Opinion Why are people angry at white privilege being real?

Have you seen the resumes used in that study? Do you know which companies the resumes were sent to? Do you know what percentage of the people who reviewed the resumes were not white? For me there are too many unknowns for that study to empirically equate said study to racism.

Is it just me that know quite a few African Americans that have “white sounding names”?

Yes, some people are racist sexist and ageist when it comes to hiring. Again, too many unknowns in that study (based on memory) to ascertain that the results equate to racism instead of name bias.
Why don't you just read those studies and the other ones just like it? They provide the testing methodology. And no, I was not a researcher or a participant if that's what you're asking.

It could be, or what I mean by human error is that whoever reviewed the resumes missed something on the black sounding resume. It’s almost impossible to say that the reason it wasn’t accepted was the name. There’d have to be a study with moles inside companies’ HR departments to be real proof of racial bias.

If the resumes are completely identical, literally word for word except the name and sent to the same employer then most likely it would be racial bias that got one applicant a call back and one not. I don’t know if that is exactly what happened I may be misinterpreting it or I missed something but they seemed to class resumes by quality and then compared based on race/neighbourhood of the applicant. I did notice that there was no difference between races if both applicants had addresses in high end neighbourhoods though.

I’ll just give you an example of how this can be multi-variate vs simple racial bias. My office is significately more diverse than the general population, however it would be conceivable that this study could send us resumes they seem to be of equal quality and one gets a callback and the other doesn’t. We work in real estate valuation and so from the outside people think experience as a realtor would be an asset. In reality if we see your a realtor and currently hold a real estate licence we automatically reject your resume. There are also very specific programs at specific colleges and universities we highly value and others that sound similar but we couldn’t care less about. So someone trying to test us could think they’re sending us a superior quality resume to another when in actuality, by our criteria, the superior one gets auto-screened out.
I take your point that there are other factors to consider in which discrimination is appropriate, like the types of experience you're looking for. I am simply saying the studies I posted have been replicated over and over and there are studies that control for experience and yield the same results.

But you also highlight a few of the reasons why this is hard to test.

This is definitely a result of Russian propaganda.
LOL!

@Rod1 was a Russian bot all along!
tucker-carlson-demolishes-liberal-left-russian-bot-believer-video.jpg

Actually, it doesn't work both ways.

Yes, it does.

In one scenario, someone points to the product of a professional and says "This is what the professionals believe." They don't have to have credibility in the subject because they are not questioning the quality of the professional's work, they are simply referencing it. In the other scenario, someone points to the product of a professional and says "The professional's work is flawed."

It's the difference between saying "The doctor says John has cancer" and saying "The doctor's conclusion that John has cancer is wrong even though I haven't examined John and I don't have any medical training."

A few things to point out.

1.) You are making an appeal to authority, which is a common logical fallacy and one of the most common tactics used by people who have actually done no research on their own. Most of them have not even read beyond the headline of the article they link to. More on that later.

2.) You are comparing hard science to soft science, which is not comparable in any way. Hard science is based on causation. Questioning a medical expert or a chemist on how certain chemicals interact with each other is in no way similar to disagreeing with a philosopher or his opinions regarding human behavior, or with a social "scientist" who has an opinion on the correlations found in data readily available for anyone to look at. And you should be ashamed for even attempting to make such a comparison.

3.) Since you have provided no links or no research whatsoever, you have no room nor right to claim anyone is an expert on anything, since you haven't actually made an argument or substantiated it at all, whatsoever.

For the last person who did actually give me a link, well, let's take a look at that:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...-colleges-perspec-0811-md-20170811-story.html

It was posted as evidence that "affirmative action was created to pit minorities against each other." Now even a cursory reading will reveal that (a) this article argued the opposite of the original poster's claim, and (2) the person who authored the article is indeed *not* an expert. The author is a journalist. That's his educational and professional background -- journalism.

Are you telling me that neither I nor anyone else has any right to question the judgement, qualifications, or intellectual rigor of this author? That his assertions must be taken at face value?

You are coming out on the wrong end of this argument, and if you didn't know it already it should be dawning on you now. Please either make an argument and back it up or stop posting. Windmilling at people attacking sources you never provided to disprove an argument you never made is absurd.

In short TS, there are millions of white people living in poverty and dealing with abusive family situations just like much of the black community. So labelling their incredibably disadvantaged lives as "privileged" is misleading and offensive.

Why do you believe he can't question the validity of the study if he isn't one of those 3 things?

Social scientists question each others work all the time. That's how the system is supposed to work.

Not for leftists. Leftism by its very nature crushes dissent. Freedom of thought is anathema to leftism. Do not be angry at him, he is simply doing what is in his nature.

A few things to point out.

1.) You are making an appeal to authority, which is a common logical fallacy and one of the most common tactics used by people who have actually done no research on their own.

This itself is a fallacy. A logical fallacy only applies (duh) to logical arguments. So if someone says, "experts say X; therefore, logically, X must be true," that is a fallacy. If someone says, "experts say X; therefore X is probably true," that's not only not a fallacy, it's not even a controversial statement. Further discussion can obviously proceed (is X actually expert consensus? Is X one of those unusual claims that experts generally believe that is false?), but no fallacy has been made.

Not for leftists. Leftism by its very nature crushes dissent. Freedom of thought is anathema to leftism. Do not be angry at him, he is simply doing what is in his nature.

This is so silly and so obviously at odds with reality that one wonders if the writer of it has ever left his house.

Last edited:
In short TS, there are millions of white people living in poverty and dealing with abusive family situations just like much of the black community. So labelling their incredibably disadvantaged lives as "privileged" is misleading and offensive.

Nobody is saying that having privilege means that you have an easy life.

Everytime i get a bad case of indigestion i remember the time i was privileged enough to enjoy good health.

Nobody is saying that having privilege means that you have an easy life.

Everytime i get a bad case of indigestion i remember the time i was privileged enough to enjoy good health.

O fuck off with that intellectually dishonest bullshit. You must be sore, twisting yourself into a pretzel like that.

O fuck off with that intellectually dishonest bullshit. You must be sore, twisting yourself into a pretzel like that.

Nope, im just not a self-absorbed first world pampered asshole that is unable to see how lucky he is to be in his position.

White privilege is a real thing, whether you believe it happens or not, a poor white male is treated different than a poor black female.

Nope, im just not a self-absorbed first world pampered asshole that is unable to see how lucky he is to be in his position.

White privilege is a real thing, whether you believe it happens or not, a poor white male is treated different than a poor black female.

Thought experiment - let's imagine two virtually identical males, except for the color of their skin. One is white and one is black. They are both migrating to the USA. How would their lives be different?

Thought experiment - let's imagine two virtually identical males, except for the color of their skin. One is white and one is black. They are both migrating to the USA. How would their lives be different?

Do you honestly think that this Indian grandparent would had been slammed had he been white?

Do you honestly think that this Indian grandparent would had been slammed had he been white?

I have no idea. You are implying that a hypotetical black migrant is going to be treated worse by the police. What else?

I have no idea. You are implying that a hypotetical black migrant is going to be treated worse by the police. What else?

Yes, because that cop is an asshole.

The neighbours called about a suspicious black man walking on the street, without he neighbours assuming the indian man is black and thus calling the police he wouldnt had been slammed.

The neighbours called about a suspicious black man walking on the street, without he neighbours assuming the indian man is black and thus calling the police he wouldnt had been slammed.

How does an excellent example of police brutality prove white privilege or even racism? There are hundred of examples of similar and worse things happening to people of all races at the hands of the police...curious s to how you made that leap

Maybe anyone walking there being suspicious would have been called? You don't really know - it doesn't mean they called because they thought it was a "black man" - maybe that is just how they helped describe the person to the police. Doesn't mean his skin color is why they called.

And I stand by my statement with the cop - if it was a white guy, that prick probably would have still done the same thing.

You know zero about anyone you accuse of this I'm sure.

Back