Whos a better MMA grappler, Sonnen or Fedor?

JustOnce

On Hiatus
Double Yellow Card
Reaction score
Sonnen made his living wrestling everyone he fights. Fedor used to be really good grappler but it looks like it went to shit for a while now.

If it was all about grappling, who wins now?

Easy answer might be Fedor by armbar but Sonnens been working on sub defense forever and Fedor looks terrible on the ground nowadays.

In their primes - Fedor without a doubt

Now? Probably Chael, he's even been competing at a lot of high-level submission grappling tournaments recently. He beat Leo Vieira (who beat Eddie Bravo) at ADCC

I don't think Fedor would be able to armbar him nowadays

In their primes - Fedor without a doubt

Now? Probably Chael, he's even been competing at a lot of high-level submission grappling tournaments recently. He beat Leo Vieira (who beat Eddie Bravo) at ADCC

I don't think Fedor would be able to armbar him nowadays

If Tito can sub him...

Chael is awful off his back. I don't see Fedor taking him down though. He's a brawler now.

He might best him at this point too can you imagine

After seeing the Maldonalborabo fight......?

Yes.

Chael isn't as crappy as some like to point out, it might actually be a decent scrap.

It all depends, we don’t really get a glimpse of Fedors ground game nowadays so it’s hard to tell. No doubt he should incorporate new setups for submissions as well as drill escapes from the bottom or else the chance is high he can get stuck under a wrestelfucker like Chael.

Fedor fights standing to avoid the ground for a reason, what it is though is not clear. Maybe injuries?

Last edited:
Fedor in his prime definitely, but I think Chael has a good shot to beat him.

After seeing the Maldonalborabo fight......?

Yes.

Chael isn't as crappy as some like to point out, it might actually be a decent scrap.

Tito ran through sonnen,wandy caught him with his grandpa speed loopy shots........

Fedor by GOD'S WILL!!!!

Fedor in his prime grappled on a much higher level. Better off his back, better scrambles, better subs, better sub defense, better endurance, better hips stronger overall etc.

The thing is Fedors prime was 13 years ago and I dont think he has spent as much time on the mats as Sonnen has in the last 5 years and this fight may show that. Sonnen is an Olympic level wrestler with brown belt in BJJ and will be guzzling every steroid he can like the American cheater that he is like Frank Mir.

Fedor better be ready to wrestle and to scramble and to defend from sneaky shit or he can end up like Rua or Rampage.

Last edited:
I think Sonnen was a better grappler at MW than Fedor was at HW.

Exciting fight.

Fedor by first round KO.

Fedor by a landslide.

Chael is a good wrestler. That’s basically it. Fedor was good from everywhere

Back