Whose LHW run was scarier: Pre-knee surgery Shogun's or Rumble Johnson's?

I am not sure bringing up WW fights for Rumble is relevant here. EDIT: Sorry MW

Wrestling DC was a poor choice but we also saw what happens when he doesn't try and wrestle DC. He sorta had to try something new even if it looked dumb.

I don't consider either fighter to have the tendency to fold. It's kind of absurd to say a fighter who was the heavy dog folded against a vastly superior opponent.

Getting subbed by Griffin is far closer to folding, but still don't consider it there.

When he didnt try to wrestle DC he rocked him. Folding is folding. If you want to say he didnt fold except for the times he folded go ahead. Its like when vitor pulled guard on jacare. They want a way out.

Shogun got outgrappled and then choked he had no say in the matter.

I think the problem is you might not know what it means to fold. It doesnt just mean getting submissioned or out worked, it means you have mentally given up and are now just giving your opponent a means to finish it.

Scarier? Rumble.
More impressive? Shogun.

If I had to pick one to fight, it would have been Shogun.

When he didnt try to wrestle DC he rocked him. Folding is folding. If you want to say he didnt fold except for the times he folded go ahead. Its like when vitor pulled guard on jacare. They want a way out.

Shogun got outgrappled and then choked he had no say in the matter.

I think the problem is you might not know what it means to fold. It doesnt just mean getting submissioned or out worked, it means you have mentally given up and are now just giving your opponent a means to finish it.
He landed his opening punch on DC. I don't remember much else, but I'll rewatch it.

And maybe tapping to strikes is mentally giving up by your standards. But hey like you said, my problem is I don't know the meaning.

He landed his opening punch on DC. I don't remember much else, but I'll rewatch it.

And maybe tapping to strikes is mentally giving up by your standards. But hey like you said, my problem is I don't know the meaning.

Hey he took his beating first.

Loved watching rumbles career as a fighter. Shoguns still at it though, that villante fight was fun..good luck to him against oezdemir..

Not sure....but what I DO know is that Prime Rumble would annihilate Shogun

04-05 was right when I started following the sport and I remember thinking that shogun was going to destroy EVERYONE after that Grand Prix

Rumble was also a monster but I never thought he would beat Jones/DC

I'd say Shogun's was much more impressive, but Rumbles was scarier. He was knocking guys out within 30 seconds of the fight and badly too.

Shogun's was more impressive.

Johnsons was scarier.

Like I would have less of a chance -- maybe 1/100,000 of beating Shogun. But I'm pretty sure that, after the fight, I'd go back to work and be OK the next day.

I might stand a 1/10,000 chance of beating Anthony Johnson like Chael almost beat John Jones. But those other 9,999 times? I'm getting some serious fucking brain damage in a way that Shogun would never give to me. I can't go to work if I'm in a coma.

In terms of scariness/intimidation, Rumble's and it's not even close.

Whose run was greater, in terms of who faced the superior competition and how did they perform against them? That's subjective, and this forum has a huge Pride bias. And anyone who's dismissive of Shogun's run in favour of Rumble's is probably guilty of having a recency bias.

Really it just goes to show how fucking good DC is.

Last edited:
uhh I love shogun but scarier?? rumble... like waaay rumble. by far.

Lol at saying Nog, Arona, Randleman, and Reem are better wins than the guys Rumble beat. Rampage is a good win but the rest aren’t that impressive.

Rumble would decimate Rua

Shogun.

Rumble will never make any list of mine with the way he Crumbles at the first sign of adversity.

Only Sherdog would put Rumble Johnson in the same sentence as a UFC LHW champion AND PrideFc LHW (MW) Grand Prix Champion. Shogun won these accolades across different eras and different organizations, showcasing his skill and grit against a diversity of opponents. Rumbles LHW career is made up of like 4 KO wins (then he as quickly retired off a 2nd beating by DC) that has the guillable short sighted modern fans in a craze.

The weekly rumble hype here is vomit worthy.
PREACH!!

Shogun... Just watch the Pride 2005 GP. But if you want to see someone dead... then Rumble.

Back