Who is your personal boxing hero?...not just inside also outside the ring?

I doubt you'd say that to his face
Why do people keep referring to Rachel cordingly as he?

And no, I'd prefer not to get my arse kicked by one of my favourite fighters.

Muhammad Ali, Mike Tyson, Lucia Rijker

2hd5ySz.jpg

Rijker and Ali way back when

Last edited:
How often do fights take place at the playboy mansion?

Sergio Martinez is so sexy that it's heroic, and I have made a shrine to him in my home which I worship at daily

It is not really about what this fighter has accomplished inside the ring...but more for what he did outside.
Like giving back to the neighbourhood, charity, helping...or even more...just an all out classy guy...

A good example right here:
Corrie Sanders...jumped between bullets and his daughter to protect her...and gave his life for hers...

Just say who and what he did...
id' forgotten corrie did that, it's sad that we live in such a violent world where people do stupid shit over stupid shit. Vernon Forrest was also one of the true good guys of the sport, gunned down by idiots. My biggest boxing hero is Ali inside and outside the ring. Never will be another like him as he was too eager to tell us. Bigger than life man with bigger than life character, seemed predestined to be exactly what he was, one of the most famous men on earth.

Thats pretty much what I told him.
Like Ali said, why on earth would he fight a war to come back to his own country and get treated like a 2nd class citizen. Why would he go kill innocent people just to please his oppressors. My grandfather was a veteran and my uncle is a Vietnam Vet, and I still agree with Ali.
it'll never end, to some Ali will always be a no good draft dodger, you cannot please everyone, no one can. I always tell my friends that when they come a crying that so and so doesn't like them. that's the way of the world baby.

Thought the whole world felt that way too. Up until my first day of college. Got into a huge argument with this army ROTC student. Called Ali a traitor and draft dodger. Said his whole family and in his neck of the woods he was a villain and hated. Opened my eyes to a lot of things.
you too? I didn't realize how hated ali was until the advent of the internet. But, I grew up, inner city, all around Black folks, he was their hero, and he was mine too. I always thought of him that way, then, about 20 years ago, i was rambling on about my idol and a bunch a trolls raised all kinds of hell about every little thing ali ever did wrong except getting a parking ticket, that's when i learned that he was not universally adored, but as i've said, no one is. Name me one heroic figure and i'll find someone who's saying they are evil and despicable.

Ali. By far. In the ring and outside it more so.
Was willing to be jailed for what he believed in. Stood up to a nation. Didnt care how hated he was. He was going to speak his mind and be proud.
I didn't like his Nation of Isam separatist/racist views on whites. But that was early on in his younger days. Its funny because he now has half white grand kids. Lol

i remember having a good chuckle with my old mentor about Ali having a daughter marrying a white man, funny thing is, by that point in Ali's life, i doubt he really even cared, he'd matured and evolved a lot.

I think—once you're over about eight years old—having a "hero" is a bit fuckin' pathetic.

Raising real people—with all their foibles, flaws, wens & warts—up on a pedestal as some ideal to aspire to/live by is not something an emotionally mature person should be doing, IMO. Particularly not a group of people who spend their time getting punched in the face with regularity.

If you must indulge in this sort of practice, you're probably better off finding someone in your community who helps others/does selfless work with those less advantaged than themselves.

Or, more eloquently:

oh you're fucked up

you too? I didn't realize how hated ali was until the advent of the internet. But, I grew up, inner city, all around Black folks, he was their hero, and he was mine too. I always thought of him that way, then, about 20 years ago, i was rambling on about my idol and a bunch a trolls raised all kinds of hell about every little thing ali ever did wrong except getting a parking ticket, that's when i learned that he was not universally adored, but as i've said, no one is. Name me one heroic figure and i'll find someone who's saying they are evil and despicable.

He's universally adored in Britain and probably most of the rest of the world. Sad that the only hate he seems to get is in the country he was born in and represented! Everybody has flaws, but his talent, charisma and ethics far outweigh any perceived negative about him!
He was voted as the greatest sportsman of the 20th century by us brits, which is unusual as we pretty much always support our own.

I'm in my 30's so none. People suck and will disappoint you. No sense in having heroes.

There's a good quote from Bob's Burgers where the title character's hero is a baseball player his same age. After being a disappointment, the player tells him "pick a hero who's a lot older than you, that way they're dead when you grow up." I always thought that was some pretty good insight from a silly cartoon.

We don't know any of these guys, we may have read some articles biased one way or another but in reality have no clue concerning their attitude or motivations. I like the fighters I like because I enjoy the way they fight.

Ray Leonard
Errol Christie
Donald Curry
Terry Norris
Mike Tyson
Arturo Gatti
MAB
Eric Morales
Miguel Cotto
Pacman

hmmm not sure. max schmeiling seems pretty admirable. hw champ of the world, lived in nazi germany but still helped save some jewish people, after learning of joe louis' hard times he befriended him and tried to help him out financially. pretty cool.

right now watching guys like inoue and lomachenko and how they train really motivates me to train everyday

I'm in my 30's so none. People suck and will disappoint you. No sense in having heroes.

There's a good quote from Bob's Burgers where the title character's hero is a baseball player his same age. After being a disappointment, the player tells him "pick a hero who's a lot older than you, that way they're dead when you grow up." I always thought that was some pretty good insight from a silly cartoon.
generally speaking, ya, i learned this lesson many times over, so, i always say I don't believe in heroes as such. I still really do admire many different men in many different fields. I don't look for saints anymore because they don't exist. I remind myself of this anytime I like what some guy has to say or what have you. People will definitely let you down, if you raise the bar too high, like I'm sometimes in danger of doing, you wouldn't have any human beings around you at all.

hmmm not sure. max schmeiling seems pretty admirable. hw champ of the world, lived in nazi germany but still helped save some jewish people, after learning of joe louis' hard times he befriended him and tried to help him out financially. pretty cool.

right now watching guys like inoue and lomachenko and how they train really motivates me to train everyday
ya, most boxers are wonderful guys with big hearts, they really are. I just was watching a Paul Gonzalez interview that was recent, he was training young fighters and giving of himself in that way. I think Stallone really hit upon a true archetype with the rocky character, the big hearted bruiser with the heart of gold, it's not uncommon for boxers. So, there are many, many fighters who are admirable and for different reasons too.

Last edited:
We don't know any of these guys, we may have read some articles biased one way or another but in reality have no clue concerning their attitude or motivations. I like the fighters I like because I enjoy the way they fight.

Ray Leonard
Errol Christie
Donald Curry
Terry Norris
Mike Tyson
Arturo Gatti
MAB
Eric Morales
Miguel Cotto
Pacman

I think if you read enough articles for long enough, watch them long enough, study them long enough you can get a good picture of who they are. Writers who write about fighters are no different than anyone else, they can have biases and axes to grind so every great man I've studied has diametrically opposing bios out there. Even Ali and his stand against the war, there was a book (Sound and Fury) that's premise was that ali was really a coward who was a puppet for the NOI, and it had some compelling evidence, so much so that i sent an email to robert lipsyte, long time ali chronicler asking about the author, he told me the author was trustworthy. But then, I remember how Ali once told Robert Lipsyte how he was white and he wasn't to be trusted. So maybe robert was still pissed about that, who the hell knows. Either way, Ali had many, many great qualities that have meaning to me. I don't worry about the people that hate him.

Meh, I watch boxing for the fights. I really don't think on fighters when they aren't fighting.

Strange response. It's like saying you don't like vegetables in a thread asking for your favorite vegetable.

Back