Why are we talking about social welfare when corporate welfare is by far our biggest cost?

You sound like the typical Trumptard bootlicker.

No, I sound like someone that used to go work with my father, and watch people trade booze for food stamps.

This scam has been going on far too long. You’re either too naive to know what is going on, or you condone it. Either way, you should be embarrassed.

No, I sound like someone that used to go work with my father, and watch people trade booze for food stamps.

This scam has been going on far too long. You’re either too naive to know what is going on, or you condone it. Either way, you should be embarrassed.

You should be embarrassed that you consistently vote against your own interests. I'm sure that wealth will trickle down you to any minute now . . .

Not that I’m huge on corporate welfare, but corporations benefit society. Social leeches do not.
Corporations have the right to pay low wages, and their employees are leeches for not making more money. Trump Fan logic!

You should be embarrassed that you consistently vote against your own interests. I'm sure that wealth will trickle down you to any minute now . . .

It did, the tax cuts put money in our pockets. But, you knew that already, because it put more money in your pocket too.

Why do you asume they are pieces of shit who leeches?

Sounds like you are a pice of shit person...

Because I see these folks all the time. If you’re hanging out drinking at noon on a Tuesday, you’re a piece of shit.

Because it's easier to criticize poor people in need than abstract wealthy companies.

99% of the people don't even understand corporate welfare.

Because it's easier to criticize poor people in need than abstract wealthy companies.

99% of the people don't even understand corporate welfare.

Yeah, among economists, there is almost universal, across-the-spectrum agreement that "corporate welfare" (which I'd define as non-universal subsidies) has a negative impact. The arguments for it involve inter-municipality competition (and often fail on their own merits--see the example of sports stadiums) rather than any belief that it helps the national economy. Conversely, means-tested benefits help in a recession and probably have a very minor negative impact in a strong economy. Before seeing this thread, I wasn't aware that there were people who think that cronyism stimulates the economy.

The need for social welfare exists specifically because of the flaws and failures of our particular form of capitalism.

The job providers, who can not provide a sufficient amount of jobs, love to blame the unemployed for their condition.

Its a sadistic position.

Yeah, among economists, there is almost universal, across-the-spectrum agreement that "corporate welfare" (which I'd define as non-universal subsidies) has a negative impact. The arguments for it involve inter-municipality competition (and often fail on their own merits--see the example of sports stadiums) rather than any belief that it helps the national economy. Conversely, means-tested benefits help in a recession and probably have a very minor negative impact in a strong economy. Before seeing this thread, I wasn't aware that there were people who think that cronyism stimulates the economy.

Fun example of this: the ownership of the Calgary Flames (as well as the NHL) went to great lengths to manipulate the latest mayoral elections in order to elect a mayor who would approve an absurd deal for their new arena. The commissioner of the NHL publicly stated that the current mayor was being ''wholly unreasonable'' and that there was no possibility of a deal unless and until the Mayor caved in (he then hilariously went on to state that the NHL stayed out of politics). The Flames ownership group ran campaign advertisements for the current Mayor's opponent during their games.

Well, even Calgary which is easily the most conservative, most pro-business major city in Canada, and every bit as hockey mad as any other Canadian city voted for Nenshi - the original mayor. That particular cat is so out of the bag (specifically, that arena deals suck dick) that Calgary of all places essentially said ''Bye, Felicia.''

A lot of corporate welfare is towards the agricultural industry and there are myriad benefits from it.

A lot of corporate welfare is towards the agricultural industry and there are myriad benefits from it.

Mainly slower economic growth and higher prices, right? Oh, and I guess rich farmers get a handout, which is nice for them.

Social welfare also stimulates the economy, because poor people are spending money.

Reason American critics ignore corporate welfare is because poor people are an easy target. Rich people have media and politicians on their side. Social Darwinism is also a popular sentiment on the right. Most critics of welfare are conservative, and conservatives are corporate friendly.

Another reason is race; critics of welfare are predominantly on the right, with the caricature of the Black welfare mom with numerous kids being a trope conservatives have used for political gain.
And a lot of what people would call "corporate welfare" is squandered. For example, many companies are taking savings from tax cuts and simply distributing to shareholders. Ok, great for them, but it does nothing to help the economy.

How about none of the above.

Get rid of all forms of welfare.

I guess the dissatisfaction depends on your portfolio.

Yes, it subsidizes cheap, unhealthy foods that make people sick and in turn feeds the pharmaceutical, insurance, and healthcare industries.

It stimulates overproduction by creating false demand which reduces marginal profits. Thus the only way to remain profitable is large scale production, so family farms get crushed and sold to AgriDouche Farms, LLC.

This overproduction encourages farming practices which are detrimental to the environment, so we get horrible water quality and dead zones in the Gulf which screws the recreational and commercial fishing.

Truly a myriad of benefits. Gimme a break. We don’t need corporate welfare in agriculture.

Back