Who Rickson Didn’t Face?

Aside from Kerr some of those Hammerhouse icons had terrible sub defense and sub-par stand-up. Plays right into Rickson's game. The better sub-grapplers like Tito and Frank would've probably beat him (Frank with a better chance), while a fight with Bas that could've materialized would've been interesting since Bas' weakness was TDD, and while he improved greatly in grappling midway through his run he'd still be at a disadvantage there.

I saw Choke years ago - Rickson had a hard time with Yoshihisa Yamamoto , who's a tough guy , but he was what everyone today would refer to as a can . I've always thought , and still do , that Rickson is Yoshihisa Yamamoto level .

Horn is pretty big for someone like Frank...

The Allan Goes fight is GOAT fight, very competitive

Horn is unathletic and he dominated frank until overtime.

Goes would have choked frank out if there was no rope breaks. He had him dead to rights.

Horn is unathletic and he dominated frank until overtime.

Goes would have choked frank out if there was no rope breaks. He had him dead to rights.
ah..ropes were part of the game in Pancrase..

Horn and Goes, both incidentally miles better than anyone Rickson ever beat.

His best win was a small and half-blind Yuki Nakai. Just stop.

Horn and Goes, both incidentally miles better than anyone Rickson ever beat.

His best win was a small and half-blind Yuki Nakai. Just stop.
Rei Zulu was a tough mission for a young rookie...A real freak...

Obviously, the 2 fights can be deem as controversial, but at least Rickson himself acknowledged that it was his toughest fight (the 1st one).

Funaki coming out of retirement because neither of his knees worked anymore? Have a day off.
Funaki coming out of retirement because neither of his knees worked anymore? Have a day off.

Funaki still a pioneer and a legend, while horn is just a journeyman who fought a lot. I’d rather have funaki name on my win list than horn, regardless what time the fight took place.

Why do you hate rickson so much? Did he not give you a stripe on your white belt at a seminar?

Funaki still a pioneer and a legend, while horn is just a journeyman who fought a lot. I’d rather have funaki name on my win list than horn, regardless what time the fight took place.

Why do you hate rickson so much? Did he not give you a stripe on your white belt at a seminar?

Rickson is a perfectly hate-able figure, as a cynical opportunist and a sanctimonious asshole, but I don't hate him. His record just sucks and it has no actual top fighters on it.

Rickson is a perfectly hate-able figure, as a cynical opportunist and a sanctimonious asshole, but I don't hate him. His record just sucks and it has no actual top fighters on it.

Cool just checking. I always wanted to see him fight Saku and Ruas, shame it never happened.

fedor-emelianenko-kazushi-sakuraba-signed-8x10-photo-bas-beckett-coa-pride-fc2-t7215139-1600.jpg

1. Rickson always beats Royce, so whoever Royce beat, Rickson would beat.
Royce would have beaten Saku if it were a standard match (Rewatch the fight its true) but it went for 90 minutes and I won't spoil the reason for the outcome. Royce beat him in the rematch. If Royce does this, Rickson does it 10x better. So Saku looses to Rickson.

What are you talking about?

Royce asked for that rule set and wouldn't fight otherwise.

Saku beat him every round and has since said he took it slow to punish Royce for the silly rule set.

You know Royce tested positive for steroids for the rematch right? That is a loss, no matter what the corrupt records say.

That's 0-2 to Sakuraba.

The rest of your post is equally silly.

And BTW, I think Rickson was legit. Especially for the time. Super athletic and good skills and heart.

Oh my, another thread of revisionist history and opinions!

Without modern record keeping we do not know who Rickson fought outside his official late career MMA stats, and the few publicized dojo fights (Anjo, Duarte x2, Zulu x2), with the latter obviously just a sample of who he fought. We know he did not turn down fights if he was challenged, and had a significant part in the Luta Livre wars. The late career he dominated against relatively less competition, though always impressive against multiple opponents a night, no scouting report, and all but one outweighing him by 20 to 100 pounds all finishes. No one does that if they were protecting a legacy. Funaki outweighed him by 20 ponds and was 11 years his junior.

So a few benchmarks must be used to measure by

1. Rickson always beats Royce, so whoever Royce beat, Rickson would beat.
Royce would have beaten Saku if it were a standard match (Rewatch the fight its true) but it went for 90 minutes and I won't spoil the reason for the outcome. Royce beat him in the rematch. If Royce does this, Rickson does it 10x better. So Saku looses to Rickson.

Royce beat Dan Severn (one of my favorite fights back in the day) Rickson beats him easily.

Royce beat Ken Shamrock, Ken Shamrock beat Bas Rutten, so Rickson is 10x better than Royce.

2. Look at his skills vs the opponents mentioned.
It has been said a good MMA fighter is a brown belt in everything. Rickson was/is Blackbelt level in obviously GJJ (not sport BJJ which is not always a good transition to MMA/NHB), but also Judo, Sambo, and amateur wrestling. He could also punch.

Mark Coleman was a killer but he was susceptible to someone who could catch him in a transition to the ground. Rickson's a master in the transition, and unparalleled on his back. Either a sub or a sweep, which Coleman would not survive with Rickson on top.

Henderson also had a lot of trouble with BJJ fighters in that time period. Henderson is not KO'ing Rickson and can't just out wrestle him. The more he tries the more he opens himself up.

Oleg - Rickson wrestles him and subs from top. Renzo beat Oleg, Rickson beats Renzo.

Tito - as good as Tito was, don't see him taking Rickson down. Standing Guillotine.

Don Frye - some say it would go like it did with Amaury Bitetti, but Frye won because Betetti could not take him down. Rickson's takedowns are much more dynamic and varied, it would have been unlikely if Frye would not have ended up on his back at some point. Rickson Gn'P from mount.

Frank Shamrock - would be a good fight, but Frank's strengths are also Rickson's strengths and Rickson was stronger.

Igor - Man Igor was solid! Low center of gravity, lightning quick thunderous hands. Outweighed Rickson by 20 pounds. Would have been good.

Of course, no gloves or hand wrappings, with no time limits I don't see Rickson in his prime losing to anybody. Its like he was designed to succeed in that form of combat.

Just because he beat his brothers at bjj doesn't mean he would stand up to them in a fight. There's a kid who I had to wrestle a few times, when I went to wrestling conditioning, a few years back. He out grappled me, more often than not, because he was just more experienced and skillful under folk style wrestling rules. After practice some guys started doing catch style wrestling with submissions and stuff. That was what I wanted to do in the first place so I joined in and I didn't lose once. I had like 11 wins, right there, in that like 15 minutes, before I got picked up. Me and that guy paired up twice and I put him down twice, in under a minute, each time. You can bet, I felt like Ken Shamrock (kafabe Ken Shamrock). I was on peoples ankles like crazy. I might not be able to wrestle folk style, but I can catch wrestle. Rickson might be able to twist and contort people in bjj, but he's 5'9, 185lbs, and few people are stupid enough to try to out bjj him or wear a gi against him. If you think he'd beat Sakuraba, I don't even know what to tell you. Ken sat in Gi having Royces guard for 26 minutes in the rematch so what about that? It took Rickson 6:22 to submit a guy who had already suffered an injury that would end his career earlier that night. The guy was also 5'7, a grappler (should've played right into Ricksons game), and had already been though another fight after the injury. Are you saying Royce would've taken more than 6:30 to beat Yuki under those conditions?

He is a bullshitter - absolutely in love with his own self-proclaimed legend.

Just because he beat his brothers at bjj doesn't mean he would stand up to them in a fight. There's a kid who I had to wrestle a few times, when I went to wrestling conditioning, a few years back. He out grappled me, more often than not, because he was just more experienced and skillful under folk style wrestling rules. After practice some guys started doing catch style wrestling with submissions and stuff. That was what I wanted to do in the first place so I joined in and I didn't lose once. I had like 11 wins, right there, in that like 15 minutes, before I got picked up. Me and that guy paired up twice and I put him down twice, in under a minute, each time. You can bet, I felt like Ken Shamrock (kafabe Ken Shamrock). I was on peoples ankles like crazy. I might not be able to wrestle folk style, but I can catch wrestle. Rickson might be able to twist and contort people in bjj, but he's 5'9, 185lbs, and few people are stupid enough to try to out bjj him or wear a gi against him. If you think he'd beat Sakuraba, I don't even know what to tell you. Ken sat in Gi having Royces guard for 26 minutes in the rematch so what about that? It took Rickson 6:22 to submit a guy who had already suffered an injury that would end his career earlier that night. The guy was also 5'7, a grappler (should've played right into Ricksons game), and had already been though another fight after the injury. Are you saying Royce would've taken more than 6:30 to beat Yuki under those conditions?
Only 1 thing:
Hickson was hespectin´Nakai & his infamous injury, was not goin´ full strikes on the ground to open for the sub...

Back