Who Is The Biggest Guitar Hero Of This Era?

John Petrucci

I know it's probably not a popular answer with the music snobs because of how mainstream a7x is and how lifeless their music has become, but I like synyster gates' style a lot and he has an extremely recognizable sound. listening to him and zacky play together reminds me of iron maiden's dual guitars sometimes.

John Petrucci

I know it's probably not a popular answer with the music snobs because of how mainstream a7x is and how lifeless their music has become, but I like synyster gates' style a lot and he has an extremely recognizable sound. listening to him and zacky play together reminds me of iron maiden's dual guitars sometimes.
One of the most technically proficient players of the generation.Killer chops without a doubt.Absolutely one of the tightest bands live i've ever seen.Dream Theater is full of phenomenal musicians.That bass player man...wow!!

Matt Bellamy.

Up there with the best in technical terms, but he's out ahead in terms of creativity and the sheer amount of quality rock riffs he has written over the last 20 years. He's also an incredible live performer.

John Frusciante and John Mayer both still kill it regularly, also.

I am not very knowledgeable about great guitar players. and i honestly dont usually pay attention to it other than it blending into the song. however, i went to a Keith Urban concert a few weeks ago and couldnt help but notice how good he was. I am not sure if he is respected or not, but to me the guy sure could play

In terms of how famous and influencial they were I'd say...

60's - Jimi Hendrix and Eric Clapton
70's - Jimmy Page and David Gilmour
80's - Van Halen and Slash
90's - Kirk Hammett and John Squire

I don't think Jack white is a great player. His tone on seven nation army isnt particularly impressive and neither is his playing. That solo on seven nation arm sounds thin and scratchy. His slide playing is ok for an indie guy. THAT being said he's a pretty darn good song writer and writes heavy riffs.

Last edited:
I think you, isor and maybe a couple of others are touching on the real crux of the matter; Guys like Hendrix, Page, Clapton, EVH and the like were, in their time, the guys every kid picking up a guitar wanted to imitate. All of those 80s hair bands really wanted to be Zeppelin. Every kid wanted to sound like Page in the 70's as much as every kid in the 80's wanted to sound like Eddie Van Halen.

Page and Clapton defined blues rock while Hendrix played a more progressive style of blues rock. David Gilmour, Robert Fripp and Steve Hackett were pushing non blues based playing (prog rock) in the mainstream while EVH popularized finger tapping techniques and Randy Rhoads was delivering crushing speedy and memorable solos behind Ozzy.

Meanwhile you had Jeff Beck, Frank Zappa, Joe Satriani, Steve Hillage, John McLaughlin, Al Di Meola, Allan Holdsworth, Larry Coryell, Stanley Jordan and a number of other top notch players pushing the boundaries of sound and technique with guitar with a fraction of the following or imitability for whatever reasons.

I agree that SRV is likely the most recent "guitar god" with widespread appeal and kids modeling their playing after him. Not to say plenty of kids didn't pick up the instrument wanting to sound like Dimebag, Hammett, Slash or any number of other great players. But the talent pool now is much larger than kids had access to in the 70's, 80's and early 90's. (BTW, I'm not a big Slash fan at all but cite him only because I think GnR were influential to some people.)

Anyway, you can google and listen to any artist mentioned in this thread within minutes. It wasn't like that before the internet. You had to buy the albums or cassettes or dupe them off of your friends. You were only exposed to so many artists via radio and eventually MTV and/or word of mouth. It's really a circumstance that's prevalent in entertainment in general in that there's so much of it out there now that it's hard to pinpoint idols/gods as the pool of options for all of us is so broad at this point.

I agree with Jack White because Seven Nation Army is as copied or teased by live bands I go see as Smoke on the Water was in the 70's and 80's. That shit's catchy but really Jack White's playing is particularly derivative of Jimmy Page. Just as SRV was derivative of earlier blues players as well but he had a proficiency few reach. Hendrix was derivative of Buddy Guy but again, he took the style to new levels. I named Derek Trucks because there's not many great slide players these days and he touches on the greatness that was Duane Allman. Buckethead is in the same category as Vai, Malmsteen, and Satriani as being tremendous on the instrument but fairly inaccessible to a mainstream audience. Most, if not all of the great jazz players fall in that same category. That shit don't play in the sticks as it were.

Sorry for the ramble but hopefully my point comes across. Guitar is far from dead, it's just people have so much more music available to them now that it's hard to say "so and so is the best!" Which is a stupid statement anyway given all of the styles of music and musicians out there. It's all about taste. Some of the guitar gods in the first post reached that status because they were essentially pop stars before pop stars became passé. The guys like Satch and Malmsteen don't fall in that category but they're guitar nerd guitar gods in that most people wouldn't recognize their songs or their playing the way most people could recognize and name multiple Zep, Hendrix, Pink Floyd, or Van Halen songs.
Lots of what Gilmour was doing was basically blues playing with an echo rec. Not that music wasnt art rock. I also disagree that Jack White sounds alot like Jimmy Page. I heard he wasnt a huge fan of zep and was more into roots blues which cranked through a tube amp could sound similar. I think Page is a much better guitar player and songwriter than white anyway.

Lots of what Gilmour was doing was basically blues playing with an echo rec. Not that music wasnt art rock. I also disagree that Jack White sounds alot like Jimmy Page. I heard he wasnt a huge fan of zep and was more into roots blues which cranked through a tube amp could sound similar. I think Page is a much better guitar player and songwriter than white anyway.

https://www.guernicamag.com/high-art-low-blues/

Page is absolutely a better and more legendary player than White will ever be. But from the very first times I started hearing Jack White my instant reaction was, "this guy obviously is influenced heavily by Page." There's a quote from White "I don't trust anybody that doesn't like Zeppelin."

Have you ever watched It Might Get Loud? If not, do so. One of the best parts is when Page picks up the guitar and you see Jack White and The Edge just sitting there mesmerized by someone they both obviously hold in high regard.

I think Jack White deserves the mention in this thread because he's someone whose songs younger people picking up the guitar want to learn I think. He's not doing anything cutting edge but he's written and plays some really catchy stuff and is therefore influential on younger players.

I initially thought this was a hard question to answer but its really not. The most important guys of this era are

Guthrie Govan: Guthrie is probably the best guitarist ever. Whether you're a fusion or metal player, you can't consider yourself a serious guitarist and not be familiar with his work. He can do EVERYTHING and does so while maintaining a distinct, immediately recognisable style. His harmonic vocabulary is unmatched, his technical ability is top tier, his tone is amazing, his style is impetuous, he'll eat your children.

Tosin Abasi: He's the man who took extended scale guitars to their full potential. He's not just a virtuoso guitarist, he's one who's melded the bass and guitar together.

Misha Mansoor: Misha is a beast but he's a baby compared to the other guys out there, what he has done though is create a guideline for talented guitarists/producers to make a career for themselves.

From the 90s to now ......it's Buckethead.........and it's not even close.

It's hard to argue with someone being able to write, record, mix, master, and release an album like this one below in a few days while others take 10 years or more to release a fail.

First song is emotional with super finesse on the right hand while the other songs are just insane funk/hendrix.

Of course, Eddie Van Halen hasn't lost a step but I consider him an earlier generation.

Last edited:
from a technical standpoint no one seems to even come close to Bireli Lagrene

Listen guys, im with all you guys.
All the pre mentioned can absolutely play..
Im old school..sorry olds cool, and i have my opinions on who can legitimately play a gutiar.
And some guys who are incredible never get a mention, like brian may from queen, or even dare i say clapton.
Everyone, and me included are in the jimmy page camp and dave glimore.
slash can play for sure.
John Frusciante is a brilliant gutar player,
fucking les claypool for gods sake..

but i really want to throw a curve ball in here, and this guy never ever gets the credit he deserves, and even though in may not be the go to for guitar hero's.
I would put this lad up there with the all time greats, i think he is that good.
and that my friends, is..........Mr John Squire...

come on...tell me that man ain't a fucking guitar genius..

John McLaughlin is doing his farewell tour later this year and he's got Jimmy Herring along with him. He'll be revisiting Mahavishnu Orchestra stuff and is supposed to release a new album previous to the tour. Just got my tix for the show in Boston. I highly recommend seeing him as it will likely be the last chance unless he does one off shows at some point later.

I made a point in 2007-2009 of caching all of my favorite "living legend" guitarists I hadn't seen yet. Caught Stanley Jordan a couple times, Jeff Beck several times, Allan Holdsworth a couple times, John McLaughlin a couple times, Al Di Meloa, Larry Coryell, Joe Satriani and John Petrucci all within those few years. My first Beck and McLaughlin shows were at Clapton's Crossroads concert in 2007 but I went on to catch them each at small venues later. Sonny Landreth opened Crossroads and KILLED! Another amazing guitarist I highly recommend.

Still haven't seen Jimmy Page but maybe I'll luck out one day. Don't pass up these opportunities if they come your way, these guys won't be around forever.

Derek Trucks for me. Should be time stamped at the solo:

So smooth and tasteful.

Also, for acoustic, Tommy Emmanuel is ridiculous:

From the 90s to now ......it's Buckethead.........and it's not even close.

It's hard to argue with someone being able to write, record, mix, master, and release an album like this one below in a few days while others take 10 years or more to release a fail.

First song is emotional with super finesse on the right hand while the other songs are just insane funk/hendrix.

Of course, Eddie Van Halen hasn't lost a step but I consider him an earlier generation.

Agreed
Buckethead>All else

So for the Buckethead fans here...what album should I pick up to get 'the best of'? I see he has put out nearly 300 albums, so where do I start?

Back