Who will win the rematch? Ward or Kovalev

Who wins the rematch?

• Total voters

Alanf7

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Imo Ward figured him out in the middle of the fight. After that he became more loose and knew exactly what to do to win the rounds while avoiding Kova's power.

In my opinion Ward will make his adjustments knowing how to fight Kova better now and outpoint him in the rematch without any controversy.

Just watched it back, and i must say, it was a great fight and i'm happy i witnessed it.

Ward will beat him a lot clearer this time. Stall and maul, work the body and box. He's out of the danger zone after 3 or 4 rounds.

Kov lots of factors favor him

History favors Ward

But recent history favors Kova
Since I don't see Ward Koing Kov
, I expect Kov to win a controversial decision

I favor Kovalev in the rematch versus Ward. Had he taken a few more risks and pushed the pace a bit more in the 1st fight; he would have won the fight. He uses his range intelligently and has a great job. Jabs neutralize speed. He also has a high boxing IQ to match that of his opponent. I wouldn't even be surprised if he won by TKO. He's a bad match up for Ward if you ask me.

I think we get another close fight. Kovalev is too good from the outside to have Ward show any amount of dominance there, and Ward has to take certain risks in order to get inside where he is clearly the better man. Add to that the fact that Kovalev is a faster starter and can put Ward down, and I think we're in for a relatively similar fight to last time with Kovalev picking up the early rounds, and Ward edging a lot of rounds down the stretch. Kovalev can win clearly if he is capable of adjusting and maintaining his pace throughout the fight, but I'm not sure if he is the type of fighter who builds his tempo as the fight goes on.

They both know what works for them, the slight advantage probably goes to Ward because he is a bit more versatile and capable of making adjustments.

This needs a poll. And ward beats him, just clearer than last time, power is not more important than solid boxing.

I like Kovalev, I want him to win. I thought the first match was very close and could have gone either way.

Would be buying the PPV no doubt if a rematch was put on.

Kovalev's behavior recently has me questioning his mental toughness and attitude. He seems to be letting his bitterness over the decision get the better of him. Going out there looking to KO Ward is not the right move and he's setting himself up to get embarrassed unless he can exercise some restraint. He's been acting like a spoiled bitch.

I felt like Kovalev had his shot and blew it. Ward should look a lot better in the rematch if it happened soon enough.

The fighter who can adjust better is the favourite in a rematch. Kov is a very good fighter and can prove it wrong this time, but until then my money is on Ward.

Imo Ward figured him out in the middle of the fight. After that he became more loose and knew exactly what to do to win the rounds while avoiding Kova's power.

In my opinion Ward will make his adjustments knowing how to fight Kova better now and outpoint him in the rematch without any controversy.

Just watched it back, and i must say, it was a great fight and i'm happy i witnessed it.

First thing I thought of when I read the title was Ward had him figured him out in the later rounds.

i'll be rooting for kovalev, but i could see ward edging him out again.

thought sergey won the first fight, though.

I want Kovalev to win, but honestly I think Ward will be better prepared and has Kovalev figured out a bit and will win a clear cut decision.

I'm with the media majority who thought Kovalev won the first fight, but I think Ward will win the second. How often do aggressive punchers have the advantage in a rematch? It's a lot easier to survive and outpoint a guy who you've already spent 12 rds learning.

Last edited:
I'm with the majority who thought Kovalev won the first fight, but I think Ward will win the second. How often do aggressive punchers have the advantage in a rematch? It's a lot easier to survive and outpoint a guy who you've already spent 12 rds with.

I was gonna say Joe Louis is among the few exceptions to that, but I forget that he was more of a puncher-boxer and tended to take more of counter-striker approach as opposed to being the typical aggressive puncher. Dude was usually murderous in rematches though.

I was gonna say Joe Louis is among the few exceptions to that, but I forget that he was more of a puncher-boxer and tended to take more of counter-striker approach as opposed to being the typical aggressive puncher. Dude was usually murderous in rematches though.

I'd actually class Kovalev as a boxer-puncher. He tends to prefer the front foot, but he's not a pure pressure guy in the traditional sense.

I thought Kovalev won the fight but it was razor close. Ward gave Kovalev a lot of trouble, especially with the body work, so it'll be interesting to see if Kovalev can make the necessary adjustments in the rematch.

Ward is a boxing prodigy so logically if anyone is going to be better in the rematch, it's going to be him.

I'd actually class Kovalev as a boxer-puncher. He tends to prefer the front foot, but he's not a pure pressure guy in the traditional sense.

Ah I see. Myself I've yet to catch any of his fights in their entirety. Just highlights that mainly depicted him as an aggressive puncher.

If Kov doesn't do anything to negate that level change body jab (and the work behind it) then it's gonna be a even more clear win for Ward. Say what you want about who you think won the first fight but only one of them made adjustments as the fight went on. Kov is pretty singular in his approach (not a knock as he's terribly effective) but against a chameleon like Ward that's not gonna cut it...esp in a rematch.

Ward is similar to Floyd in that after a few rounds they generally have you figured out and are gonna run away with the fight if you don't adjust with them.

Ward UD

Poll added

Back