Why are Republicans more worried about immigration than shrinking government?

Jkillah

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Why are Republicans more worried about immigration than reducing the size, involvement, and cost of government?

To me, cutting spending, lowering taxes, and shrinking the overall size of the government should be the main focus of those of us that are to the right of center. What effects your day to day life more, the amount of money that is taken from you through taxes from a large, costly government or the number of foreign people staying here?

You can be concerned about more then one thing.

Yes, but there hasn't been near as much clamoring for a substantial reduction in the size, involvement, and cost of government as there has been for immigration reform and Trump's wall.

We are currently impacted way more by a large, costly government than we are by immigrants.

Last edited:
They are both issues. The cost of tracking down and deporting all the illegals would be insane. The democrats need to support closing up loopholes and securing the borer. I'm not saying build a wall, but come up with something better than we are doing now.

Our government is super wasteful and ineffective. We have way to many redundant laws, hell does anyone know all our laws?

It's insane, focus on enforcing current laws, get rid of illegals who don't want to follow the laws, and give a pathway for citizenship to those who wish to stay. Nothing will change the way we a currently running this country. Maybe we need some sherdoggers in office.

If people want less government, it's going to have far more consolidated power, naturally. There are inescapable aspects to governing a nation this size, and government will happen no matter how much it hurts feelings. There is a lot of confusion on this point, and it manifests itself in the right's inability to decide what size of government they want and what the scope of its power and responsibility should be. This is a major contributor to seemingly good honest conservative people creaming themselves over garbage authoritarians. IMO.

It's so much easier to just marginalize people based on their race, sex, economic status, country of origin, etc. You never have to solve any problems, because the problems themselves are the necessary leverage to funnel working class money to rich people.

If people want less government, it's going to have far more consolidated power, naturally. There are inescapable aspects to governing a nation this size, and government will happen no matter how much it hurts feelings. There is a lot of confusion on this point, and it manifests itself in the right's inability to decide what size of government they want and what the scope of its power and responsibility should be. This is a major contributor to seemingly good honest conservative people creaming themselves over garbage authoritarians. IMO.

It's so much easier to just marginalize people based on their race, sex, economic status, country of origin, etc. You never have to solve any problems, because the problems themselves are the necessary leverage to funnel working class money to rich people.

I'm pretty sure that you and I would strongly disagree on the size and involvement of government. That being said, I agree with much of your post. Republicans haven't decided how large of a government the really want or what the role of government would be. Many of the same Republicans that say they want small government have supported the war on drugs, support massive military spending and military intervention that dwarfs the military spending of all other countries, and now they want a big government wall project and the employment of a large number of government agents to further monitor and enforce immigration.

More often than not the Republican answer to addressing a major problem is to expand the size and scope of government, increase the debt, and waste tax payer money. Their way of addressing problems is similar to liberals wanting a government program for every perceived injustice. I don't want larger prisons. I don't want more military bases overseas. I don't want a wall. I want a smaller government, to pay less taxes, and for a business environment that creates more job opportunities for everyone. Why isn't there a stronger push for these things, at least on the right? It's because many of the people on the right don't really want a smaller government. They let their politicians make them afraid, and with that they became convinced that expanding the government was the only thing that would make them safe.

Maybe we can reduce govt by not having to pay for people from shit hole countries.

Back