Why are the President's henchmen called The Secret Service?

Roca

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
We all know about them, that is a terrible secret.

May as well just call them The Service.

It would save on ink.

SS would save even more ink costs.

I think it gives the connotation that they're very ninja-like, and you're not always aware of their presence.

The Ink industry might take a hit but it's a necessary sacrifice in the name of truth & transparency

The Ink industry might take a hit but it's a necessary sacrifice in the name of truth & transparency

Big Ink might have more influence than we thought :eek:

Because they secretly service the president, know wha I sayin'?

Because they secretly service the president, know wha I sayin'?

donald-trump.gif

What's weird is that the Secret Service is actuslly an agency created to investigste and combat currency counterfeiting. They simply moonlight as the President's security. I'm not sure when exactly that began or how it came about.

well they are in the open and called "secret service" so you actually dont bother to think about the actual secret services, its genius

What's weird is that the Secret Service is actuslly an agency created to investigste and combat currency counterfeiting. They simply moonlight as the President's security. I'm not sure when exactly that began or how it came about.

They started after President McKinley was assassinated. It was requested by Congress, not sure why they picked the Secret Service out of anyone though.

Lots of things are called "the service". Not many things are called "the secret service".

Yup I am really curious how the Service got involved with presidential security. I thought they were like private security in origin.

We all know about them, that is a terrible secret.

May as well just call them The Service.

It would save on ink.

I like the term "The Service" because it sounds like something from the sex industry.

It is weird, but it makes some sense. The Secret Service were basically our only counterintelligence experts, and their jurisdiction was huge, so they were the only organization in the country that was ready to handle presidential protection. Plus they were probably looking for more work due to getting the post-Civil War counterfeiting problem under reasonable control. Their new mission was also formed as sort of an emergency in response to another assassination, so that accounts for there not being a slower, separate process to form a new organization.

Back