• Reese Witherspoon

• Sigourney Weaver

• Michelle Pfeiffer

• Nicole Kidman

• Jamie Lee Curtis

Results are only viewable after voting.
G

Guestx

Well I suppose if we're going to do the greatest male movie star, then it only makes sense to also tackle the greatest female movie star.

The premise is the same: We're not talking the greatest ACTOR here, but the greatest MOVIE STAR. So consider factors beyond acting talent, like box office success, longevity, the quantity of great films they can lay claim to, etc.

Something tells me this one might be distinctly harder than its male counterpart.

your gonna have to take out streep,foster,weaver and curtis,they all made it in the 70s.

I cant wait for the next thread

Who is the greatest midget actor from 1980 to the present
Who is the greatest midget actress from 1980 to the present
who is the greatest black actor from 1980 to the present
who is the greatest black actress from 1980 to the present
who is the greatest actor over 6 feet tall from 1980 to the present
who is the greatest child actor from 1980 to the present

I'd give it to Streep overall. She's prolific, has good acting chops, and is still going even now. I think she's a bit overrated, but she is a pretty solid package all around.

My second pick would be either Julia Roberts or, as much as I hate to say it, Jennifer Lawrence. They don't get it because Roberts doesn't have a great range, I find, and she's tapered off a lot. Lawrence is new, but aside from being a public figure who makes me want to upchuck, she has a good range of appearances and puts in decent roles in a pretty wide range of things. Needs to keep it up for a few more years - and maybe shut her mouth off screen a bit more.

your gonna have to take out streep,foster,weaver and curtis,they all made it in the 70s.

They made movies in the 70s, but I don't think you can say they MADE IT in the 70s.

Their careers all really came to fruition in the 80s.

I'd give it to Streep overall. She's prolific, has good acting chops, and is still going even now. I think she's a bit overrated, but she is a pretty solid package all around.

I do think that if there is any obvious front runner then it's Meryl Streep. She's done great work all her career, continues to be popular and successful, and has like a thousand Oscars.

My second pick would be either Julia Roberts or, as much as I hate to say it, Jennifer Lawrence. They don't get it because Roberts doesn't have a great range, I find, and she's tapered off a lot. Lawrence is new, but aside from being a public figure who makes me want to upchuck, she has a good range of appearances and puts in decent roles in a pretty wide range of things. Needs to keep it up for a few more years - and maybe shut her mouth off screen a bit more.

I included Jennifer Lawrence because I wanted to at least give the newest generation a chance to compete, but frankly I think she is just too new to warrant any votes here. If I were going to give it to an actress who came onto the scene a little later than some of the other contenders, it would have to be Scar-Jo.

But I actually think I'm going to give my vote to Sandra Bullock. She may have only broken out in the mid-90s, but she has proven to be an enormously popular money-maker with real talent who continues to do good work today. I WOULD like to see a bit more range from her. Too much of her career has been spent playing the love interest in films. But she has also impressed me very much with her acting abilities in films like The Blind Side and Gravity, and if you need her to do comedy, no problem, Miss Congeniality was very entertaining.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to go Weaver. I think maybe Jolie and Johansson behind her. I wouldn't say she should win but seven Harry Potter movies sure do a lot for Emma Watson's star power. Also maybe not the best actress but I think Jennifer Aniston is more beloved than a lot of that list.

Meryl Streel is the greatest female actress and quite possibly one of the best actors of all time.

She's better than almost every man as well

Indeed, women acting? what a strange minority subject to start a thread on!

Dems are fighting words here. TS you best take care of this.

I picked Angelina due to her being a great actress, and being in movies like Kung fu panda, Maleficient, mr and mrs smith and many more.

Went Cate. She is solid in everything and in a variety of roles.

As much as I dislike her, out of that list it has to be Streep. And to be honest, if we're going back through the '80s that list is severely lacking. Way too many younger ladies.

I do think that if there is any obvious front runner then it's Meryl Streep. She's done great work all her career, continues to be popular and successful, and has like a thousand Oscars.

I included Jennifer Lawrence because I wanted to at least give the newest generation a chance to compete, but frankly I think she is just too new to warrant any votes here. If I were going to give it to an actress who came onto the scene a little later than some of the other contenders, it would have to be Scar-Jo.

But I actually think I'm going to give my vote to Sandra Bullock. She may have only broken out in the mid-90s, but she has proven to be an enormously popular money-maker with real talent who continues to do good work today. I WOULD like to see a bit more range from here. Too much of her career has been spent playing the love interest in films. But she has also impressed me very much with her acting abilities in films like The Blind Side and Gravity, and if you need her to do comedy, no problem, Miss Congeniality was very entertaining.

I considered Bullock but counted her out because of lack of dramatic range - but then again, I still haven't seen either Blind Side or Gravity. I guess I should get on that. Without those, I see her as being in Roberts' shadow - two women gobbling up big roles, but Roberts grabbing the bigger. I guess I should give Bullock another chance since I haven't been following her for a number of years... Without seeing more of Bullocks' range though, I just see her as being one of the women in Roberts' shadows when they were both riding high in the 90's.

I do agree about Lawrence though - too young. She's done plenty of action and done it reasonably well, she has some drama under her belt (Silver Linings Playbook) which I thought was solid... Not sure about her in a comedy though - I'm hardly an aficionado. I've just seen her perform well in a few types of movies and that gets big points in a "The best" category for me. But yeah, too young.

But yeah, Streep is almost a gimme. Personal preference may push people in other directions, but if you take a step back, she's done more, she's done it better, and she's done it longer than most people on the list. The #2 spot is the more interesting in my eyes.

I was thinking more best supporting male and female but Andre better be getting an award for princess bride damn it.
I couldn't even tell you what the last thing was I saw her in. It's definitely been a while.
We're the Millers and Horrible bosses I think for me. I don't really like her films but a lot of people do. <Fedor23>

Dinklage
Rhea Perlman
Denzel
Whoopi
Denzel