Whose LHW run was scarier: Pre-knee surgery Shogun's or Rumble Johnson's?

Matty da Ranga

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Before his knee surgery after the first Forrest fight, Shogun went 6-3 against elite opponents
Wins:
- Rampage Jackson
- Lil Nog
- Alistair Overeem X2
- Ricardo Arona
- Kevin Randleman
Losses:
- Babalu Sobral
- Forrest Griffin
- Mark Coleman (Heavyweight bout)

After he moved up to LHW, Rumble went 5-2 against elite opponents
Wins:

- Phil Davis
- Alexander Gustafsson
- Ryan Bader
- Glover Teixeira
- Andrei Arlovski (Heavyweight bout)
Losses:
- Daniel Cormier X2

I didn't include Manuwa or Lil Nog on Rumble's resume because I don't think Lil Nog was 'elite' by the time he fought Rumble.

Who looked more impressive against the quality of competition they were up against, and who would've won if they fought in their primes?

Before his knee surgery after the first Forrest fight, Shogun went 6-3 against elite opponents
Wins:
- Rampage Jackson
- Lil Nog
- Alistair Overeem X2
- Ricardo Arona
- Kevin Randleman
Losses:
- Babalu Sobral
- Forrest Griffin

Wins:

- Phil Davis
- Alexander Gustafsson
- Ryan Bader
- Glover Teixeira
Losses:
- Daniel Cormier X2

I didn't include Manuwa or Lil Nog on Rumble's resume because I don't think Lil Nog was 'elite' when he fought Rumble.

Who looked more impressive against the quality of competition they were up against, and who would've won if they fought in their primes?

Shogun had a knee injury before the forrest griffin fight.

Depends on the rules

UFC rules: Ruble
Pride Rules: Shogun

Shogun has arguably the best run in MMA with that period of wins.

Shogun easily.

Rumble. You always bet on black.

Last edited:
Well, Shogun ended up in UFC during the second half of his run so what made him scary didn't really apply under UFC rules.

So gonna go with Rumble

Johnson's run was better IMO because of how he was winning his fights.

Wins:
- Rampage Jackson
- Lil Nog
- Alistair Overeem X2
- Ricardo Arona
- Kevin Randleman
Losses:
- Babalu Sobral
- Forrest Griffin

Wins:

- Phil Davis
- Alexander Gustafsson
- Ryan Bader
- Glover Teixeira
Losses:
- Daniel Cormier X2

I didn't include Manuwa or Lil Nog on Rumble's resume because I don't think Lil Nog was 'elite' by the time he fought Rumble.

Shogun is a better fighter. Rumble folds.

But Rumble looked scarier in his run, but Shogun looked more unbeatable in his run, if that makes sense.

Prime Shogun beats everyone at LHW minus maybe Jon Jones. Before his knee injuries/surgeries, etc

Rumbles brute strength is scarier.

Shogun has his savage barbaric type of scary though.

Shogun's run was better, Rumble's was scarier

Shogun fought better fighters and won, Rumble looked like he might actually kill someone

Shogun is a better fighter. Rumble folds.

But Rumble looked scarier in his run, but Shogun looked more unbeatable in his run, if that makes sense.

Prime Shogun beats everyone at LHW minus maybe Jon Jones. Before his knee injuries/surgeries, etc
How can u say that.rumble has way better takedown defense than shogun and is maybe better at striking at lhw. Only thing shogun is better at is maybe his bjj.

All I know is LHW rumble KOs any version of Shogun

Rumble...better wins and nowhere near as ugly of losses.

If you're including Randleman and LHW Reem as elite wins for Shogun, then you absolutely have to include lil Nog and Manuwa for Rumble.

Especially Randleman.

Shogun would absolutely fare better than Wand tho, TS.

AJ.

Shogun was sheltered in pride. He fought Alistair and Rampage before they really reached their potential, and never fought Wanderlei in his prime. Anthony Johnson, on the other hand, was just pure beast mode.

They were both destroyers....LHW in Pride was definitely better than LHW was during Rumble's run in the UFC, so I go with Shogun.

Both guys were monsters though...

Back