Why are Heavy bag gloves so light? (RIVAL D3O INTELLI-SHOCK BAG GLOVES)

paul01

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I just bought Large (supposedly 12oz) RIVAL D3O INTELLI-SHOCK BAG GLOVES off amazon and I don't think I can return them because I used them and the tag ripped. I use 16 oz cletos reyes gloves (actually weigh closer to 18oz) for sparring and I used to use them on the heavy bag but they don't offer good support when I wanna throw full power. I have had minor wrist issues for a month or two. I wanted heavy bag gloves for more support. It seems like all heavy bag gloves are really light (10oz or 12 oz). I'm just posting to get some reassurance. Is using 12oz bag gloves going to hurt my training? Are these gloves any good? The wrists seem thin and don't hold up well when I throw hooks. Why are heavy bag gloves so light? Should I stop throwing long hooks that don't land clean on the knuckles? Do you think amazon would let me return these? I'm hoping some high level ammy boxers or pros will answer this. My amateur record is 14-2 FYI so i'm not a beginner, I'm just worried I wasted my money and I can't seem to find a glove that satisfies all my needs.

I mostly like Rival's sparring gloves (RS1) except for the thumb, and their pro fight gloves are pretty great, except for the terrible leather on the palm side of the gloves.

Their bag gloves are pretty gimmicky for the most part. I had these d30 and gave them to a kid who needed a pair of gloves, mostly because they didn't correctly. What oz gloves do you compete in? For the most part, I would say that bag/mitt gloves should not be less than what you fight in, though I personally use 6-8 oz bag mitts for bag work, but I don't compete anymore. Also depends on what sort of bag work you're trying to do. If you're working on endurance (by endurance, I mean amateur endurance, doing 3 two minute sprints where you try to land as many punches/more punches than your opponent), technique, or power. I use the bag mitts which have no wrist support for technique and power. I switch out to my 18 oz gloves when I'm working on endurance. I don't think you screwed yourself with those gloves. They're pretty nice, and the wrist support is flimsy and gimmicky, but it might actually help you with your technique as you'll probably torque your wrist if you throw without accuracy.

It all depends on what you're working. I don't have terrible hand problems, but I've had wrist problems, so I actually went with really thin bag mitts to improve my technique and wrist strength. Seems counter intuitive, but it's been working for me.

I don't think Amazon will accept the return if the gloves have been used/soiled. I think for things such as boxing equipment, they will only accept if there are minor cosmetic blemishes. They are unfortunately expensive, but I think they're decent gloves. If you want to throw full power, I would suggest making sure that technique and accuracy come first. Make sure you're not leaning into the bag, and make sure you're rotating your hips to generate power.

I don't think you'll ever find one glove that satisfied all of your needs. Winnings are a pretty awesome glove, but they don't work for me on the bag as the padding deadens my blows, not to mention the fact that the padding breaks down relatively quickly especially in comparison to latex heavy mexican gloves like your cleto reyes, which are pretty damn durable and have great leather, but the shape is not the best. Nice record by the way!

As long as you wrap your wrist properly, you should not have any problem with the RB10 gloves.

I remember Russ Amber saying in a YouTube video that he did not understand the fuss about the actual weight of a glove. For him, it's all about the amount of padding. It makes sens because when you weight the Rival RS1 or RS2V, they are about 2 oz lighter. But the shock absorption on these glove is amazing.

Back to the RB10, yes everything about them is gimmicky, but they are still good bag gloves.

FYI, Rival recently updated that RB10 bag glove with the WristLock2 velcro strap (also featured on their RB11 Evolution bag glove... supposed to provide better wrist support).

https://rivalboxing.ca/collections/bag-gloves/products/rival-rb10-intelli-shock-bag-gloves

I'm guessing you have the previous model with the ErgoStrap velcro?

I used to have the old model RB10, but I sold them due to hearing others having bad experience with the durability of the knuckle padding. Apparently, once the D30 layer wears out, you're just left with solid, rock like material making direct contact with your knuckles.

Now I have the RB11 Evolution bag gloves; and I prefer them mostly due to the WristLock2 velcro.

As for the weight and extra protection, you might wanna add the Winning NG2 knuckle guards or Rival Gelwrap for that extra 1 or 2oz. Plus, Rival's XL size should be 14oz.

Yeah these gloves are shitty I'm going to try to return them, thanks guys

lol.

I told Russ Anber to his face that his gloves were okay. I should have told him they were shitty.

Rival RS1 and RS2V are really good. Don't like the feel of the RB11 and RS11V. The wrist lock 2 is pulling my thumb in a weird way.

The RB 2 leather super bag glove is also pretty good. As well as the RB1 imo.

The RB10 d3o is the biggest gimmick in regards to gloves.

Rival RS1 and RS2V are really good. Don't like the feel of the RB11 and RS11V. The wrist lock 2 is pulling my thumb in a weird way.

The RB 2 leather super bag glove is also pretty good. As well as the RB1 imo.

The RB10 d3o is the biggest gimmick in regards to gloves.

I find that the thumb compartment of the RB1 (both 10oz and 12oz) is quite short. I don't even have long thumbs and the shortness of the compartment is pretty uncomfortable.

The RB2 I like better, and it's cheaper. Good thumb compartment, and they pop loud on the bag.

The RB10 (old model) had bad wrist support, got rid of them.

The RB11 is my favorite at the moment. Great sounds on the bag, comfortable, dense padding and no thumb issues.

Apparently, these new bag gloves that Lomachenko is using here; come out in a year from now (Around April 2018):

Looks like a mix between the RB10 and RB50, the two Rival bag gloves that feature D30 padding.

Lomachenko-AY1J3095.jpg

I have the same problem with the short thumb on the RB1.

This gloves on the pics are fugly lol. Like you said, they look like the RB10 and RB50 had a child together lol

I use rival boxing mitts with wrapped hands on the bag and i love it. After every class i do a few rounds on the heavy bag and wrecking ball.

Most pros will do their bag/mitt work with light gloves. If you're still having trouble, I'd supplement the gloves with Winnings knuckle guards. If you're still having pain, its probably your punch placement.

Most pros will do their bag/mitt work with light gloves. If you're still having trouble, I'd supplement the gloves with Winnings knuckle guards. If you're still having pain, its probably your punch placement.
Are you Mikey Garcia?

Back