Why are southpaws dominating?

DrawK

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Seems like from Muay Thai to kickboxing, mma to boxing a lot of the top strikers are southpaw.

Im assuming it's because most are expierienced fighting orthodox fighters and many learned southpaw for an advantage. Could this be it or is it possible southpaw is becoming the more dominant stance?

This is pure speculation from me and was interested in some educated opinions. Lomachenko, Petrosyan, McGregor, what's the common factor?

Its more rare as an orthodox fighter to fight southpaws, they (SP) have more training time and adjusted against orthodox partners and rivals, whereas the other isn't the case. Think about it, guys like McGregor or RDA have been training their entire lives against orthodox opponents, training partners, etc. The time is always there.

Then it gets more murkier when the SP happens to be a switch hitter as well, that will screw with people if they purposely all camp have brought in lefties to prep for. A veteran fighter will be fine when this happens, but its still an issue for the less exp'd ones.

One thing I will say from exp. is SPs don't like facing other SPs, my left side has always been stronger than my right, but I'm orthodox, so I play around occasionally with SP stances and attacks; It apparently screwed with a couple of the top guys at the gym and they blanked out for abit before getting back on the groove.

When kicks are involved like in TKD switching sides seems more common, or not really as big a deal as in boxing. Even in MT, they stand pretty square already, even if they are slightly more to one side. If they shift to the other side they still are pretty square.

In MMA should matter even less, because you can grapple. If you are grappling, being attack from both sides is better than only being able to attack from one side.

Seems like from Muay Thai to kickboxing, mma to boxing a lot of the top strikers are southpaw.

Im assuming it's because most are expierienced fighting orthodox fighters and many learned southpaw for an advantage. Could this be it or is it possible southpaw is becoming the more dominant stance?

This is pure speculation from me and was interested in some educated opinions. Lomachenko, Petrosyan, McGregor, what's the common factor?
Because we're better.
:meow:

Back