Why are digital copies more expensive?

cardkid

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone could tell me why a digital copies of games cost more than physical copies? I was looking on xbox store and ps store at resident evil 7 and they were twice the price as a shop 2 miles away. Wtf?

I know, it's ridiculous.

I've bought a few games digitally in the past when it's been convenient but i've went back to getting all physical copies because of this.

I think part of the problem is stock on hand. If the game isn't selling copies well they can drop the price locally, but getting the price changed from the Xbox/PSN market place is a lot slower.

So for a game like Resident Evil 7 that has been out for a quite a bit with sales slowing down after launch is starting to see physical disc price drops to move excess stock. Where there is no urgency to drop the digital copy price.

i rather have hardcopies at home anyway. And some games just take forever to download :/

Retailers are usually selling below RRP. They have to sell below RRP because they're competing with digital downloads and online store prices (eg, amazon), this is also why trade in prices are usually shit, and second hand games have such a high mark up. If the price was the same in store as it was to download or to order online, there would be no point going to the store. Retailers also drop prices significantly, and quite early on, once the launch sales have dried out. PSN/Xbox live don't usually do this.

Its the same price as Gamestop, at least for PS4

$59.99

Sometimes its worth looking on Amazon on the digital versions on there, theres times they are a lot cheaper than the PS Store

playstation store and gamestop are the only ones here selling games for 69 €.

59 € everywhere else.

even if price was the same I still wouldnt buy digitial, it should be atleast 10-15€ cheaper than physical

No competition and no shelf space to eliminate

Back