminishing returns at some point, but for a drastic comparison look at bare-knuckle boxer vs. a professional boxer. Professional boxers don't have to be as shy about aiming for the head hard.

There's something to be said about bigger gloves enabling boxers to hit harder without worry. There's going to be diminishing returns at some point, but for a drastic comparison look at bare-knuckle boxer vs. a professional boxer. Professional boxers don't have to be as shy about aiming for the head hard.

Why do you think it was ultimately rejected? Any idea?

Why do you think it was ultimately rejected? Any idea?

Why do I think what was rejected? Bigger gloves? Not sure it was a matter of rejecting them as much as they were just not considered. It's at the discretion of each state athletic commission. It's not a part of the unified rules of boxing.

Greater mass equals greater energy, assuming velocity remains the same. IE, you’d hit harder with 16s than 12s. Even if you have more padding, you’d have more total energy.

If you have more padding, you also have what one magazine termed lower “peak force” and longer “impact duration.” Additionally, “lower peak force and a longer impact duration give the brain more time to deform, and that’s suspected to be a key contributing factor in CTE and other brain injuries.”

I read another study where lighter gloves result in more surface trauma and thus easier knockouts. Heavier gloves, which have that lower peak force/longer impact duration, are more prone to cause ones brain to bounce inside the skull while being less likely to result in a knockout. (Sorry, no links for this one.) Same result as above but via different means.

I don’t think heavier gloves are safer.

Greater mass equals greater energy, assuming velocity remains the same. IE, you’d hit harder with 16s than 12s. Even if you have more padding, you’d have more total energy.

If you have more padding, you also have what one magazine termed lower “peak force” and longer “impact duration.” Additionally, “lower peak force and a longer impact duration give the brain more time to deform, and that’s suspected to be a key contributing factor in CTE and other brain injuries.”

I read another study where lighter gloves result in more surface trauma and thus easier knockouts. Heavier gloves, which have that lower peak force/longer impact duration, are more prone to cause ones brain to bounce inside the skull while being less likely to result in a knockout. (Sorry, no links for this one.) Same result as above but via different means.

So why does my boxing coach say I'm allowed to punch harder in sparring with 16 0z... There are clearly pros and cons supposing what you write is true... And the cons of 160z according to you sounds graver

I don’t think heavier gloves are safer.

The mma study showed that the difference in force between MMA gloves and Boxing gloves were greater wearing the MMA gloves.

The mma study showed that the difference in force between MMA gloves and Boxing gloves were greater wearing the MMA gloves.

A lower peak force and a longer impact duration give the brain more time to deform, and that’s suspected to be a key contributing factor in CTE and other brain injuries.

A lower peak force and a longer impact duration give the brain more time to deform, and that’s suspected to be a key contributing factor in CTE and other brain injuries.

I'm no physics major but that makes no sense. How could lower force produce longer impact duration?

Last edited:
So why does my boxing coach say I'm allowed to punch harder in sparring with 16 0z... There are clearly pros and cons supposing what you write is true... And the cons of 160z according to you sounds graver

I don’t know why your coach says it’s ok to hit harder when sparring with 16-oz gloves. You cannot get around the fact that greater mass equates to greater force, though.

Gloves are worn to protect hands, not heads.

I'm no physics major but that makes no sense. How could lower force produce longer impact duration?

That’s not lower total force, that’s lower peak force. IE, the padding in boxing gloves gives more energy overall but less snappy (lower peak energy) than MMA gloves.

I don’t know why your coach says it’s ok to hit harder when sparring with 16-oz gloves. You cannot get around the fact that greater mass equates to greater force, though.

Greater mass clearly did not excert greater force because there are more variables involved, it is explained here :

Ray Mercer, a knockout artist, said that with mma gloves, he only needs one clean shot on the chin to knock ANYONE out. Why isn't this the case in boxing, supposing your force/mass equations are correct.

Bare fisted produces FAR greater impact than with big boxing gloves or small mma gloves. It says so in the study

The difference was so great that it wouldn't matter if Bas in theory had a slightly better punch thrown with either one.

Clearly there are a lot of variables involved between two different punches. But you can’t get around physics.

Mercer’s claim is correct. Knockouts are more likely with MMA gloves. Again, it’s the difference between peak force and total force. The headgear protection argument is along the same idea: the padding prevents knockouts but actually can increase head trauma.

16-oz gloves offer better hand protection, not head protection.

Bare fisted produces FAR greater impact than with big boxing gloves or small mma gloves. It says so in the study

The difference was so great that it wouldn't matter if Bas in theory had a slightly better punch thrown with either one.

You're only acknowledging the parts of the study that confirm what you already believed, and ignoring the parts that don't.

You got off to an alright start but it's pretty clear you just want this to become an MMA vs. boxing debate now.

You got off to an alright start but it's pretty clear you just want this to become an MMA vs. boxing debate now.

. It is an argument against the force theory, since force is ultimately what produces knockouts, all else equal (same part being hit etc)

No, I don't care about MMA vs boxing in this respect. It is an argument against the force theory, since force is ultimately what produces knockouts, all else equal (same part being hit etc)

You clearly have a dog in the "bigger gloves mean less damage" race. Again, you're only acknowledging the parts of the study that confirm what you already believed, and ignoring the parts that don't. When it suits you, you use the study. When it doesn't, you use anecdotes. You didn't come in hear to learn anything, you came in here to have your preconceived notions confirmed.

Back