Who remembers when Nate was elite...?

Benoitthegr8

Filthy Pensioner
Platinum Member
Reaction score
I know many on these forums don’t remember Marquardt when he was elite, but he had some vicious finishes to many legit fighters to his credit. I was always a fan because he reminded me of my big GI Joe doll from the 70’s when I was a kiddo. He was an old school fighter who let his work in the cage speak for itself. He had 56 pro fights with 28 between UFC and SF, never turned down or Cherri-picked opponents and win, lose, or draw always presented himself as a true martial artist should (humble/respectful/grateful)
He was usually exciting to watch and would often smash muther fuggers and add to his HL reel

While I’m at it here are his top finishes, Nate was savage.

marquardt-ko-woodley-gif.gif

2vmj950.jpg

marquardt_27s_20spectactular_20finish_medium.gif

giphy-downsized-large.gif

903v5v.gif

Nate+Marquardt+Armbars+James+Te+Huna+UFC+Fight+Night+Auckland.gif

OffbeatBlindGroundhog.gif

ykqyd.gif

Renzo_27s_shoe_cleaner.gif

16324.2.jpg

jakks-nate-marquardt.jpg

Yes he’s been on the opposite end of some HL reel KO’s and I’m sure in Sherdog fashion those will be posted shortly below. He also screwed the pooch a few times like the AJ fight and his subsequent release. However he did his time in the feeder orgs and gave us that gem Woodley smashing and made it back to the big show. It that was a different era in MMA to all you zero-defect SJW’s who will claim he was a cheat, everyone was a cheat in that era, even allegedly Bisping...

War Nate the Great...!!!

That combo against Gouveia is top 10 all time. Such precision execution.

I know many on these forums don’t remember Marquardt when he was elite, but he had some vicious finishes to many legit fighters to his credit. I was always a fan because he reminded me of my big GI Joe doll from the 70’s when I was a kiddo. He was an old school fighter who let his work in the cage speak for itself. He had 56 pro fights with 28 between UFC and SF, never turned down or Cherri-picked opponents and win, lose, or draw always presented himself as a true martial artist should (humble/respectful/grateful)
He was usually exciting to watch and would often smash muther fuggers and add to his HL reel

While I’m at it here are his top finishes, Nate was savage.

marquardt-ko-woodley-gif.gif

2vmj950.jpg

marquardt_27s_20spectactular_20finish_medium.gif

giphy-downsized-large.gif

903v5v.gif

Nate+Marquardt+Armbars+James+Te+Huna+UFC+Fight+Night+Auckland.gif

OffbeatBlindGroundhog.gif

ykqyd.gif

Renzo_27s_shoe_cleaner.gif

16324.2.jpg

jakks-nate-marquardt.jpg

Yes he’s been on the opposite end of some HL reel KO’s and I’m sure in Sherdog fashion those will be posted shortly below. He also screwed the pooch a few times like the AJ fight and his subsequent release. However he did his time in the feeder orgs and gave us that gem Woodley smashing and made it back to the big show. It that was a different era in MMA to all you zero-defect SJW’s who will claim he was a cheat, everyone was a cheat in that era, even allegedly Bisping...

War Nate the Great...!!!
Yeah because steroids are cool bro

Thought this thread was about Nate Diaz. Already had a gif and a witty comment ready to derail it. Left disappointed.

Gotta admire that he doesn’t follow up with any unnecessary punches when his opponents are out. It’s apparent in like 4 gifs in the OP. He even had his own version of the hammerfist of doom on CB.

I always liked Nate.

Okami is elite then. Beat prime Hector, prime Marquardt, and prime Munoz.

Remember the Pancrase days when he was pretty much just a grappler? Gradually he started knocking guys out as well

When he joined with the UFC he was still primarily a grappler

Thought this thread was about Nate Diaz. Already had a gif and a witty comment ready to derail it. Left disappointed.
exactly, TS you do realize that 'nate' in a thread title is generally going to be interpreted as referring to a different guy?

Okami was a beast.
he was definitely top tier. i remember being pretty impressed when he gave franklin all he could handle, back when ace was the man (they even gave him a main event there).

he was definitely top tier. i remember being pretty impressed when he gave franklin all he could handle, back when ace was the man (they even gave him a main event there).

I believe that was a title eliminator fight, yea?
Definitely one of the best Asian fighters ever in the UFC. He had a really solid run around 2006-2010.

I believe that was a title eliminator fight, yea?
Definitely one of the best Asian fighters ever in the UFC. He had a really solid run around 2006-2010.
yeah I think it was. people gave him a good shot to win that fight too IIRC. strong as hell, great grappling, if he had picked up a little more striking he could have grabbed a belt.

Back