Who's the greatest NBA player? | Page 7

Discussion in 'Sports Bar' started by cedented, May 18, 2017.

?

Who's the GOAT NBA Player?

1. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

3.8%
  2. Charles Barkley

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Larry Bird

3.2%
  4. Kobe Bryant

9.5%
  5. Wilt Chamberlain

2.5%
  6. Tim Duncan

1.3%
  7. Kevin Durant

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Kevin Garnett

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Lebron James

12.7%
  10. Magic Johnson

1.3%
  11. Michael Jordan

61.4%
  12. Karl Malone

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Dirk Nowitski

1.3%
  14. Hakeem Olajuwon

1.3%
  15. Shaquille O'Neal

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. Oscar Robertson

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. Bill Russell

0.6%
  18. John Stockton

0.6%
  19. Jerry West

0.6%
  20. Other (Specify)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. asharak Purple Belt

asharak
    Jordan also never faced a great team in the finals.

Quitting the sport is not a different issue. Both are mental/physical fatigue. One of these players suffered much shorter bouts of it than the other.

If you wanna talk about being petulant, there's a HOF speech to illustrate who is actually petulant.

Jordan is the best in the same way Montana is. Lots of first round playoff losses, won every championship he was able to get to because he had the best coach and team around him. His team was a championship contender without him.

If you wanna compare with Peyton, LeBron does have a much higher basketball IQ, constantly makes the best play, took 2 different teams to the promised land, has had no great coach, typically carried worse teams than his contemporaries, when he left/got injured his team went straight to the top of the draft.

If you wanna make the bad Peyton comparisons, they go to Jordan. Missing lots of games in the middle of the career, first round playoff exits.

What are you talking about? In Jordan's era, most players were bad shooters/unable to hit 3s except in 95-96(when they moved the line in). Half of the starters in Jordan's era wouldn't be able to get on the floor now. Defending someone from 25 feet in is a lot harder than from 15 feet in.

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  2. Madmick Stop Spoiling My TV Life (it's the one I like)

Madmick
    While nobody hates the destructive influence of ESPN talking head culture more than me, where they have grossly distorted the importance of team achievements to evaluating individual legacies, in a sport that's Championship stage has been so completely dominated by roughly half a dozen men for four decades, you simply cannot forward a player without a ring (as alpha on his team and Finals MVP) for the GOAT of the sport and expect your nomination be taken seriously. The Big O's only ring came in the pre-merger NBA behind the power of Kareem.

Oscar, Karl, Chuck, Garnett, and Durant never stood a chance in this poll, and the fact they are all but one of the players to get zero votes in this poll isn't a coincidence. Jerry West possessing a vote-- and Kobe possessing 11-- is just testament to the timeless truth that Laker fans are retarded. Stockton possessing a vote is testament to the fact that racist soccer fans exist.

Shaq not getting a vote-- particularly when Dirk and Hakeem each have two-- is also a pretty bad look.

3. blackbox90s Guest

blackbox90s
    You know you're talking to people who know the game and not a bunch of idiots right?

"LeBron plays on a lesser team in a better league". Where do you even get that from?

4. asharak Purple Belt

asharak
    Apparently not. I used relatively for a reason. While LeBron's team would crush the Bulls, so would a majority of modern playoff teams. Shooting and athleticism are vastly improved. The lowest offensive efficiency in this years playoffs is portland at 96.3. They've only been tracking that since 2002-03, but it was in 2007 when one team was more efficient than the worst team in this years playoff. When Lebron has left teams, they go in the toilet. When Jordan left his team, they were still a legitimate contender.

What Dynasties/great teams did Jordan beat while they were still in a championship window? Oh, that's right, none. LeBron has beaten the Spurs and the Warriors, who could go down as the greatest team ever assembled.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
    Martian 2.0 likes this.
  5. Fugazy Aka Ferrari Houseshoes

Fugazy
    Aaaaannnd this is where you outed yourself as a troll.

With a statement like that I have a hard time believing you are over 21.

The game overall is not full of all these awesome more athletic players. There is a reason why LeBron and the Unibrow and the Greek Freak are such outliers. The overall quality of the game, attention to fundamentals, team defense, intelligent passing and shot selection are all notably worse.
    There are also more easyways to draw bs fouls (James Harden) and flopping which LeFlop in all of his 6'8" glory has mastered.

Come on man, really.

And for the sake of Football comparisons, Jordan is really like Brady + Bradshaw + Montana.

6. asharak Purple Belt

asharak
    I stand by it. I was alive when Jordan was drafted.

If intelligent passing and shot selection are worse, why is offensive efficiency going up? The reason that team defense seems worse is that more players on the floor can shoot from more than 15 feet now. Players are better defenders, but they have to defend from 23 feet instead of 15. Half the players in Jordan's era couldn't get on the floor now because they couldn't shoot.

As if Jordan didn't get tons of BS fouls. There's a famous quote from one ref to another about blowing the whistle anytime Jordan missed going to the basket.

Football comparison wasn't mine. They were trying to make LeBron out to be Peyton, and I just showed that the negatives work better the other way. I put Montana into the conversation for both positive and negative reasons.

Since this IS an MMA forum, I'll submit this comparison

Russell<Jordan<LeBron in a similar way to
    Royce<Hughes<GSP

7. gspieler Black Belt

gspieler
    Rule changes, and the fact that aggressive defenses have largely been removed from the game, are the reason you see higher offensive. It's no secret that the NBA modifies its rules, as it sees fit, to make it more palatable for casual fans, who don't understand what they're watching.

Also, Lebron's manufactured super teams have lost to Dirk with a bunch of role players, and a Spurs team with a bunch of 40yr olds. The fact that the Spurs were still considered a dynasty in recent years, us a testament to state of the league. I say this, as a fan of the Spurs.

As for the Warriors, they're the best team under the current NBA model. 20 years ago, they're a WCF-level team. Still a legit great win for the Cavs, though.

Fugazy likes this.
  8. asharak Purple Belt

asharak

It's more that you can no longer leave most 4s open in the corner. That creates the spacing and the appearance that team defense is worse.

9. asharak Purple Belt

asharak
    Also, if you're right, the women's game has been better than the men's game for some time now.

10. Madmick Stop Spoiling My TV Life (it's the one I like)

Madmick
    John Wooden thought so.

11. hearthstone25 Blue Belt

hearthstone25
    I'm guessing you're still In your teens

12. asharak Purple Belt

asharak
    I was alive when he was drafted. I have fond memories of him, but never got into the ridiculous hero worship. I'm guessing you were born with a pair of his shoes on and have only really watched the youtube highlights of him.

13. Palis ♔ President of the War Room

Palis
    Snaq was indeed dominant but not in crunch time and was a rarity for last shot/play.

Snaq was indeed the most dominant of all time when visiting McDonalds though. GOAT BIG MAC DEVOURER.

14. Palis ♔ President of the War Room

Palis
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

VS

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

LeRoux is a freak athlete among freak athletes with a tremendous roid rush to the hoop and supplements up the ass that would make Arnold Schwarzenegger blush. He's had an amazing career and will continue that but he's ran twice to other superstars and has been extremely lucky he hasn't had any serious injuries. Great player doe, but there's about 5-6 other players I'd pick before him if I was making a team.

[​IMG]

15. hearthstone25 Blue Belt

hearthstone25
    Lol I call bullshit. You're a kid who grew up with lebron

16. HUNTERMANIA God alone.

HUNTERMANIA
    I've given up and have accepted that if Bron wins another ring, most people will try to say he is better than MJ... but having watched Jordan's playoff games... LeBron will never be on that level. Ever.

He can be 2nd best though. He's the only *OTHER* player I've watched and felt like, "That's LeBron," like, not just another player making great plays, but a distinctive player that deserves his own recognition. But he's not MJ.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 31, 2017
    Joe_Armstrong likes this.
  17. Joe_Armstrong Starfleet Belt

Joe_Armstrong
    People who think Lebron is better then Jordan,
    probably didn't see Space Jam.

RichardSwingslo likes this.
  18. mjmj Brown Belt

mjmj
    That’s a pretty good way to put it. I’ve never watched enough basketball to make a good comparison, but anyone that dismisses Jordan either wasn’t old enough to remember the late ‘80s and early ‘90s, or they were an anti-Bulls fan. Stats aside, he went far beyond just being the best player at the time. He changed the game and elevated it in the public eye well above what most people thought possible.

Joe_Armstrong likes this.
  19. AGGAMEMNON66 -----------Villain-----------

AGGAMEMNON66
    Meh, even in a random online poll Jordan dominates LeBron

lmao

20. MCS All aboard the Triple B!

MCS
    Close race between Lonzo & Ben Simmons. MJ, Dream and Kareem fill out the top 5.