Why are people angry at white privilege being real?

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by Rod1, Feb 26, 2018.

1. kpt018

kpt018 Gold Belt

Why don't you just read those studies and the other ones just like it? They provide the testing methodology. And no, I was not a researcher or a participant if that's what you're asking.

HomerThompson likes this.
  2. kpt018

kpt018 Gold Belt

I take your point that there are other factors to consider in which discrimination is appropriate, like the types of experience you're looking for. I am simply saying the studies I posted have been replicated over and over and there are studies that control for experience and yield the same results.

But you also highlight a few of the reasons why this is hard to test.

HomerThompson and S-dot like this.
  3. RollsRoyceGracie

RollsRoyceGracie Banned Banned

LOL!

@Rod1 was a Russian bot all along!
    [​IMG]

4. Starman

Starman Purple Belt

No, your inference is not evidence enough.

That's how I felt when I read your evidence too.

Maybe when you have something more than inference.

How old are you?

5. Starman

Starman Purple Belt

Yes, it does.

A few things to point out.

1.) You are making an appeal to authority, which is a common logical fallacy and one of the most common tactics used by people who have actually done no research on their own. Most of them have not even read beyond the headline of the article they link to. More on that later.

2.) You are comparing hard science to soft science, which is not comparable in any way. Hard science is based on causation. Questioning a medical expert or a chemist on how certain chemicals interact with each other is in no way similar to disagreeing with a philosopher or his opinions regarding human behavior, or with a social "scientist" who has an opinion on the correlations found in data readily available for anyone to look at. And you should be ashamed for even attempting to make such a comparison.

3.) Since you have provided no links or no research whatsoever, you have no room nor right to claim anyone is an expert on anything, since you haven't actually made an argument or substantiated it at all, whatsoever.

For the last person who did actually give me a link, well, let's take a look at that:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...-colleges-perspec-0811-md-20170811-story.html

It was posted as evidence that "affirmative action was created to pit minorities against each other." Now even a cursory reading will reveal that (a) this article argued the opposite of the original poster's claim, and (2) the person who authored the article is indeed *not* an expert. The author is a journalist. That's his educational and professional background -- journalism.

Are you telling me that neither I nor anyone else has any right to question the judgement, qualifications, or intellectual rigor of this author? That his assertions must be taken at face value?

You are coming out on the wrong end of this argument, and if you didn't know it already it should be dawning on you now. Please either make an argument and back it up or stop posting. Windmilling at people attacking sources you never provided to disprove an argument you never made is absurd.

EL CORINTHIAN likes this.
  6. Tropodan

Tropodan Red Belt Platinum Member

In short TS, there are millions of white people living in poverty and dealing with abusive family situations just like much of the black community. So labelling their incredibably disadvantaged lives as "privileged" is misleading and offensive.

uppercutbus, milkmandanl and Starman like this.
  7. Starman

Starman Purple Belt

Not for leftists. Leftism by its very nature crushes dissent. Freedom of thought is anathema to leftism. Do not be angry at him, he is simply doing what is in his nature.

uppercutbus likes this.
  8. Jack V Savage

Jack V Savage Secretary of Keepin' It Real/Nicest Guy on Sherdog

This itself is a fallacy. A logical fallacy only applies (duh) to logical arguments. So if someone says, "experts say X; therefore, logically, X must be true," that is a fallacy. If someone says, "experts say X; therefore X is probably true," that's not only not a fallacy, it's not even a controversial statement. Further discussion can obviously proceed (is X actually expert consensus? Is X one of those unusual claims that experts generally believe that is false?), but no fallacy has been made.

This is so silly and so obviously at odds with reality that one wonders if the writer of it has ever left his house.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    Sohei, Turtle Up and kpt018 like this.
  9. Rod1

Rod1 Titanium Belt

Nobody is saying that having privilege means that you have an easy life.

Everytime i get a bad case of indigestion i remember the time i was privileged enough to enjoy good health.

10. grihenrumet

grihenrumet Blue Belt

hnkjnh

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  11. Tropodan

O fuck off with that intellectually dishonest bullshit. You must be sore, twisting yourself into a pretzel like that.

uppercutbus and milkmandanl like this.
  12. Rod1

Rod1 Titanium Belt

Nope, im just not a self-absorbed first world pampered asshole that is unable to see how lucky he is to be in his position.

White privilege is a real thing, whether you believe it happens or not, a poor white male is treated different than a poor black female.

13. RubberGuard5

RubberGuard5 Brown Belt

Thought experiment - let's imagine two virtually identical males, except for the color of their skin. One is white and one is black. They are both migrating to the USA. How would their lives be different?

14. Rod1

Rod1 Titanium Belt

Do you honestly think that this Indian grandparent would had been slammed had he been white?

15. RubberGuard5

RubberGuard5 Brown Belt

I have no idea. You are implying that a hypotetical black migrant is going to be treated worse by the police. What else?

16. USA!USA!

USA!USA! Black Belt

Yes, because that cop is an asshole.

milkmandanl likes this.
  17. Rod1

Rod1 Titanium Belt

The neighbours called about a suspicious black man walking on the street, without he neighbours assuming the indian man is black and thus calling the police he wouldnt had been slammed.

18. milkmandanl

milkmandanl Blue Belt

Between O-Town and the Worlds Most Famous Beach
    How does an excellent example of police brutality prove white privilege or even racism? There are hundred of examples of similar and worse things happening to people of all races at the hands of the police...curious s to how you made that leap

19. USA!USA!

USA!USA! Black Belt

Maybe anyone walking there being suspicious would have been called? You don't really know - it doesn't mean they called because they thought it was a "black man" - maybe that is just how they helped describe the person to the police. Doesn't mean his skin color is why they called.

And I stand by my statement with the cop - if it was a white guy, that prick probably would have still done the same thing.

milkmandanl likes this.
  20. Tropodan

You know zero about anyone you accuse of this I'm sure.