why are you working out so much? whats wrong with you?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by DynamicLoosener, Oct 29, 2017.

1. DynamicLoosener Grass Fed Free Range Dolce Belt

DynamicLoosener
    My parents and a few other family members (i was at a family gathering) all asked me "why are you working out so much?"

So because I started running in the morning and evening and doing basic lifting with dumbells sends a red flag to my family that there is something wrong with ME? lol

Now whenever I go to family gatherings family members i barely ever talk to break the ice about running or working out.

People do everything they can to make you feel bad about being healthy and fit. Its so stupid lol.

PS: this thread isnt about this specific time, its about what I have noticed over the years.

JRY82 likes this.
  2. ctrlaltdelete Purple Belt

ctrlaltdelete
    well its a lot better than picking up drinking.

when someone asks you that, say " i like taking care if my body, i feel good and i am healthy. whats your excuse / problem ?"

3. LatFlare EADC

LatFlare
    Next time they say that shit pull out a pack of durries and light 5 at once.

4. j123 Pro Sherdogger 500-0-1

j123
    I don't even bother bringing up working out or exercising in any way unless they bring it up. Its always ended up being a weird pissing contest where "I used to that, but [heavier/faster] than what you did".

Not only that, but the average person you come across aren't serious athletes, fighters, etc. so one, they don't know how to properly do things, and two, they don't get it. No matter how much you try to say why and how, they don't get it, and deep down judge you.

4daLuLZ and ctrlaltdelete like this.
  5. Phlog Black Belt

Phlog
    I had some family mention my getting bigger and suggesting it can be a problem.

I pointed out I am dealing with 300lb defensive linemen trying to put my face in the dirt and that I work as a doorman. They shut up about it.

bad seed and ctrlaltdelete like this.
  6. hearthstone25 Blue Belt

hearthstone25
    When they ask that hit them with the most muscular pose!

Stoic1 and bad seed like this.
  7. boingyman Green Belt

boingyman
    Tell them it's the only way you can legally carry guns with you at all times

My mom you use to tell me to stop working out, you're getting too big all the time being 5'6" 160-170ish pounds...

Phlog and j123 like this.
  8. JosephDredd Silver Belt

JosephDredd
    I just say, "why are you discouraging me from something i enjoy? I would never discourage you."

If they persist: "There are enough reasons for me to fail without a family member making it harder and i would never make you question yourself."

After that i get rude. Only had one person persist after that bit of simple honesty.

adam199, Phlog and JauntyAngle like this.
  9. PUO3 You are a can.

PUO3
    Start slamming Dbol in front of them imo.

My favorite is when coworkers act like Im weird for preparing healthy meals (most the time) and bringing them to work.

Like uhhh sorry for not guzzling two liters of Coke and smashing down pizza 5x a week?

adam199, j123 and Ayin like this.
  10. JauntyAngle International man of mystery

JauntyAngle
    I always get people thinking I am weird for turning down snacks and junk food at work. Sometimes they ask me why, I say I want to control my weight. They look at me and say "Why, you're not fat at all". Somehow they don't realize that the reason I am not fat is that I don't slam the junk and snacks.

11. corpse Orange Belt

corpse
    to be honest, running twice a day sounds like something is wrong

12. j123 Pro Sherdogger 500-0-1

j123
    Its even worse on cut week where I have to eat even more tame, or the water's not coming off in the days to come.

13. Nesruk Yellow Belt

Nesruk
    I think its the same issue as a guy mentioned when I read about learning to dress better earlier: when you start to look better or do something to take care of yourself and feel/look better they start looking at themselves and they might feel bad about themselves and what they do. So instead of working on themselves they'd rather you stop doing what you're doing and be on their level.

sideboob likes this.
  14. aus101 Brown Belt

aus101
    Tell them the closest thing in terms of weight, bodyfat etc to a human in the animal kingdom is a domestic pig. Let that pig wild and he becomes a boar.

Due to domesticity humans suffer the same debilitating fate. The best known cure is exercise nearly every day.

15. Noodles03 Blue Belt

Noodles03

I think it’s a sign of insecurity and that’s why they would criticize those who are into improving their health.

16. PUO3 You are a can.

PUO3
    What is self control?

Conversely its also fun when youre trying to get bigger or add some food to help the strength. “Why are you always eating?” “Why do you want to get bigger?”
    Good point. Its crazy that attempting to be healthy isnt the normal.

17. MisterHappy White Belt

MisterHappy
    I'd tell them "Because when the aliens return riding dinosaurs and usher in the era of the weight lifting apocalypse I want to be ready." Then walk away.

[​IMG]

18. adam199 Purple Belt

adam199
    This is my brother in a nut shell. I try to avoid talking to him about working out because it turns into him attempting to correct my entire routine/diet. He's one of those guys that got his Ph.D from the bodybuilding.com forums, whereas I learned from a trainer who really knows his shit and does this for a living.

19. Palis ♔ Dicktator of the War Room

Palis
    This is a mayberry thread btw but its because they are jealous.

20. orca Machida Fan

orca
    My parents also told me to stop working out coz my arms are getting big but my legs are so small