Who still has any hope in shogun?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time to hetire.

No more trainy, just eaty, sleepy now!

I don't really care about Shogun, don't dislike him, he just doesn't peak my interest and never has.

Maybe I hold some deep rooted resentment over Chuck and Machida or maybe he's vastly overrated.

He may be overrated now but there was a time when Shogun was the best LHW in the world. His run in the GP might be the most impressive win streak in MMA history

I think it’s time to retire

Age catching up to him and the younger crowd

shogun is a former champ who has beaten four or five former champs.
shogun is coming off his biggest win streak since 2007

he had to fly all the way to germany and got caught with a lucky front kick the way jones caught him with a lucky knee

Shogun is probably the biggest draw at LHW now; he is only a win or two from getting a title shot next year after DC retires. you think he can't beat guys like tyson pedro or patrick cummins?

shogun will be back, don't worry

he had to fly all the way to germany and got caught with a lucky front kick the way jones caught him with a lucky knee

Shogun is probably the biggest draw at LHW now; he is only a win or two from getting a title shot next year after DC retires. you think he can't beat guys like tyson pedro or patrick cummins?

You’re insane.

I do. My hope for him is that he retires.

He may be overrated now but there was a time when Shogun was the best LHW in the world. His run in the GP might be the most impressive win streak in MMA history
Yeah, his wins are impressive, but that version of Shogun hasn't been around for more than a decade, I don't think It's right to cherry pick a 4-5 year segment of a 16 year career and say this guys a potential Goat candidate based on that.

Maybe barring injuries he would've been what some of his fans think he is, but for more than half his career he's been pretty lacklustre.

Agree Shogun was best LHW in the world at one point, and although I too have probably said that his run in the GP might be the most impressive win streak, its really not. It’s probably the best 6 or 7 month period ever for any fighter, maybe the best year ever for any fighter considering who he fought and how he won. But, Fedor had a really long win streak over many quality opponents, GSP’s streak is ridiculous with a list of who’s who at 170 lbs, even Anderson’s was insane.

Maybe thats what you meant anyway though.

To answer TS, I’m a delusional Shogun fan, but even at that, I knew he wasn’t going to beat the top of the division. It sucks losing to Smith (he obv has power so it’s not shocking) but I don’t think his career is necessarily over. They can match him against a lower level guy who either isn’t a huge KO slugger, some older guy like Ed Herman or Glover (who obv is a KO slugger lol, but super slow and is at the same stage as Shogun career wise I think) or maybe some grappler. Shogun looked really slow out there and I just don’t think he has much left in the tank, which sucks to say as a nuthugger :\

You need to face reality.

I think Shogun hasn't really improved over the years and Anthony Smith showed that. Smith had a good gameplan, was well coached on Shogun, and put in a great performance.

He should have retired many years ago. He was on a win streak yes, but it wasn’t against elite opponents. I’m a Shogun fan myself but found it ridiculous with the fans wanting him to fight DC. Are they fans or do they truly hate him? Shogun should fight cans if he continues to fight but it would be better for his brain if he hung up the gloves. OR, which I have been hoping for for many years, if he moved down to MW as he looks really small and fat at LHW.

He can still beat guys like Alvery, Corey, Cummins or even Glover.
But I don't see how he beats Gus, Latifi, OSP, Pedro, Reyes, Volkan.

Maybe a retirement fight in Brazil vs Glover

Im a big fan but no, i dont believe so. Let him bang with low ranked guys if he wants to, but i dont think he can climb the ranks anymore

He has zero to prove ..total pioneer and legend in the sport.
Should have retired after the Hendo fight really..
That was horrible to watch and really didn't need to happen..
Hang the gloves up shogun
I would respect him more for doing so.

everyone forgets he was on a win streak. yeah he should retire but of coarse he can still win some fighs

At LHW...and a win streak that started almost three years ago with wins against Nogueira, Anderson, and Villante...not very impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back