Who's the best muay thai fighter of all time in MMA?

This is the most tired claim. No good Thai, who isn't shot, has even seriously bothered with MMA. The closest thing would be Sagetdao, and he hasn't had a problem so far.

And Saksongkram Poptheeratam beat the crap out of Ben Nguyen a few years ago and did it with little training beyond muay thai.
Of course i'm talking about the ones that tried, later on their careers or no, some of them who at some point were top level like people already mentioned here did try and didn't went very well for them, that's a fact. Also there's a good reason thais don't do that very often: MT traditional style doesn't work for MMA, as i stated you need some adaptations in your striking game, what Alexandre did.

A fighter who actually have competed in muay thai, and had success in MMA just as much if not more.

AS much as I dislike Anderson Silva, I guess it's kinda hard to say he's not the guy.
Richard Pryor

Prime Shogun and wand had excellent muay thai. Anderson and Werdum are ok.

All time, Prime Wanderlei had the perfect style to me. The Spider in the UFC era

This kid from Japan in the present

but I guess these guys are hybrid MT fighters as opposed to pure MT

Guess you never watched Affliction or StrikeForce/Elite XC events a few years ago.. there have been a few accomplished Thai boxers who tried mma in the past.
Like who?

When you say accomplished, in what way? Have they fought for a legitimate title? Fought against legitimate competition?

One major thing about Muay Thai is that generally anything above 160 lbs isn't going to be the cream of the crop when it comes to the art/sport, not to say that there aren't good fighters above that weight, but they aren't the best in the grand scheme of things., you're not generally going to find any Westerners with the kind of skill level, experience or accolades as current of former Stadium fighters. The best guys are Thai nationals that weight much less than most Westerners, and MMA isn't very popular in Thailand, hence why we don't see them fighting in MMA.

Like who?

When you say accomplished, in what way? Have they fought for a legitimate title? Fought against legitimate competition?

One major thing about Muay Thai is that generally anything above 160 lbs isn't going to be the cream of the crop when it comes to the art/sport, not to say that there aren't good fighters above that weight, but they aren't the best in the grand scheme of things., you're not generally going to find any Westerners with the kind of skill level, experience or accolades as current of former Stadium fighters. The best guys are Thai nationals that weight much less than most Westerners, and MMA isn't very popular in Thailand, hence why we don't see them fighting in MMA.

You must be new, as I said, you must not have watched the orgs I mentioned.. I've also mentioned a very well known Thai boxer who has competed in mma years ago, already, amongst others.. no need to repeat myself, and def no need to explain Thai Boxing to me when Bunkerd is my Kru, his son Boi is one of my bestfriend's and my head mma coach, call Kevin Ross a homie, and I've trained in Thai boxing and at gyms such as Fairtex SF, Pacific Ring MA, and Fairtex Thailand since 1997, plus have trained with, or currently train with, some mentioned in this thread.. cheers kiddo.

This is the most tired claim. No good Thai, who isn't shot, has even seriously bothered with MMA. The closest thing would be Sagetdao, and he hasn't had a problem so far.

And Saksongkram Poptheeratam beat the crap out of Ben Nguyen a few years ago and did it with little training beyond muay thai.
You must not know much about Thai boxing nor have been around mma that long then..

Wanderlei, Anderson and Shogun for the guys, and JJ and Valentina for the gals.

Joanna and Barboza are my current faves to watch.

You must be new, as I said, you must not have watched the orgs I mentioned.. I've also mentioned a very well known Thai boxer who has competed in mma years ago, already, amongst others.. no need to repeat myself, and def no need to explain Thai Boxing to me when Bunkerd is my Kru, his son Boi is one of my bestfriend's and my head mma coach, call Kevin Ross a homie, and I've trained in Thai boxing and at gyms such as Fairtex SF, Pacific Ring MA, and Fairtex Thailand since 1997, plus have trained with, or currently train with, some mentioned in this thread.. cheers kiddo.
Not even going to give me any examples.

Well, your statement about good Thaiboxers competing in EliteXC and Strikeforce means nothing if you can't back it up by naming names. Sounds more like you don't really have any examples, otherwise, why wouldn't you, if you want to prove your point.

I'm not new to anything. Been watching for better part of a decade. Just because I never bothered with EliteXC doesn't mean I don't know about the sport.

If you're supposed to be so educated, enlighten me.

Dropping all of this shit through a keyboard like it's supposed to mean something, you can't prove any of what you typed is true, why should I believe any of it?

Of course i'm talking about the ones that tried, later on their careers or no, some of them who at some point were top level like people already mentioned here did try and didn't went very well for them, that's a fact. Also there's a good reason thais don't do that very often: MT traditional style doesn't work for MMA, as i stated you need some adaptations in your striking game, what Alexandre did.

I wouldn’t be totally closed minded about traditional MT.

For example, if someone with a certain skill set, like Demian Maia or Frank Mir, were especially adept at MT, the would be amazing.

Someone will come along eventually.
It’s just that traditional MT is a lifestyle of it’s own; even guys like Phil Nurse, who worked with a few MMA fighters, prefer to stick to that lifestyle.

Prime Shogun and wand had excellent muay thai. Anderson and Werdum are ok.

He was reckless, though. He relied heavily on his chin and just being more aggressive than his opponent in Pride. Anderson wasn't/isn't strictly MT (he had a TKD background, among other things), but prime Silva had more precision and was technically better than Shogun. His downfall was age and hubris (thinking he could showboat and keep his hands down against anyone). He didn't fight like that in his early fights (Leben, Franklin X 2).

Back