Why are most fans forcing themselves to believe Usman is a boring fighter overall?

It is kind of weird that between all of the boring fighters in UFC, the ones who are being talked about the most are the ones who fought and beat Maia (Woodley, Colby, Usman)

It’s becuas Maia represents BJJ and it offends them on a deep subconscious level to see him lose. It invalidates their investment of time and energy and makes them feel effeminate.

For me, it has less to do with him being boring and more to do with him having ridiculous -750 odds and ruining bets/parlays.

Usman about to be added to "The Rassler's" sig.

I have only seen his last few fights and I found them all boring. Maybe he has something different in his game but I haven't seen it.

I think the first question to ask is what makes a fight exciting? There only appears to be a couple of answers to this. 1. threat of finish (strikes causing damage and creating a chance of knockout or serious submission attempts)
1. A. Tied in with 1 would be a very fast space where one or both fighters are intending to finish their opponent and attack in a relentless way.
2. Highly creative tactics (unique, creative and at times flashy strikes or submission attempts).

Another question could be what makes a fighter boring. A good answer could be no threat of finish and the appearance of lack of intention by one or either fighter to finish their opponent.

One of the problems in mma is that wrestling is a solid base and heavily utilized. Wrestling, while having effective tactics is the only combat style that doesn't have finishes. Other than catch wrestling, many wrestling styles do not have submissions or strikes. The purpose is not to physically harm your opponent via strikes or breaking their limbs. Other than for a small group of wrestling enthusiasts the only parts of wrestling that are entertaining to the majority of fans are the suplexes and throws. But even in mma many of the take downs are not slams or designed to harm their opponent. They are to gain a dominant position through a minimal expenditure of energy. This makes most of wrestling boring to watch.

Honestly wrestling is just objectively boring to watch. That is the reason why there isn't a professional wrestling league where people are paid to wrestle in front of large audiences. The only thing like that is the theatrical wrestling like WWE which relies on acrobatics and dramatic characterization.

So the take away is that an exciting fighter threatens the finish, has a serious intention to stop their opponent, tries to fight at a good pace and may try some creative moves. A boring fighter does the opposite of that.

Usman doesn't tend to fight in a very exciting fashion and seems to be better described by the description I provided for a boring fighter.

And in that one finished, the guy just flopped like the WWE.

Unlike Colby Covington, Usman is a joke.

I've watched all his ufc & tuf fights, and sorry but with a couple of exceptions they've all been boring as hell. He came out hard against Moraes which was nice, and I *think* it was the Warley Alves fight where he let his striking go and actually looked really sharp.

He’s had 7 UFC fights. 1 finish. 6 decisions. Snoozeman.

Well because he is a pretty boring fighter....

You yourself has said he had 3 boring fights, and he's only had 7 UFC fights

3/7 fights being snoozers is pretty bad....

>forcing themselves to believe they're bored
Yeah, literally no one is doing this.
It's not like they've been riveting, action packed, high risk fights and we're all just deluding ourselves into thinking it's none of those things cause we be raycis n sheiit or something. The fact is, his fights have been none of those things. Boring is boring, there's no mental deception involved, I can tell when something doesn't grip me.

I've only seen three of his fights, the first which was a quick KO and the other two which were incredibly boring.

I haven't dismissed him as a complete bore yet, but I feel he had plenty of chances to do more on the feet against Maia than he did last night and he didn't go for it. Now that he's edging closer and closer to a title shot, he's probably only gonna play it more safely, not less.

Usman is as exciting as GSP, which means he isn't. But sherdoggers act like GSPs fights were so exciting as he so well known as a finisher

I am trying to shy away from the TST narrative. Boring is a good change.

Usman is as exciting as GSP, which means he isn't. But sherdoggers act like GSPs fights were so exciting as he so well known as a finisher
Nice strawman. Maybe GSP was boring, maybe he wasn't, but Usman is definitely boring.

Nice strawman. Maybe GSP was boring, maybe he wasn't, but Usman is definitely boring.

Its not a strawman argument, rookie. GSP was widely criticized in the Heavies for being boring and not finishing. Then again I realize you probably started watching mma within the last 2-3 years, otherwise you would know this.

Dude is a grinder. Plus he wins fights that might not be exciting... But why not. Don't leave yourself open to catch something to the jaw. Thinking after last night.. being in the top-tier. He has some opponents coming up that will force him to put in 110%...

Dude is a grinder. Plus he wins fights that might not be exciting... But why not. Don't leave yourself open to catch something to the jaw. Thinking after last night.. being in the top-tier. He has some opponents coming up that will force him to put in 110%...

Agreed. While I don't find him to be exciting, his style is effective and with his physicality, it will carry him a long way

Those "snoozers" are not even that bad, though. When I say snoozer, I mean fights that weren't particularly exciting. Usman's snoozers are not that bad, not Thompson vs. Woodley level for example
<WellThere> if you have say Xyz boring fights are less boring than others it DOESN'T = EXCITEMENT.

I get you're a big Usman fan but your living in a fantasy when you think everyone else should love 30% performances.

Its not a strawman argument, rookie. GSP was widely criticized in the Heavies for being boring and not finishing. Then again I realize you probably started watching mma within the last 2-3 years, otherwise you would know this.
Usman's performances have nothing to do with GSP. Also, nice appeal to authority. Surely only a real veteran of the fight-watching game like yourself can tell if something is boring or not.

Usman's performances have nothing to do with GSP. Also, nice appeal to authority. Surely only a real veteran of the fight-watching game like yourself can tell if something is boring or not.

Sure it does, Rookie. When people are criticizing Usman for being boring when GSP and him have similar styles as wrestle boxers.

And yes it's called having an opinion. Watch the sport and learn something

Sure it does, Rookie. When people are criticizing Usman for being boring when GSP and him have similar styles as wrestle boxers.

And yes it's called having an opinion. Watch the sport and learn something
I see you're a rookie of the socratic method, as even when it's been pointed out to you, you still can't make an argument without relying on logical fallacies. Read a book and learn something.

I see you're a rookie of the socratic method, as even when it's been pointed out to you, you still can't make an argument without relying on logical fallacies. Read a book and learn something.

Lol its not a book on philosophy. Stick with philopshy 101 because you're awful at mma

Back