*Why are there so many guillotine attempts but so few D'Arce and Anaconda attempts?*

Seiryoku Zenyo

We are all one
@Brown
Reaction score
I mean, the guillotine must be the 2nd most common choke on MMA since UFC 1, only after the RNC.

On the other hand, the D'Arce and the Anaconda are very rare. Why's that? Cause the D'Arce seems more effective, more dificult to escape, and seem to require less effort to get the choke.

Guillotine is the more BASIC taught choke in most BJJ schools from my experience.

a darce choke looks hard to go for. as a non ufc traner.

and no anaconda chokes because Nick Ring hardly fights and Jenna Jameson isnt a fighter

more affective

giphy.gif

The guillotine just seems like a natural reaction. Other chokes look like they require more technique.

Guillotine is far less technical. When Kendall Grove got the d'arce on Alan Belcher and I had no idea wtf was going on, maybe Belcher didn't either.

When Yoshida got the anaconda on War Machine I didn't know wtf was happening, neither did Jon

Another choke that looks horrifying is the one Rothwell used on Barnett and Mittrione. I bet it will make anyone think twice about shooting on him

Guillotines are everywhere, especially in MMA, and there's many varieties. D'arce and anaconda both require a more specific set of conditions to attempt, and are more technically difficult to apply properly.

I still dont understand the difference between a Darce and an anaconda

Drake's D'Arce choke is unrivaled by anybody ever, in the history of martial arts. True story.
Fact.

Everyone you've ever seen even attempt a d'arce...was taught how to perform said d'arce by myself.

It's quicker to just grab a neck for a guillotine when someone shoots and has their arms apart for a TD. You can also finish much easier from the bottom if they do complete the TD. The other chokes are generally from a different position with both guys on the ground, not in a transition like a guillotine.

Fact.

Everyone you've ever seen even attempt a d'arce...was taught how to perform said d'arce by myself.

The name D'Arce actionally does not come from Joe D'Arce, Joe D'Arce learned it from Drake. Mayhem mistakingly gave the choke the name D'Arce because he was under the impression that Joe D'Arce came up with it because when Mayhem asked D'Arce where he learned it, he just ate a donut and his mouth was full, Mayhem interpreted "Drake" as "D'Arce"

True story.

The name D'Arce actionally does not come from Joe D'Arce, Joe D'Arce learned it from Drake. Mayhem mistakingly gave the choke the name D'Arce because he was under the impression that Joe D'Arce came up with it because when Mayhem asked D'Arce where he learned it, he just ate a donut and his mouth was full, Mayhem interpreted "Drake" as "D'Arce"

True story.
{<redford}100%

I can't fight pro or amateur or anything. I suck. Plus i'm 23 which in mma is about 40.

But cmon now...even in highschool fist fights to the death(or so you think) or drunk encounters with your girlfriend, FWB, EX, neighbor etc. It's like damn near instinct to guillotine someone who scoops you.

I've never seen a WSHH video where someone gets D'arced in Baltimore or something. You need to have been specifically trained or even heard of that shit first before you go slapping it on people with ease and choking them out.

Without a gator roll they are both very escapable

Its true D'arce or Anaconda are less utilized, however there is also less opportunity, you have to 'hunt' them. Guillotine, as well as hunting them, present themselves more.

The arse is used more these days. You have guys like Poirier, Cucuy, Oliveira and Davis going for it (or a variation from a head lock from the side) frequently, while it was rare like a spinning back kick 5 years ago. I think it's being used more because you don't end up on the bottom as surely, allows better control of your opponent.

The guillotine is a basic choke, often a striker's choke like Cro Cop's, Pettis' or Overeem's, so it's used more because it's easier to grab a neck than to look for a grip based on position.

Back