Why are competitions classes alway in the middle of the day?

kintana

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Being doing BJJ 8 years now on 3 continents and X number of countries. And every gym I go to competition classes are always around 11am to 2pm.

Is there a reason for this?

Some gyms I have been to the top competitors even work in the middle of the day and some other gyms I have been to do not even have full time jiu jitsu guys. Yet almost always at 1pm I notice the classes are tougher and more focused training rather than warm up, drill, specific and spar of a regular evening class

So again why always in the middle of the day?

I think a lot of instructors work jobs with flexible schedules. They might have some job where they work early, get off early and then they go teach.

Good question though. I would say 75% of the working adult US population is at work 11-2, minus lunch break.

This is to ensure that the class is (largely) limited to full-time competitors, and allows them to have the most space to train.

The other thing is that the evening is the most the valuable real-estate on the gym's schedule. They don't want to have a class there that a sizable portion of the student body will avoid.

Being doing BJJ 8 years now on 3 continents and X number of countries. And every gym I go to competition classes are always around 11am to 2pm.

Some gyms I have been to the top competitors even work in the middle of the day and some other gyms I have been to do not even have full time jiu jitsu guys. Yet almost always at 1pm I notice the classes are tougher and more focused training rather than warm up, drill, specific and spar of a regular evening class

Because competitors don't have a day time job? So they can train instead?

Maybe because they are serious competitors who are trying to roll hard and drill very specific techniques with each other without the distractions of the regular guys. Guys who, lets face it, want to bullshit and clown around in the evenings. There is nothing wrong with wanting to talk to your friends during class but the competitors want to improve at all costs.

Because competitors don't have a day time job? So they can train instead?

Actually in many cases these are the reasons. At a previous gym I trained at many of the hardcore competitors were either being supported by their parents, Go Fund Me recipients, had subsistence level part time jobs, or all of the above. They pretty much hung out at the gym all day, so I guess the perfect time to meet was when the rest of the world was working.

Full time competitors be full time broke so it doesn’t matter

Can it be that most of the serious competitors will not have regular 9-5 jobs, and instead work some kind of night shift? I am curious too. What time does all the other major pro team sports hold practices?

This is to ensure that the class is (largely) limited to full-time competitors, and allows them to have the most space to train.

The other thing is that the evening is the most the valuable real-estate on the gym's schedule. They don't want to have a class there that a sizable portion of the student body will avoid.

That is a really good explanation.

and I guess 3-6 or 7 has to be reserved for the children. That is the best time for them.

I know it's kind of been said already but the daytime is when most of them will be free. At least around where I'm at a lot of people own schools and night time is the prime time for classes.

I'm sure it depends on the location but I don't think they're doing it to weed out non-serious competitors. In fact I've seen a number of competition classes at night however you're not going to get a head instructor from another gym as a regular when they have classes to teach as well. Also the instructor of that particular gym is typically more an a coaching/sign people up mode. It allows them to train more focused during those off hours

It doesn't have much to do with the competitors' schedules; competition classes are usually squeezed in around everyone else's schedules.

Highest-demand classes get the best slots on the schedule. Competition classes get squeezed into whatever time slots are left.

Competition classes get squeezed into whatever time slots are left.

Also a lot of people don't like training long hours in a row (I like it) so they want a break between the competition class and the regular class.

Back