Why are people getting injured/ missing fights so much more now than before??

truthisfreedom

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It's to the point now where I don't really get excited for a good fight card, because I know that by fight night,1 or 2 of the fights are gonna be pulled for one reason or another.

This shit never used to happen back in the day.

Why are people getting injured so much now, compared to before....

Last edited:
They don’t make fighters like they used to. These guys are athletes trying to make a living while minimizing the risk of damage to themselves and their careers. There not exactly like the old school boys who were fighting for pennies and respect lol.

This has been going on since around 2011. It is known.

It's to the point now where I don't really get excited for a good fight card, because I know that by fight night,1 or 2 of the fights are gonna be pulled for one reason or another.

Why are people getting injured so much now??
Medical benefits. Fighters never used to have then more guys fought not 100 percent. Now they can pull out with injury

It's because of USADA. No more super fast recovery via PEDs.

They don’t make fighters like they used to. These guys are athletes trying to make a living while minimizing the risk of damage to themselves and their careers. There not exactly like the old school boys who were fighting for pennies and respect lol.
I herd there was a Chinese UFC where guys didn’t even fight for money, they fought for PRIDE

It's because of USADA. No more super fast recovery via PEDs.
USADA!!

giphy.gif

Because they cant take supplements that help them recover and get through camp.

Because back in the day fighters were tough. Now we live in a generation of pussies.

5d6.jpg

main 3 reasons i can think of is.

1. Drug testing, Ped's help you recover better so you can train more and gain not only more size and strength but time in the gym learning new skills, and a very strong psychological feeling of invincibility.

2. Money... Guys see what can be accomplished and are pushing themselves beyond the breaking point. the entire MMA scene is so competitive globally compared to 25 years ago. and you see that in what there making.

3. Poor training, Gyms are everywhere so many are training archaic on a shoe string budget. poor equipment, training techniques from guys who dont know any better or think they know best when there wrong.

There are also a lot more fighters and a lot more cards nowdays which makes the number of injuries seem larger.

Fighters are going to get hurt. They are fighters, it's kind of a given.

Now, whether it's from over-training or stupid training methods is a whole other debate.

Might have a little something to do with....... usada

Why are people getting injured so much now, compared to before....
USADA, banning of IV use to rehydrate, UFC medical benefits and a bit more money. Its not worth it to kill yourself to make weight and fight a lot less then 100% anymore.

If the UFC would have USADA implement a multiple weigh in system we would see fighters simply fight at a weight class higher. Everyone cuts so for the most part they all weigh within a small range of their opponent in cage. If all fighters were limited to weighing X% over the limit for the 6-8 weeks prior to their fight then all fighters move up 1 class. Simple concept. Weigh in 3 times at a specific Dr's office during camp. Also be randomly weighed at any time by USADA up to 3 times during camp. Penalize 10% of your purse each time you miss. 6 weigh ins = 60% of your pay gone if you are planning on pushing your weight to the limits like they do now. Take away the incentive to dramatically cut.

1) More money. They can miss a fight and not become homeless or starve.

2) Health insurance.

Last edited:
More money on the line nowadays and the sport as a whole is more legit so they don't want to risk it.

As compared to the golden days when Tito fought with a cracked skull.

This is what happens when fighters aren't allowed to take anything to help them recover.

Can't roid your way thru injuries anymore

Back