Who's the second greatest welterweight? Woodley or Hughes

What kind of sick bastard would necro a 3sumrock thread?

Woodley is the better fighter but Hughes never tried to cherry pick his fights, dude fought anyone... and he has more memorable moments/title defenses, so if Woodley retired today, Hughes would go down as the #2 WW. Depending on how the rest of Woodley's reign goes, that could change.

In terms of actual fighting ability Woodley
He probably has the better and he has the better stand up and has one punch KO power

Also people are biast cause there are people who dont like Woodley and alot of people loves Hughes. But the thing is the fighters of today are better than the fighters of the past due to the evolution of the sport

Hughes. Dude is an icon.

The old guys get nowhere near the respect they deserve today...

<{hughesimpress}>
yes and yes, I don't think anyone else is even in the conversation other than GSP and Matt

Just a shame his recent brush with death and humility hasn't made him treat all life with more respect (still killing animals for trophies)

Woodley would beat up any version of Matt Hughes. So I'll go with Woodley.

Anyone with a couple years of university physics can solve problems that Isaac Newton couldn't even get started on. But for some reason Newton is considered to be (along with Einstein) the greatest physicist either, way ahead of the millions of guys with two years of university physics (who are better physicists than Newton in absolute terms).

The point being, historically you're compared to what you did in your time, not on an absolute term, because things progress, and later generations build on what previous ones did. Woodley (and every other current fighter) have techniques and training that are partly built on what Hughes (and his generation) did.

Hughes is number two. Woodley may well surpass him before he retires (he's very good), but he's still short a number of title defenses.

woodley resume:
2 losses
18 wins
Defended title 3 times
Top wins: wonderboy(controversial),prime lawler,prime paul Daley,Maia(prime?),out of shape gastelum(spilt decision),primeCarlos condit,dong Hyundai kim,hieron.
Hughes resume:
45 wins
9 losses
Defended title 6 times
Top wins : prime bj penn,Gsp 1.0,Sean Sherk
I don't think a draw should count as a title defense. It's actually hard solid proof that you aren't the "champ". How can you be the champ, if some other guy just fought you to a draw?

The answer to the thread is neither. It's Jake Shields. Who coincidentally, happens to have a win over Woodley, in Woodley's prime.

And Lawler is not in his prime anymore, he was coming off wars with Hendricks, Condit and Rory.

woodley resume:
2 losses
18 wins
Defended title 3 times
Top wins: wonderboy(controversial),prime lawler,prime paul Daley,Maia(prime?),out of shape gastelum(spilt decision),primeCarlos condit,dong Hyundai kim,hieron.
Hughes resume:
45 wins
9 losses
Defended title 6 times

Newsflash: Woodley lost to Marquardt, Shelds and MacDonald. That is 3 losses. You also left out his draw.

Right but your personal feelings and how the rules actually work are two different things though.
it's not my feelings, he just factually didn't defend the title at that time

How is this a question?

Hughes had a questionable win vs. Newton, then finished him a year later. At this time he is the first man to stop #1 ranked WW Mach Sakurai(Anderson Silva and Shields couldn't).

Woodley had draw, and then a MD rematch a year later. Followed by a UD. A record low amount of strikes attempted, and arguably the least impressive win over Maia.

Oh, and then Hughes defends the title five? more times, finishing nearly all of his opponents.

Woodley would beat up any version of Matt Hughes. So I'll go with Woodley.
I don't think this is how greatness should be measured.
woodley resume:
2 losses
18 wins
Defended title 3 times
Hughes resume:
45 wins
9 losses
Defended title 6 times

Matt Hughes without a doubt. Woodley does not even belong in that conversation just yet. 6 title defenses vs. 3 titles defenses (including one ending in a draw). In terms of legacy, Hughes was the man to beat, one of the few solid champs that barely anyone could figure out for a very long time. He had some ugly losses in the final miles of his career, like many other great fighters. Does that take anything away from a legacy? I don't believe it does.

Back