Who would win? Fedor vs JDS

Like I said, I think he can knock people out, because anyone who is in the HW division has enough weight behind their strikes to take anyone else out, but he never really commits to his power shots and like I said in my earlier post he chooses to use his cardio more than anything. But he'll most likely never KO an elite HW in the 1st rd with 1 punch.

The last time I saw him throw a punch with real heat behind it was against Nogueira with the counter left hook he caught him with and the subsequent follow up punches.

I also think Cain will never really be good defensively because his style lends itself to being hyper aggressive the entire fight, and he's a HW, they aren't really known for being extremely coordinated and nimble. Most HWs don't have good defense, unless you consider being able to take a huge amount of punishment a defensive style.

Cain has landed power shots on Bigfoot, JDS and Nog in the 1st rounds, granted you could argue they aren't the hardest targets ever but the threat is clearly there.

I'd argue that back in Pride HW actually had a lot of guys with excellent defence, Fedor, Nog(back when he had handspeed/reaction time), Crocop, Sergei etc.

I do think JDS has a bit of a Liddell situation going on at HW today, not to the same degree but if he was in a division not just with Fedor and Crocop but also with Sergei, Aleks, Semmy and a younger quicker Hunt whilst fighting in a ring he'd have had his defencive problems exposed far more.

Last edited:
Cain has landed power shots on Bigfoot, JDS and Nog in the 1st rounds, granted you could argue they aren't the hardest targets ever but the threat is clearly there.

I'd argue that back in Pride HW actually had a lot of guys with excellent defence, Fedor, Nog(back when he had handspeed/reaction time), Crocop, Sergei etc.

I do think JDS has a bit of a Liddell situation going on at HW today, not to the same degree but if he was in a division not just with Fedor and Crocop but also with Sergei, Aleks, Semmy and a younger quicker Hunt whilst fighting in a ring he'd have had his defencive problems exposed far more.

You're not getting me, he lands power shots, sure, but he's 240lbs. If he just lifts his arm up and drops it on someone's face it's going to cause a decent impact. That's why I said he lacks 1 punch KO power, and he rarely puts all his power into his shots.

Everything he does is quick and in succession. He understands being a big man already gives him power, he doesn't need to use his muscles as much to create the torque.

He's not like JDS who you can tell when he's throwing a power shot. He throws it with every muscle in his body. The power of Cain's punches come from his momentum of his body moving towards you, he just has to stick his arm out and let his movement add the power. Which is smart, it makes his already formidable cardio even better since he's not expending nearly as much energy as someone like Dos Santos does when he wings those power shots.

As for the defense part, I don't agree that there ever was A LOT of HWs that had excellent defense. The guys you named were/are all in the top 10 at that time. 3 of the 4 are MMA legends. Kharitonov as defensively sound? I'm not so sure about that one. Alexander Emelianenko lit him up pretty good.

Most HWs are like JDS, they cover the holes in their defense by threatening with a vicious offense.

I think Fedor back in the back because of how durable he was.

Fedor, better movement, clinch, cardio, equal boxing/power, better ground/throws, and better at mixing it up. Watching him beat prime CC on the feet gives me little doubt.

JDS would uppercut himself to take him out of the fight before it even gets started, Ken Shamrock style.

Wasteland wins. How is this thread not there yet? o_O

apigiv.jpg

You're not getting me, he lands power shots, sure, but he's 240lbs. If he just lifts his arm up and drops it on someone's face it's going to cause a decent impact. That's why I said he lacks 1 punch KO power, and he rarely puts all his power into his shots.

Everything he does is quick and in succession. He understands being a big man already gives him power, he doesn't need to use his muscles as much to create the torque.

He's not like JDS who you can tell when he's throwing a power shot. He throws it with every muscle in his body. The power of Cain's punches come from his momentum of his body moving towards you, he just has to stick his arm out and let his movement add the power. Which is smart, it makes his already formidable cardio even better since he's not expending nearly as much energy as someone like Dos Santos does when he wings those power shots.

I am getting you I just disagree, to me Cain clearly seemed to be putting serious power into the knockdowns he's got, combo's might have been involved in the setup but it was one big punch he got his body behind that knocked the opponent down.

As for the defense part, I don't agree that there ever was A LOT of HWs that had excellent defense. The guys you named were/are all in the top 10 at that time. 3 of the 4 are MMA legends. Kharitonov as defensively sound? I'm not so sure about that one. Alexander Emelianenko lit him up pretty good.

Most HWs are like JDS, they cover the holes in their defense by threatening with a vicious offense.

Sergei getting lit up by Aleks after exchanging with him for several mins isn't exactly a sign of poor defence, more a sign of the extreme power and excellent offence both guys had.

The issue is really background and environment for me, all of those guys had striking backgrounds going back to their teens. Today theres obviously a real lack of this which in turn I think feeds into how fighters devolp.

Some good laughs were had, thanks PIT FIGHTER.

Anyways, Fedor would probably win due to being a better overall mixed martial artists, he'd have to only worry about JDSs strikes. JDS would have to worry about strikes and takedownds and thus his striking would suffer, see Cain vs JDS II and III.

Last edited:
Using Brett Rogers as an example for anything is just embarrassing. Dude may be the least talented guy to ever fight for a promotion as big as Strikeforce.

Brett Rogers destroyed Andrei Arlovski, but that doesn't mean that Andrei Arlovski is a weak fighter, because he destroyed Roy Nelson and Fabricio Werdum.

Brett Rogers for me is like a slightly less extreme version of Bob Sapp, a lot of his success was built on extreme aggression, one devastating knockout latter and that confidence was gone never to return.

Fedor's GNP looked good but it never put Cro-Cop or Nogueira out. Went to a decision each time.

Fedor's GNP looked good but it never put Cro-Cop or Nogueira out. Went to a decision each time.

I think he would have KO'd pretty much anyone else with those bombs he dropped on Nogueira.

BeyQn.gif

Also how can JDS be better than Crocop?
He can't. I said it before. JDS is like a mirror reflection to Cro Cop. They fight very similar. The only diference is that Cro Cop rely on his big left kick, while JDS rely on his right arm. In a fight fight between prime Cro Cop (2003-2006) who take pride's gays heads and JDS (2013) I will bet on Cro Cop. He was more agressive than JDS.
Cro Cop is better striker and better on the ground.

Fedor's sambo would fuck up JDS's world imo.

Prime Fedor would have beaten the shit out of JDS.

Back