Who Is The Biggest Guitar Hero Of This Era?

Well we lost a great one today. Larry Coryell Dead at 73. Fuck.

Allan Holdsworth Dead at 70 today. This year is not being kind to prog rock. Fuck. Dude was incredible.

The 60's had Clapton Page, Beck, and Hendrix. The 70's had still had Clapton, beck and Page, but also David Gilmour, Ritchie Blackmore and then Eddie Van Halen took rock guitar to a new level.

The 80's had Van Halen, Randy Rhoads, Yngwie Malmsteen, Steve Vai, and Joe Satriani and they were guitar heroes into the 90's as well.

Who today (someone who is relatively new, someone who debuted in the last 15 years) has the stature of a Hendrix, Page, Blackmore, Van Halen, Rhoads, Or Malmsteen?
Zack Wylde

I think the big difference now is that, thanks to Youtube, we are completely overwhelmed with uber talented musicians on YouTube and social media so it's much less special than when Jimi was playing the Star Spangled Banner at Woodstock, or you were getting a bootleg tape of Malmsteen or some other shred god burning fretboards.

I think in terms of recent (last 20 years) guitar heroes, you have to bring up Buckethead. In the 90's, Shawn Lane was a guitar demigod. Then you've got guys like Zakk Wylde.

Even a guy like Jon Gomm has to be respected for his creativeness and artistry on the acoustic.

Buckethead has released 27 albums since this thread started.

John Mayer, for real. Saw him live back in 2006 and was blown away, guy is legit.
Wow...came here to say exactly this. People laugh when I say Mayer is an amazing musician, but he really is. Dude has gotten the blessing from Clapton himself, toured with The Grateful Dead, and knows how play Hendrix and SRV. Dude is an amazing guitarist.

I'm seeing him in Vegas on Saturday. This will be my second Mayer show. I'm stoked.

Wow...came here to say exactly this. People laugh when I say Mayer is an amazing musician, but he really is. Dude has gotten the blessing from Clapton himself, toured with The Grateful Dead, and knows how play Hendrix and SRV. Dude is an amazing guitarist.

I'm seeing him in Vegas on Saturday. This will be my second Mayer show. I'm stoked.

Yeah when he played he could have been Clapton or Vaughn... i was very impressed... Outdoor concert too, Cheryl Crow performed but ehhh not a fan...

The 60's had Clapton Page, Beck, and Hendrix. The 70's had still had Clapton, beck and Page, but also David Gilmour, Ritchie Blackmore and then Eddie Van Halen took rock guitar to a new level.

The 80's had Van Halen, Randy Rhoads, Yngwie Malmsteen, Steve Vai, and Joe Satriani and they were guitar heroes into the 90's as well.

Who today (someone who is relatively new, someone who debuted in the last 15 years) has the stature of a Hendrix, Page, Blackmore, Van Halen, Rhoads, Or Malmsteen?
I am disappointed by the lack of Brian May in your post. Maybe not as technical as some of those other guys but damn you if you don't get goosebumps from his Queen tracks!

New guitar hero music is dead. John Mayer sucks can't compare to the talented legends. The hit and hip records of today are all hip hop.

A couple of select buckethead jams.

funky

soloing that tells a story.

slow blues

Live.....he only played this one time.

Allan Holdsworth Dead at 70 today. This year is not being kind to prog rock. Fuck. Dude was incredible.
Huh, I didn't hear about this one. RIP.

i'm not crazy knowledgeable about the specifics of correct guitar technique, but i always thought my dude Ben Lacy was mad legit for a relatively unknown guy

New guitar hero music is dead. John Mayer sucks can't compare to the talented legends. The hit and hip records of today are all hip hop.

<TrumpWrong1>

Just got back from his Vegas show. Not only is John Mayer probably the best singer/songerwriter/guitarist of his generation, he also surrounds himself with incredibly talented artist. Steve Jordan, Pino Pallindino, David Ryan Harris just to name a few.

Funny how you say he can't compare to the legends when he's been blessed by Clapton and he did Hendrix tonight at the show...

If you don't know about the dude, just say you don't know. But don't go with the popular answer and say "well he sucks."

He plays like a bedroom guitarist with 2 years experience. Every schmuck can play / imitate some hendrix. You're just clueless and a slave to marketing.
Just got back from his Vegas show. Not only is John Mayer probably the best singer/songerwriter/guitarist of his generation, he also surrounds himself with incredibly talented artist. Steve Jordan, Pino Pallindino, David Ryan Harris just to name a few.

Funny how you say he can't compare to the legends when he's been blessed by Clapton and he did Hendrix tonight at the show...

If you don't know about the dude, just say you don't know. But don't go with the popular answer and say "well he sucks."

Matt Bellamy deserves mention.

Back