Who is the most overrated fighter in MMA history?

Ronda hands down. She had people saying she was gonna go dominate boxing and beat up men (Lmao). Then, despite being unattractive, having no charisma, and no ability to act, she was going to take Hollywood by storm. The story of Ronda Ronda rousey is going to be a textbook example of how powerful the media is and a lesson in journalism ethics.

Definitely Fitch

He was routinely mentioned as a top 10 best p4p fighter in the world and he yet didn't have any big wins.

People would say that he would destroy all other WW not named GSP, yet he never really fought any of them. His biggest wins in the UFC are Alves x2 and Diego Sanchez. And to be honest I had Diego winning the fight and the Alves fights weren't super impressive either as Alves was super green the first fight and coming off a year+ layoff with brain surgery in the second fight. Also Alves isn't even in the top 30 best WW of all time yet it's considered amazing wins.

Let's face it Fitch was always just fodder to Hype GSP, that's why most of the people who liked Fitch were first and foremost GSP fans. They liked fitch because he was a highlight generating punching bag for GSP and without that fight, GSPs highlights get a lot more boring.

Hands down, Rousey.

Everyone she stomped was pretty dogshit because WMMA wasn't particularly any good until more recently, and even then there's still only a few good fighters as the list is in it's growing phase.

No-one else in the history of earth has suddenly gone from "A once ever" to getting BTFO twice in a combined 6m47s.

Going by the term "over-rated", it's not even a contest.

01-Jared-Boom-Done.gif

No, but Fedor's fall sure as looked pretty damn similar.
I get that he was ready to retire before he even got into StrikeForce (and was vocal about doing so), but damn, his fall was hard to watch.

Nick Diaz. And it isn't even close.

I'm a big Diaz fan also, I love their styles and watching them fight. But it cannot be denied that Nick Diaz doesn't have a single Top 5 win. And he is looked at as a legend of the sport and one of the best in the world.
He also lost to damn near every LW he fought too, besides Gomi.
So many people are fans of Diaz's style and attitude, but the results he got with it were nothing special.

The Greatest human being to have ever lived. Ronda "greatest ever, once ever in human history, freak of existence" Rousey. Hands down.

I'm gonna get mad hate, but Fedor.

Fought cans his whole career, sprinkled with a few good fighters, and he's declared the goat...

I'm gonna get mad hate, but Fedor.

Fought cans his whole career, sprinkled with a few good fighters, and he's declared the goat...

Considering the biggest argument against Fedor is that he wasn't in the UFC, yet he is 7-1 against UFC HW champions. Throw in prime Cro Cop, prime Big Nog x2, Hunt, along with other solid fighters like Herring, Lindland, Arona, Schilt, Goodridge, etc. Anyone who says his record is filled with cans is just uninformed. Sure there were some stupid fights like Zuluzinho and Choi Hong-Man. But he has fought enough stiff competition to forget those, whom he wrecked anyway.

The guy got a title shot by beating Mike Swick.

Is still under contract with the UFC even though he lost 4 in a row, Jake Shields and Jon Fitch were cut in a flash.

Dan Hardy was always pitched as this vaunted striker. He was always pretty average.
He survived in the UFC because he was an exciting fighter where as Fitch and Shield's were basically sleeping aides.

If I remember correctly Hardy became 5-0 with the win over swick, who was set for a title shot himself if he beat Hardy.

There's been plenty worse title shots given.

I'm going to go with Jon Fitch.
Due to bad matchmaking, everyone decided he was the #2 WW for years, and some even put him Top 10 P4P.

How do you put Shogun on the list? He has KO/TKO victories over Machida, Forrest, Liddell, Coleman, Overeem, Rampage, and Arona, subbed Randleman, beat Lil Nog twice.
\Maybe he was once good but a loss to Sonnen? I forgot Fedor who is clearly at the top of the list for dodging ufc and Reem twice + decades of can crushing.

This has probably been a thread many times before - but hey, let's run it back!

I hope that I can add some additional criteria that's not always addressed.

I don't want people to just go by the simplicity of ranting about fighters they hate, I would like some structured breakdowns of what makes Fighter X, the most overrated fighter in MMA.

Is it the media's depiction of them? Is it a lackluster, yet hyped resume? Is it Sherdoggers' opinion of them?

I've still not decided on my pick yet, but there are some in the shortlist for sure:

Vitor Belfort, Ronda Rousey, Chris Weidman.

Let's hear yours, my fellow Sherdoggers!

The answer is Ken Shamrock.

It's a toss up between the Diaz bros, but I'd probably say Nick's been the more overrated one historically

Actually, I think it's quite the opposite - I think Nick's wins are underrated.

Look at a guy like Paul Daley. He's not exactly top tier, but that's not because of his striking. It's because all of his losses come from people wrestle-fucking him and being too scared to stand with him. Nick will fight someone at their strength and could've taken the easy way out. He did it against Lawler when Lawler was on a tear as an up and coming KO artist and Nick was just a BJJ guy. Same with the boxer Noons. He gogoplatad Gomi, etc.

Ya, he hasn't won in 5-6 years, but he was suspended (which was controversial), arguably beat Condit, and loss to the GOAT WW, and the GOAT MW - no shame in that. How many people have even beaten the GOATs?

As a Diaz fan, I understand the frustration with him turning down fights and getting busted, but the guy has been fighting for almost 20 years and actually comes to fight in all of his fights. He takes training very seriously and has never really had an off-season. I don't blame him for getting tired of being punched in the face.

Daley before the Diaz fight had won 8 out of 9 and the one loss was a number one contender fight to Koscheck. Literally one W away from coaching TUF and fighting GSP and people argue he wasnt ranked

Also, Gomi was top 3 p4p when Diaz beat him

Considering the biggest argument against Fedor is that he wasn't in the UFC, yet he is 7-1 against UFC HW champions. Throw in prime Cro Cop, prime Big Nog x2, Hunt, along with other solid fighters like Herring, Lindland, Arona, Schilt, Goodridge, etc. Anyone who says his record is filled with cans is just uninformed. Sure there were some stupid fights like Zuluzinho and Choi Hong-Man. But he has fought enough stiff competition to forget those, whom he wrecked anyway.

I agree with all of that.

With that being said, he doesn't deserve praise over the likes of GSP, who fought legit competition HIS ENTIRE CAREER. Jon Jones, who really doesn't need much explanation.

No, but Fedor's fall sure as looked pretty damn similar.
I get that he was ready to retire before he even got into StrikeForce (and was vocal about doing so), but damn, his fall was hard to watch.
It was but like you said, he was ready to retire and he had a long successful career prior to that fighting in multi-fight per day tournaments etc. He didn't just get banged out twice in a row whilst he was in his prime against fairly unheard of fighters. And most importantly, he wasn't a 5'6 female people were claiming could beat men and face Velasquez.

I'll throw out some big names that I feel are overrated

BJ Penn
Rich Franklin
Nick Diaz

Back