who is the hardest puncher in boxing history?

The 70s guys all say shavers, ingles boxing gym said nas hit harder than anyone including hws. The hawk obviously. Foreman koing foreman as if he was going to hand him a beer is a thing of beauty.

Foreman koing foreman as if he was going to hand him a beer is a thing of beauty.
Loved that fight.
I always wanted to see Foreman vs Foreman II but it never happened

P4P Julian Jackson still. These Super Heavyweights competing as Heavyweights today in pro boxing hit the hardest in general. That's common sense. Max Baer could hit pretty hard too. A little too hard when he was angry.

I saw Bailey fight Urango. The Great Clinton Woods - it was his last fight btw- was matched up with Tavoris Cloud on the same card for a175 lb title. Randell knocked Juan down with a right hand, it was the loudest punch of the night. The dude is a freak.

really don't think there is any way to name just one. the ones I think of (or am familiar with, because some of the old timers lew jenkins etc.., i never saw) Foreman, Louis,Shavers,Liston,Thomas Hearns, Julian Jackson,Edwin Rosario. Those guys were freaks, then, other guys have the reps like Cleveland Williams who George Foreman said was the hardest puncher he ever fought, (he couldn't have fought him though so he must have meant sparred). I kinda think Tysons's power was the result of his speed and skill although of course he hit pretty hard, I'm not sure if he's quite in the freak category, but maybe.

I thought for sure Tyson would have been on here repeatedly.

Overall Earnie Shavers just according to guys who actually foguht him. Obviously someone might have hit harder but the most proof points towards Shavers being the hardest hitter and it isn't really arguably.

P4p Golovkin, Julian Jackson, Marciano and a few others come to mind. There are also some less proven modern fighters who could be in the p4p argument but haven't proven anything against top competition like Kudryashov at CW and Beterbiev at LHW

Overall Earnie Shavers just according to guys who actually foguht him. Obviously someone might have hit harder but the most proof points towards Shavers being the hardest hitter and it isn't really arguably.

P4p Golovkin, Julian Jackson, Marciano and a few others come to mind. There are also some less proven modern fighters who could be in the p4p argument but haven't proven anything against top competition like Kudryashov at CW and Beterbiev at LHW
Golovkin doesn't belong there yet. Ketchel would have wiped GGG's teeth out of his gloves...:D

Golovkin doesn't belong there yet. Ketchel would have wiped GGG's teeth out of his gloves...:D

Yeah he isn't as proven but tbf Jackson didn't beat any great fighters either. He fought some good fighters though and certainly better fighters than Golovkin has fought so far and he wasn't a bad fighter by any means.

But Shavers wasn't an elite fighter either but he had elite power. Bonecrusher Smith hit harder than Tyson apparently. And recently travis Walker was a super hard hitting HW journeyman

If we're not talking p4p and just hardest punchers ever then it's obviously a hw. I would say Foreman imo but also Lennox deserves a mention here as well. Guy had a ton of leverage with his height/reach, guy hit like a truck.

Tyson was a freak but it wasn't just pure power, he had speed, precision, and combos to go with the power. Guys like Foreman and Lennox didn't have that freak athleticism that Tyson had, but they were big dudes who could drop a right hand w/o any set up and still put you out cold even when they weren't landing their best shots. That's pure power right there.

Yeah he isn't as proven but tbf Jackson didn't beat any great fighters either. He fought some good fighters though and certainly better fighters than Golovkin has fought so far and he wasn't a bad fighter by any means.

I'm not starting, but wish to point out (just in case humanity wipes itself out but the Internet is preserved, to be pondered over by the cockroach-people that come after us) that Jackson's KO over Norris is mega-leagues ahead of any Golovkin victory.

The big names have already been mentioned but I think Ray Robinson deserves a mention. He moved up in weight and fought a man who had never been knocked down. Not only did Ray knock him down but he also did it going backwards and Gene never got back up again.

Wladimir also deserves a mention. He's not an effective KO artist but in terms of pure power he's up there with the best.

Back