Who would you favor over a prime Tyson?

6'9" and 7'0" are totally different beasts.
A prime Tyson staying short, bobbing and weaving his way inside, would have chewed those two up. Not that Richardson is much of a litmus test. He may have been 6'6" but his hands were up to only about 5'8". :D

"Prime Tyson" is the most over-rated boxer in history. His wins lack serious quality. Lol at people saying he'd be favourite over everyone. He beat a bunch of scrubs and one or 2 very good boxers.

I'm certain Holyfield didn't beat prime Tyson, I don't know how anyone can say a 3 year incarceration wouldn't affect him.

Lots of boxing math in this thread.

You could say if Henry Cooper and Sonny Banks got to Ali/Clay's chin then surely Liston who hits harder would have layed him out but it obviously didn't play out like that.

Foreman is the most interesting match up IMO. At first inspection given how slow George's hands looked at times then I would think Tyson's lateral movement in the pocket would allow him to be more evasive and bomb him out. Similar to prime Foremans Lyle fight but with Tyson as Lyle getting hit less. However, George was pretty unconventional and tended to throw at weird angles, I don't think Tyson's lateral movement would have fared as well against that unorthodoxy. Working at close distance like Tyson did it's half reflexes and half pre conceived ideas imo.

The other thing about Tyson is you have to remember though he had fired Rooney by the Douglas fight he was absolutely thrashed in that bout, only won one round. I agree with the poster who said he didn't go from prime to shot over night and the Douglas fight showed he could have problems with guys who had reach on him.

Overall I think prime Lewis and Foreman would have beat him 5 times out of 10, Ali would have probably been bombed out in the 4th or 5th.

His best win may be Ruddock. That should tell something.

While im no fan, i think Michael Spinks and me disagree with your opinion.

And i think the best 'boxer' he beat, was Tucker

I'm certain Holyfield didn't beat prime Tyson, I don't know how anyone can say a 3 year incarceration wouldn't affect him.

Lots of boxing math in this thread.

You could say if Henry Cooper and Sonny Banks got to Ali/Clay's chin then surely Liston who hits harder would have layed him out but it obviously didn't play out like that.

Foreman is the most interesting match up IMO. At first inspection given how slow George's hands looked at times then I would think Tyson's lateral movement in the pocket would allow him to be more evasive and bomb him out. Similar to prime Foremans Lyle fight but with Tyson as Lyle getting hit less. However, George was pretty unconventional and tended to throw at weird angles, I don't think Tyson's lateral movement would have fared as well against that unorthodoxy. Working at close distance like Tyson did it's half reflexes and half pre conceived ideas imo.

The other thing about Tyson is you have to remember though he had fired Rooney by the Douglas fight he was absolutely thrashed in that bout, only won one round. I agree with the poster who said he didn't go from prime to shot over night and the Douglas fight showed he could have problems with guys who had reach on him.

Overall I think prime Lewis and Foreman would have beat him 5 times out of 10, Ali would have probably been bombed out in the 4th or 5th.
I think he was out of shape and overconfident in the Douglas fight. I also think Ali outboxes him but Mike would always have a puncher's chance.

While im no fan, i think Michael Spinks and me disagree with your opinion.

And i think the best 'boxer' he beat, was Tucker

Ruddock was a suggestion. May very well have been Tucker ;)

6'9" and 7'0" are totally different beasts.
Sure man.
cunningham_knocks_down_fury.0.gif

LOL I am getting confused. I mean Tyson Fury. Do you mean Tyson Fury, or Mike Tyson isnt Cunningham?
Mike Tyson would knock Fury the fuck out within 3 rounds. It wouldnt be remotely competitive.

Mike is on record saying he stayed up all night fucking the housekeeping staff the night before the fight.

Doesn't sound like a legitimate excuse, he had to pass out eventually and I bet he slept like a log after all that pussy.

If he could prove someone had slipped him meth then I could believe that would interfere with his performance.

This will likely be a minority opinion, but I've always thought Frazier would be hell for Mike if he could get past the first 4 rounds (especially in a 15 rounder).

LOL I am getting confused. I mean Tyson Fury. Do you mean Tyson Fury, or Mike Tyson isnt Cunningham?

Let me attempt to settle this: Tyson Fury isn't Mike Tyson, and neither are Cunningham. Oh and Mike Tyson isn't Tyson Fury.

Back