Who was the best Seattle grunge singer?

The harmonies Layne and cantrell is my personal favorite but lone vocalist has to be Cornell

Cornell and, if we're being honest with ourselves here, its not even close.

1. Cornell
2. Staley
3. Vedder

I can't imagine my friends back east invented this, but I haven't heard it anywhere else, they refer to Cornell's voice as "The Weapon".

Chris Cornell by a longshot. In terms of music that we call grunge I prefer the music of Dinosaur Jr, but as far as grunge vocalists Cornell hands down was the best.

Don't think I've ever heard Dinosaur Jr described as grunge.

How about Adam Czeisler of Sweet Water (my favorite Grunge band).

I can't stand Eddie Vedder. Pearl Jam was always the posers of the grunge scene. They were the most studio out of all the grunge bands IMO

Cornell had the most versatile singing voice but I like Kurt and Layne and their raspy scratchy voices.

They were the most studio out of all the grunge bands IMO

Wrong.

PJ recorded Ten live.

They've always used very little studio trickery on their records.

Soundgarden albums, by contrast, were very studio polished.

Wrong.

PJ recorded Ten live.

They've always used very little studio trickery on their records.

Soundgarden albums, by contrast, were very studio polished.

Had nothing toDo with polished.

It had to do with pearl jam
Being the biggest posers outta the grunge scene. Which they were

Had nothing toDo with polished.

It had to do with pearl jam
Being the biggest posers outta the grunge scene. Which they were
This is just an ignorant opinion

They'e more traditional than the other grunge bands.. they wernt posing. They just pulled from more classic rock influence. Mainly from their guitarist who is amazing.

I'm an artist and I don' have any tolerance for people shit talking on other artists. Grow up dumbass. You can dislike a band all you want... no need to be a prick about it.

Last edited:
This is just an ignorant opinion

They'e more traditional than the other grunge bands.. they wernt posing. They just pulled from more classic rock influence. Mainly from their guitarist who is amazing.

I'm an artist and I don' have any tolerance for people shit talking on other artists. Grow up dumbass. You can dislike a band all you want... no need to be a prick about it.

They were the biggest posers in that scene. It was known back in the day also.

And I don't dislike pearl jam, they're my least favorite from that era. Their music was the most studio out of all the major bands.

They were the biggest posers in that scene. It was known back in the day also.

And I don't dislike pearl jam, they're my least favorite from that era. Their music was the most studio out of all the major bands.
They sound pretty damn good live...

Eddie Vedder was invited to perform at Cornell's funeral and they both gained fame being in Temple of the Dog together.

Andrew Wood RIP. Way before his time.

Cornell gets my vote.

How does Andrew Wood still get so much love? MLB was a cockrock band and they sucked.

Out of the four listed in the OP, the only answer I can give is Vedder is the one who doesn't belong. The other three were amazing in different ways.

Layne (although I always considered Alice in Chains metal and not grunge).
AIC has more grunge in them then any of the other bands including nirvana

Listen to the Dirt album. It's grungy enough to make me want to kill myself. In a good way.

AIC has more grunge in them then any of the other bands including nirvana

Listen to the Dirt album. It's grungy enough to make me want to kill myself. In a good way.

I think the essence of the grunge music that originated in Seattle in the early 90's gets lost sometimes. Grunge was an off-shoot of punk rock with some metal undertones. Nirvana was much more grunge than the others.

Andrew Wood for me, Eddie is terrible, a charlatan. Of the listed, Chris Cornell, who's best work was ironically in tribute to Wood. Kurt was pretty good too.
Yeah, I'm not even a huge Pearl Jam fan, but I've never heard a band play as flawlessly live as them.

Back