Who Won? Robert Whittaker or Yoel Romero?

Who won?

• Total voters

Jon Stark

King in the North
Platinum Member
Reaction score
I just saw the fight and would say Whit 48-47. Only real swing round is 4 and Whit given the fact he's the champ and Yoel missed weight should always get the nod in a close round.

I don't believe there were any 10-8 rounds to make up a draw.

What's the consensus here?

Bobby Knuks 3-2 (imo).

I’d give it a draw.
Whittaker clearly won rounds 1,2 and 4.
Romero got rounds 3 and 5. I wouldn’t score the 3rd round a 10-8 because Whittaker bounced back after the knockdown and landed some good shots of his own. The 5th round I guess you can score it a 10-8 but I’d have to watch it again, which would make it 47-47.
So it’s very clearly 3 rounds to 2 in favour of Whittaker. Which either means he won or it’s a draw depending on how you scored the 5th. So the outcome isn’t a robbery, but I think it should have been a draw.
Keep in mind Romero didn’t make weight and Whittaker fought for at least 2 rounds with a broken hand.

A 10-7 for the fifth round is a much more reasonable score than 10-9. Props for Whittaker for returning from the dead, but he was dropped, absorbed a ton of damage, turtled up and didn't do anything of significance to make up for what happened. When he was turtled up fight could have been stopped and nobody would be able to complain. If that's not a 10-8, then it's better to just get rid of 10-8s.

Watching the fight live I was kinda biased and thought Whittaker won. Looking back it should have been a draw.

A 10-7 for the fifth round is a much more reasonable score than 10-9. Props for Whittaker for returning from the dead, but he was dropped, absorbed a ton of damage, turtled up and didn't do anything of significance to make up for what happened. When he was turtled up fight could have been stopped and nobody would be able to complain. If that's not a 10-8, then it's better to just get rid of 10-8s.

Wut?

Romero really didn't start fighting until Round 3. I gave Whittaker Rounds 1, 2 and 4 with 4 being close.

Romero won hands down without question. Only a biased fanboy would see it otherwise. This coming from someone who doesn't care about either of these guys.

Romero won

Fighting is about damage

10-point system is flawed, and even under it most people scored it for the cuban

We already did one of these. Anyway, in my opinion Romero should not have lost. I could see a draw with one 10-8 or a win with two 10-8 rounds.

Also of note, the current scoring system is absolutely and inconceivably stupid. Why score out of ten, why not just score of 2 or 3? It’s not like we ever use 6 to 0 anyway. 7 is used maybe once a year if there is a couple of point deductions or one fighter almost kills another and there is a point deduction. 10-8 happen once every 30 fights or something. A bunch of children could make rules that make more sense than this crap.

Last edited:
I just saw the fight and would say Whit 48-47. Only real swing round is 4 and Whit given the fact he's the champ and Yoel missed weight should always get the nod in a close round.

I don't believe there were any 10-8 rounds to make up a draw.

What's the consensus here?

The whole gotta take the win vs the champ thing is stupid,always has been and stems from early 20th century boxing and missing weight has nothing to do with how it should be scored,it should be scored on who wins the round.Not disagreeing with you but these points are moot.

Yoel did more damage and won bigger in the two rounds he dropped Whittaker, but he legit lost 3-2 on points.

I’d give it a draw.
Whittaker clearly won rounds 1,2 and 4.
Romero got rounds 3 and 5. I wouldn’t score the 3rd round a 10-8 because Whittaker bounced back after the knockdown and landed some good shots of his own. The 5th round I guess you can score it a 10-8 but I’d have to watch it again, which would make it 47-47.
So it’s very clearly 3 rounds to 2 in favour of Whittaker. Which either means he won or it’s a draw depending on how you scored the 5th. So the outcome isn’t a robbery, but I think it should have been a draw.
Keep in mind Romero didn’t make weight and Whittaker fought for at least 2 rounds with a broken hand.

Agreed with this.

5th round should probably be 10-8 but not the 3rd

Romero did basically nothing for 2 rounds, can't play it safe and expect to win like that. Specially when his eye was damn near closed and scoring being so close in others.

First of all, weight-cutting has zero to do with scorijg criteria.

Secondly, if fans would read the new rules & the way rounds are supposed to be scored Yoel won round 4 by hurting Whittaker twice & round 5 was a for sure 10-8 & possible 10-7.

If only mma fans knew how to read

I feel like there is a very strong argument for a draw, I'll need to watch the fight again but I had it 3-2 for Whittaker with Romero scoring a 10-8 in the final round.

Anyone saying it was a clear cut 'robbery' is exaggerating. That fight was tricky to score.

In a practical sense I'm always relieved if the guy who missed weight loses in the event of a very close decision.

This makes no sense. A close round should be given to whoever fought better according to the REAL FIGHT SCORING CRITERIA.

If the round is too close then the round should be a 10-10 or whatever.

A round should not be determined by being a champ or if someone made weight. This is stupid and does not reflect the scoring criteria at fucking all.

Whittaker-Romero:

10-9

10-9

9-10

10-9

8-10

47-47 DRAW

Back