Who is the most overrated fighter in MMA history?

Ronda is, in the sense that people entertained the idea of her beating all sorts of people and she was regarded as unbeatable (almost nobody picked Holm to beat her, well done if you were one of the) when she was very good at just a couple of things.

Maybe Royce Gracie. He is a historic figure, there's no taking that away from him. But supposedly there were other Gracies who were better than him at the time. The Gracie family created the first UFC to be a showcase for BJJ, and they chose Royce to represent them because he was so small and physically mediocre, which would make BJJ seem that much more impressive when he inevitably tapped out much larger men who had no submission defense. They say that Rickson was much better.

Nick Diaz.
Nate Diaz.
Cerrone.
Khabib.
Mousasi.

Pick one.
Nick Diaz
Ceroone to an extent
Khabib is good, but still needs a bit more tests imo
Mousasi is also good, but his half his fans super overrate him. Lets see how he does against the top guys at middleweight

Tell me why Vitor or Weidman are overrated. I don't think either are. Ronda, definitely up there.
It was the premature perception of Weidman, and the overrated career of Vitor.

I'm not for one second saying that TRT completely nullifies your career or your wins, because I don't hold everyone to the same standard. My issue comes in when you clearly look one way, and then you start openly having TRT and then almost overnight become the most dangerous fighter in the world.

Look at Dan Henderson for example, with or without TRT, always an elite fighter who was fighting and beating some of the best in the world. You look at him post and pre TRT and he looked in good shape as well as being a great performer in the cage.

Vitor Belfort on the other hand, came in at 19 looking like the hulk (which was pretty suspect) - blasted through bums, and even had the UFC calling him a former Heavyweight champion for years. They recently (last 5 years or so) have stopped that sort of promotion, but I can cross my heart and hope to die that Vitor used to be described as a former Light Heavyweight and Heavyweight champion. Pretty sure it was in the build-up to the Silva fight, where they were acting like he could be the first to be World Champion in 3 divisions. That man was never a Heavyweight champion, period.

He then goes on a muddled run through UFC and PRIDE where his best wins were Herring, Yvel and a pretty bogus win over Randy, which Randy avenged within 6 months and brutally stopped Belfort in the rematch. His next win of relevance was Matt Lindland, a considerably smaller Middleweight, good win, but still not setting the resume alight.

Upon his return to the UFC he had wins over an aging Franklin, still a great win and Sexyama (oh please). Since then he was wasted by Jones and Silva, and then he all of a sudden becomes a cyborg overnight and is throwing head kicks from hell and wheel kicks from heaven - I'm calling bullshit on that run, it was so manufactured by PEDs it's unbelievable.

Oh, and then he comes off PEDs, and all of a sudden his black belt in BJJ becomes a belt you find in your happy meal. Mounted and demolished in 3 fights, in quick succession.

Losses to all the big-boys, other than his PED driven streak - FACTS.

Mousasi
Souza
Weidman
Jones
Silva
Henderson
Overeem x2
Ortiz
Couture x2
Liddell
Sakuraba

Chris Weidman, why is he overrated? Well here we go:

Weidman is a top fighter, there is no denying that, but his resume is ridiculously small.

He is spoken about like he's a dead-cert, elite level fighter who was the future of the division and of the sport. Everything from his cheesy push as an American hero type, to his bogus wins over Anderson just put him on this ridiculously high pedestal, way before it was deserved and earned.

It's not his fault that Silva goofed around and presented his chin on a platter, not Chris' fault for taking the opportunity and KO'ing him. Unfortunately for Chris though, it's just tainted. He didn't go out there and dominate Anderson and win with a clear-cut victory, he caught the master of taunting with a punch and put him out. If you watch the fight closely you can see the tide is turning and Chris' first round momentum is dying, he's getting slower and is eating heavy kicks from Anderson - that fight is only going one way and that is a late Anderson stoppage or 49-46. Weidman in a way, got lucky.

Now you flip it on it's head and Chris in my opinion was well on the way to victory in the second fight. He was all over Anderson, and might have actually finished him in that fight, but once again (not his fault) but a freak accident happens and it's all over. He then has 2 wins over the arguable GOAT and neither of them really felt totally legit.

His win over Machida was legit, and I'm not willing to accept the narrative of Weidman haters, who claim Lyoto was "old". He was on fire leading up to that fight, so I will not accept that. That by far was Chris' best win, he out-struck Machida for 25 minutes and also fought through adversity in the 4th round, great win. The Vitor win wasn't great for the resume, because not only did he actually get blasted and almost finished against the cage, he fought a deflated and old Vitor who was off PEDs - that wasn't the same Vitor we grew to fear.

Immediately after that run, he has 2 fairly competitive fights with Luke and Yoel - but ends up a mess by the end of both bouts - 2 of the most brutal finishes I've witnessed in the sport.

So yeah - hope that wasn't too long winded ;)

He survived in the UFC because he was an exciting fighter where as Fitch and Shield's were basically sleeping aides.

If I remember correctly Hardy became 5-0 with the win over swick, who was set for a title shot himself if he beat Hardy.

There's been plenty worse title shots given.
If you think this run of wins deserves a title shot, I'm not sure we can talk MMA.

Manuel Garcia
Chad Reiner
Daniel Weichel
Akihiro Gono
Rory Markham
Marcus Davis
Mike Swick

2 of these were Split Decisions matey, and not one of these fighters are a Alves, Hughes, Fitch, Koscheck level fighter either, not even a Martin Kampmann type in there.

Fair play to him, his last loss before that was a DQ by accidental groin strike against Yoshida, and before that he was on another 5 win streak - so he was essentially 12-1 (with a BS loss). Which is a fantastic run, I will never deny that, but you're fighting a bunch of dudes with no Wikipedia pages and some top 15 guys like Davis and Swick.

Just not good enough.

I'm not for one second saying that TRT completely nullifies your career or your wins, because I don't hold everyone to the same standard. My issue comes in when you clearly look one way, and then you start openly having TRT and then almost overnight become the most dangerous fighter in the world.

Look at Dan Henderson for example, with or without TRT, always an elite fighter who was fighting and beating some of the best in the world. You look at him post and pre TRT and he looked in good shape as well as being a great performer in the cage.

Vitor Belfort on the other hand, came in at 19 looking like the hulk (which was pretty suspect) - blasted through bums, and even had the UFC calling him a former Heavyweight champion for years. They recently (last 5 years or so) have stopped that sort of promotion, but I can cross my heart and hope to die that Vitor used to be described as a former Light Heavyweight and Heavyweight champion. Pretty sure it was in the build-up to the Silva fight, where they were acting like he could be the first to be World Champion in 3 divisions. That man was never a Heavyweight champion, period.

He then goes on a muddled run through UFC and PRIDE where his best wins were Herring, Yvel and a pretty bogus win over Randy, which Randy avenged within 6 months and brutally stopped Belfort in the rematch. His next win of relevance was Matt Lindland, a considerably smaller Middleweight, good win, but still not setting the resume alight.

Upon his return to the UFC he had wins over an aging Franklin, still a great win and Sexyama (oh please). Since then he was wasted by Jones and Silva, and then he all of a sudden becomes a cyborg overnight and is throwing head kicks from hell and wheel kicks from heaven - I'm calling bullshit on that run, it was so manufactured by PEDs it's unbelievable.

Oh, and then he comes off PEDs, and all of a sudden his black belt in BJJ becomes a belt you find in your happy meal. Mounted and demolished in 3 fights, in quick succession.

Mousasi
Souza
Weidman
Jones
Silva
Henderson
Overeem x2
Ortiz
Couture x2
Liddell
Sakuraba

Weidman is a top fighter, there is no denying that, but his resume is ridiculously small.

He is spoken about like he's a dead-cert, elite level fighter who was the future of the division and of the sport. Everything from his cheesy push as an American hero type, to his bogus wins over Anderson just put him on this ridiculously high pedestal, way before it was deserved and earned.

It's not his fault that Silva goofed around and presented his chin on a platter, not Chris' fault for taking the opportunity and KO'ing him. Unfortunately for Chris though, it's just tainted. He didn't go out there and dominate Anderson and win with a clear-cut victory, he caught the master of taunting with a punch and put him out. If you watch the fight closely you can see the tide is turning and Chris' first round momentum is dying, he's getting slower and is eating heavy kicks from Anderson - that fight is only going one way and that is a late Anderson stoppage or 49-46. Weidman in a way, got lucky.

Now you flip it on it's head and Chris in my opinion was well on the way to victory in the second fight. He was all over Anderson, and might have actually finished him in that fight, but once again (not his fault) but a freak accident happens and it's all over. He then has 2 wins over the arguable GOAT and neither of them really felt totally legit.

His win over Machida was legit, and I'm not willing to accept the narrative of Weidman haters, who claim Lyoto was "old". He was on fire leading up to that fight, so I will not accept that. That by far was Chris' best win, he out-struck Machida for 25 minutes and also fought through adversity in the 4th round, great win. The Vitor win wasn't great for the resume, because not only did he actually get blasted and almost finished against the cage, he fought a deflated and old Vitor who was off PEDs - that wasn't the same Vitor we grew to fear.

Immediately after that run, he has 2 fairly competitive fights with Luke and Yoel - but ends up a mess by the end of both bouts - 2 of the most brutal finishes I've witnessed in the sport.

I can wholeheartedly agree with the assessment of Vitor. I can't agree with the assessment of Weidman, especially the first fight with Silva. Your opinion that Silva was going to win the first fight before getting brutally knocked out, is just that, your opinion and has nothing of facts to back that up.

For all we know, Weidman beats non-clowning Anderson by decision, possibly a sub too.

If you think this run of wins deserves a title shot, I'm not sure we can talk MMA.

Manuel Garcia
Chad Reiner
Daniel Weichel
Akihiro Gono
Rory Markham
Marcus Davis
Mike Swick

2 of these were Split Decisions matey, and not one of these fighters are a Alves, Hughes, Fitch, Koscheck level fighter either, not even a Martin Kampmann type in there.

Fair play to him, his last loss before that was a DQ by accidental groin strike against Yoshida, and before that he was on another 5 win streak - so he was essentially 12-1 (with a BS loss). Which is a fantastic run, I will never deny that, but you're fighting a bunch of dudes with no Wikipedia pages and some top 15 guys like Davis and Swick.

Just not good enough.
At the time Dan got his shot, GSP had effectively cleared out the division, it was Hardy or rematches against people like Fitch or Koscheck.

Mousasi
Souza
Weidman
Jones
Silva
Henderson
Overeem x2
Ortiz
Couture x2
Liddell
Sakuraba

Wow cant believe u typed all of that

Yeah, Condit fought so safe against Lawler and GSP.

Sigh.

Carlos had them both hurt but then Masvidal'd and lost the decision. Instead of turning it up he went back to the safety of kicking air and moving backwards.

Carlos had them both hurt but then Masvidal'd and lost the decision. Instead of turning it up he went back to the safety of kicking air and moving backwards.
Condit was stifled by GSP. He wasn't moving backward except when pressured.

Against Lawler, Condit was the aggressor almost the entire fight. He hurt Lawler but couldn't finish and then Lawler turned it on late. Condit literally won about 20 minutes of that fight.

Last edited:
I agree with all of that.

With that being said, he doesn't deserve praise over the likes of GSP, who fought legit competition HIS ENTIRE CAREER. Jon Jones, who really doesn't need much explanation.

Well, I think that is debatable. GSP probably has a better GOAT claim, I won't really argue with you there. But it should also be noted how Fedor was actually the smaller man in probably 85% of his fighters. As for JBJ, I really don't know what to do with him, the PED scandal makes me question his entire career. The "tainted supp" excuse is sketchy to say the least.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back