Who was more impressive, Fedor or Jon Jones?

Fedor beat guys in their prime who went on to achieve accolades in other organizations.

Jones drafted behind a fallen era. He is a victim of his own era.
Dumb! Jones destroyed shogun to become the champ. Beat Rampage, Evans, Machida, DCx2, Vitor, Gus. Aside from Nog and Crocop. Fedors comp doesnt even compare to Jones.

lol no offense, Fedor fought cans my friend. JAIDEEP SINGH who has a current record of 2 wins and 3 losses today, CHRIS HASEMAN record of 20 wins and 17 losses, LEE HASDELL 9 wins 14 losses, YUJI NAGATA 0 wins 2 losses..... Thats just to name a few, I could go on if youd like, but you do the research.

Half of Jones wins are over cans.

Cheers.

nonono you can say whatever you want about the other fighters, but ... shogun is one of my fav. fighters and he wasnt the same after all the knee injuries and stuff. by your logic, Wladimir klitschko should also be in his prime, cuz he never lost, but he wasnt. Buffon with his 40 years is still (football) top 3, but waaaay out of his prime.

shogun + all the injuries
<{cruzshake}>
Which is it? Was Shogun a scrub when Jones made him tap to strikes? Was Shogun a scrub when he KO'd Lyoto quick & easy and arguably should have won the decision in the first match?

Was Lyoto a scrub when Shogun beat him, but not when Lyoto outclassed Rashad and KTFO'd him?

1280x720-0n9.jpg

Poor little boy... MA math is like a unicorn. Extinct because it didn't make any sense. See what I did there?
Some of you truly sound like crystal meth addicts with permanent brain damage. Are you guys posting from a drug rehab center?

One fights bigger men. The other fights smaller men. Im more impressed by Fedor when he was on top of his game.

Jones has a more storied career and more big name victories. His feuds with Rashad and then DC were dramatic and he overcame both. Along with the comeback after drugs etc.

Fedor fought the best of his era but then stopped fighting the best and started fighting guys like Zulu. MMA is a lot tighter in this era. Everyone is a well rounded MMA fighter now, instead of being a "kickboxer or BJJ guy who can get by in MMA".

I've never felt a mystique around a fighter like the one around Fedor though. People really thought he could beat up animals and shit. They called him peak human and said he could take out Batman, and he looks like a bald librarian or a professional curler from Canada. (Kevin Martin)

The aura around Fedor was similar to the aura around Anderson, it seemed like they were both magic - but Fedor a little moreso.

Jones seems more like a guy who is just crushing people, he doesn't have a magic aura, imo anyway. He just seems like he's bigger and more skilled.

^ Good point. Dominating guys in the modern era who are more well rounded and dangerous should be given more weight than beating guys who barely got by in their older MMA era.

jones and it aint close

wanna compare then use gsp and jones

fedor shouldnt be named, fedor was a hw who lost to a mw in hendo lol gsp is a ww who would smash hendo lol

Jones has a more storied career and more big name victories. His feuds with Rashad and then DC were dramatic and he overcame both. Along with the comeback after drugs etc.

Fedor fought the best of his era but then stopped fighting the best and started fighting guys like Zulu. MMA is a lot tighter in this era. Everyone is a well rounded MMA fighter now, instead of being a "kickboxer or BJJ guy who can get by in MMA".

I've never felt a mystique around a fighter like the one around Fedor though. People really thought he could beat up animals and shit. They called him peak human and said he could take out Batman, and he looks like a bald librarian or a professional curler from Canada. (Kevin Martin)

The aura around Fedor was similar to the aura around Anderson, it seemed like they were both magic - but Fedor a little moreso.

Jones seems more like a guy who is just crushing people, he doesn't have a magic aura, imo anyway. He just seems like he's bigger and more skilled.
good post

yes mma is way tougher now to string together wins than it was before especially considering who jones faced

You can't really compare their careers.

He fought Singh when he was almost 40, and certainly washed up.

The other guys you listed fell in periods where he was fighting 5 times a year.

HW records will always be worse than lower weight classes - that's why the belt changes hands so often, even now. HW's hit hard enough that one punch is all it takes, and no matter how big a can you are facing, your chances of being caught and losing are much greater at HW.

In addition to fighting much more often, Fedor also held gold medals in combat sambo while simultaneously fighting in Pride. Combat Sambo is basically Russian mma.

So it's no surprise that a man with that many miles would decline rapidly, as he did in his later fights.

The minute Jon Jones starts taking risks and fighting 3 HW cans IN ADDITION TO his regularly scheduled title defenses/legit fights, while simultaneously taking fights in another mma organization, such as combat sambo, then you can make an apt comparison.

You would also have to wait until Jon gets a little mileage on him. Chances are, like most fighters, he will decline, look like shit, and everyone will lambaste him for "never really being that great", because they will look at the records of other fighters who he beat, and sure enough those fighters will also be declining and suffer the same "they were never really that good" revisionisms.
Meh...yeah but I only named a few, if you look at Fedors resume from fight 1 and up he fought many others that had awful records, some were just freaks with size, and some were not ever true heavyweights as we know them. Also no fighter can truly be compared to another but to the TS question I answered the best I could with what I knew.

when pride was in the US (las vegas for example) they did tests. And 2 affliction events vs timma and AA (won all 3 fights in the usa) he also got tested by NSAC + olympia test. He also lost in Sambo, which he has dominated for 10 years and you could see how he slowly began to suck ... maybe it was because he started with the religion stuff, or he did not take training as srs as back then (his trainer said this) ... idk. Spain (the golden generation) also began to suck in their 30s + brazil and italy was stil top for their 35 year old players.

anyway ... didnt read everything
<GinJuice>
JA7J8Sv.gif

To me, Fedor was impressive because he was a small heavyweight. Jones is undefeated, and his skills are impressive as well, but he is a giant in the division. They are impressive in totally different ways to me.....

They're both absurd quality athletes. Fedor gets the edge for me because he took on bigger guys that were high-level and wasn't popped for roids or hide under a cage from the testing committee.

I know people will claim the whole can thing. Those people have no sense of history, and he was more active over his decade of undefeated work. Also, let's note Jones gets past-prime guys more than Fedor did. But tit-for-tat on quality and slight shade for both careers.

Meh...yeah but I only named a few, if you look at Fedors resume from fight 1 and up he fought many others that had awful records, some were just freaks with size, and some were not ever true heavyweights as we know them. Also no fighter can truly be compared to another but to the TS question I answered the best I could with what I knew.

I agree he fought a lot of cans.

I'm just saying it's difficult to gauge how well JBJ would do if he were being forced to fight openweight every couple months, while also holding gold in combat sambo year after year.

To put things in perspective, Jon Jones lost more rounds in the Gus fight than Fedor did in a 10 year stretch.

Back