Who is the most overrated fighter in MMA history?

Ronda Rousey just for the fact people were putting her and Mayweather in the same sentence

Rnd-Ken.gif

This has probably been a thread many times before - but hey, let's run it back!

I hope that I can add some additional criteria that's not always addressed.

I don't want people to just go by the simplicity of ranting about fighters they hate, I would like some structured breakdowns of what makes Fighter X, the most overrated fighter in MMA.

Is it the media's depiction of them? Is it a lackluster, yet hyped resume? Is it Sherdoggers' opinion of them?

I've still not decided on my pick yet, but there are some in the shortlist for sure:

Vitor Belfort, Ronda Rousey, Chris Weidman.

Let's hear yours, my fellow Sherdoggers!

1.Housey
2.Weidman

Other fighters have been hyped, but in no other cases has the hype been so disproportionate to their actual abilities & career accomplishments.

The definition of overrated is have a higher opinion of (someone or something) than is deserved.

Based on that definition it is someone like Mark Munoz, or Chris Weidman. People will always throw Ronda but at the time based on her competition she was much better than all of them. Weidman on the other hand won via KO, then by freak leg break, a non-TRT Vitor and a weak Lyoto before getting MURKED by Luke and Yoel. People were at one time saying he should move up and challenge Jones.... just not as good as people made him out to be at all and the competition at 185 is much more level than Ronda's.

Going with Munoz, not with Chris. Everybody agreed that Luke will be a huge challenge and Chris gave him and Yoel a good fight before getting clipped. Don't think he is overrated - rather underrated right now. Munow was never really good.

some in the shortlist for sure:

Wideman - uses face to defend GNP

RockH - glass jaw after the mighty Count left hook

Henderson - 9-10 UFC record + 0-4 in gift title shots

Sonnen - lol fight fix with Tito or so they say?

Rua - bar room brawler that should have retired

RR - uses face to defend punches and head kicks lol

Khabob - barrels forward with careless abandonment chin in the air while arm swinging punches like a plane.... about to get exposed by Tony.

GSP - dry humps his way to boring decision

Randy Couture - He got a lot of credit for being old. If he was 10 years younger people wouldn't have cared as much.

I'm not sure Hardy has ever really been rated highly enough to be called overrated....

I agree with this, WTF? Yeah he got a TS but at that point division was pretty cleaned by GSP

This has probably been a thread many times before - but hey, let's run it back!

I hope that I can add some additional criteria that's not always addressed.

I don't want people to just go by the simplicity of ranting about fighters they hate, I would like some structured breakdowns of what makes Fighter X, the most overrated fighter in MMA.

Is it the media's depiction of them? Is it a lackluster, yet hyped resume? Is it Sherdoggers' opinion of them?

I've still not decided on my pick yet, but there are some in the shortlist for sure:

Tell me why Vitor or Weidman are overrated. I don't think either are. Ronda, definitely up there.

Conor, easily. At least Ronda has the experience at a world class level competition in judo.

W
Carlos Condit

Has no trouble smashing middle and low-tier fighters but clams up and fights safe if it's for a title or title shot.

Watch some of his WEC defenses...
Hirumitza Mura is a favorite.. Brock Larson as well...

Not saying those guys are = to GSP, just that Carlos was a vicious champ in WEC

Yes, even though I don't care for Ronda, she was undefeated for years, held a UFC championship, and has an Olympic medal.

Nick hasn't done much other than get busted for pot several times, miss press conferences, skip grappling tournaments, complain about his losses, and turn down fights for the past 6 years.

I really do not understand what he has accomplished to have earned such a large fanbase.

Actually, I think it's quite the opposite - I think Nick's wins are underrated.

Look at a guy like Paul Daley. He's not exactly top tier, but that's not because of his striking. It's because all of his losses come from people wrestle-fucking him and being too scared to stand with him. Nick will fight someone at their strength and could've taken the easy way out. He did it against Lawler when Lawler was on a tear as an up and coming KO artist and Nick was just a BJJ guy. Same with the boxer Noons. He gogoplatad Gomi, etc.

Ya, he hasn't won in 5-6 years, but he was suspended (which was controversial), arguably beat Condit, and loss to the GOAT WW, and the GOAT MW - no shame in that. How many people have even beaten the GOATs?

As a Diaz fan, I understand the frustration with him turning down fights and getting busted, but the guy has been fighting for almost 20 years and actually comes to fight in all of his fights. He takes training very seriously and has never really had an off-season. I don't blame him for getting tired of being punched in the face.

Gotta be Rousey, right?

Not once in a lifetime, once EVER!!!

Not that she wasn't a dominant champ, but she had obvious flaws in her game that once she faced fighters who could expose them she didn't just lose, she got SMASHED.

Wideman - uses face to defend GNP

RockH - glass jaw after the mighty Count left hook

Henderson - 9-10 UFC record + 0-4 in gift title shots

Sonnen - lol fight fix with Tito or so they say?

Rua - bar room brawler that should have retired

RR - uses face to defend punches and head kicks lol

Khabob - barrels forward with careless abandonment chin in the air while arm swinging punches like a plane.... about to get exposed by Tony.

GSP - dry humps his way to boring decision
How do you put Shogun on the list? He has KO/TKO victories over Machida, Forrest, Liddell, Coleman, Overeem, Rampage, and Arona, subbed Randleman, beat Lil Nog twice.

As much of a fan that I am, I gotta go with Miguel Torres... Was considered top P4P Best and was in possible GOAT Talk in his WEC days... Then got much harder competition. And was out classed almost everywhere. Got put out on his feet, got out wrestled, and was submitted...It was a harsh fall from grace

Back