Whose LHW run was scarier: Pre-knee surgery Shogun's or Rumble Johnson's?

AJ.

Shogun was sheltered in pride. He fought Alistair and Rampage before they really reached their potential, and never fought Wanderlei in his prime. Anthony Johnson, on the other hand, was just pure beast mode.

Ridiculous comment...The Pride 2005 Grand Prix was the most stacked tournament in Pride history, and Shogun had the hardest run on the way to the championship.

Rampage was already a top LHW at the time, he had fought for a Pride Championship twice and had already finished top LHW fighters in Ricardo Arona and Chuck Liddell before the Shogun fight.

Lil Nog was in his prime when he fought Shogun, and Alistair Overeem was an extremely dangerous opponent back in Pride. Ricardo Arona was a fucking beast back then and he was also the first man to beat Wanderlei at 205 in Pride.

Shogun beat all these guys after only being a pro fighter for THREE YEARS! Only Jon Jones can hold a candle to that accomplishment!

And Shogun didn't fight Wanderlei because they were best friends and training partners, neither guy wanted to fight each other.

Last edited:
I don't agree on Rumble folding, DC broke him and he would have broken Shogun. It's not like Rumble has "folded" before DC.

I don't think you would say Shogun folded against Jones...

Rumble folds.

Like ie against Vitor.

Shoguns peak ended with the first Coleman fight where he broke his arm. He didn't look the same when he came back against da snake

Rumble was knocking fools dead while Shogun was overwhelming guys.

Rumble was definitely far scarier.

Shogun's resume is better, but Rumble was destroying people. He made Gus look like he didn't belong in the octagon with him and seemed to beat him within an inch of his life. So I guess Rumble's was "scarier."

Shoguns peak ended with the first Coleman fight where he broke his arm. He didn't look the same when he came back against da snake
But when he rematched Coleman he absolutely thrashed him
He KOd him but it was sloppy and shogun gassed hard. At his peak he was known for his cardio.

Before his knee surgery after the first Forrest fight, Shogun went 6-3 against elite opponents
Wins:
- Rampage Jackson
- Lil Nog
- Alistair Overeem X2
- Ricardo Arona
- Kevin Randleman
Losses:
- Babalu Sobral
- Forrest Griffin
- Mark Coleman (Heavyweight bout)

After he moved up to LHW, Rumble went 5-2 against elite opponents
Wins:

- Phil Davis
- Alexander Gustafsson
- Ryan Bader
- Glover Teixeira
- Andrei Arlovski (Heavyweight bout)
Losses:
- Daniel Cormier X2

I didn't include Manuwa or Lil Nog on Rumble's resume because I don't think Lil Nog was 'elite' by the time he fought Rumble.

Who looked more impressive against the quality of competition they were up against, and who would've won if they fought in their primes?

The first Forrest fight was after his 1st knee surgery and he broke his arm awkwardly against Coleman. I'm not impressed with wins like Davis and Bader in comparison to beating Arona. Its a damn shame that he never fought in the UFC. And the Sobral loss happened before he was even in pride and came into his own..

That being said. Shogun beat the better grappler while Rumble beat better strikers. I also think though that Shogun beat the better power punchers. So meh its a toss up.

Rumble folds.

Like ie against Vitor.
Vitor was out of his league back then and Rumble was a mess with his cutting. These two versions of Rumble were night and day.

Last edited:
Back