Who Is The Biggest Guitar Hero Of This Era?

Guitar isn't dead.

Just because the guitar solo has been replaced by the "rap solo", doesn't mean the guitar isn't still a hugely popular instrument.

Gary Clark Jr is the most recent, I'd say.

I have several players in mind, but I doubt most of you have heard of them(just stating a fact, not trying to sound pretentious there), but it'll just be a bunch of "he plays Metal, nobody cares" "Who?" "He's a just soulless shredder/Where's the emotion!?" etc. so I won't bother.

I have several players in mind, but I doubt most of you have heard of them(just stating a fact, not trying to sound pretentious there), but it'll just be a bunch of "he plays Metal, nobody cares" "Who?" "He's a just soulless shredder/Where's the emotion!?" etc. so I won't bother.
You can't do that...proceed my man!C'mon then buddeh you've got me curious now!<[analyzed}>

Last edited:
Funny as hell pal.Never saw this mess before now.Why the fuck would he do this shite in public?Still good humour though!

I think he was trying to be taken seriously as a artist so he started playing guitar but that backfired since he sucks at it and makes him look like a joke. He should stick to rapping and leave it to the real guitar players.

Great call on Jack White.

I'd add John Petrucci, Derek Trucks and Buckethead,

Also, Gary Clark Jr. is a major up and comer IMO. Saw him at Clapton's Crossroads in 2010 and liked him. But then I saw him at Lock'n this past year and he was much more memorable, turned a lot of heads during his set for sure.

17 posts before someone said Buckethead. Wtf?!?

I think he was trying to be taken seriously as a artist so he started playing guitar but that backfired since he sucks at it and makes him look like a joke. He should stick to rapping and leave it to the real guitar players.
No doubt pal,i mean if he really wants to play live its simple...practice!Like you said m8 stick to the rap game.Still good for a laugh though....thanks,cool post.

Guitar isn't dead.

Just because the guitar solo has been replaced by the "rap solo", doesn't mean the guitar isn't still a hugely popular instrument.

All but dead, anything guitar heavy sounds dated af to me these days.

As suggested by others, Buckethead and Garry Clark Jr.

Tosin Abasi

I'm not really fan of where the whole "djent" thing has ended up, but Tosin and Misha Mansoor are the closest thing to guitar idols in modern music. And if you want to look at the last 10-15 years you would have to say that Fredrik Thordendal has been the only hugely influential guitarist from 2000 on.

The two of them are really the only players who are doing something relatively new and innovative whilst having something of a wide following, and they have had a tangible influence on the way younger players are choosing to learn the instrument.

Because of the way the music industry has gone, there will probably be no more players as iconic as a Hendrix, Hammet or a Dimebag.

I'm not really fan of where the whole "djent" thing has ended up, but Tosin and Misha Mansoor are the closest thing to guitar idols in modern music. And if you want to look at the last 10-15 years you would have to say that Fredrik Thordendal has been the only hugely influential guitarist from 2000 on.

The two of them are really the only players who are doing something relatively new and innovative whilst having something of a wide following, and they have had a tangible influence on the way younger players are choosing to learn the instrument.

Because of the way the music industry has gone, there will probably be no more players as iconic as a Hendrix, Hammet or a Dimebag.
I know he died in the 1990's but Stevie Ray Vaughan would be considered far more iconic than Hammett and / or Dime eh?As far as reaching a broader range of audience he was better known and heard plus he was like no others of our time talent wise.

I know he died in the 1990's but Stevie Ray Vaughan would be considered far more iconic than Hammett and / or Dime eh?As far as reaching a broader range of audience he was better known and heard plus he was like no others of our time talent wise.
what are we talking about here? Comparing speed guys to blues guys is never going to end well two different styles of playing. Where guys into Metal are going to go with guys like Dime and people into Blues and Rock will go with guys SRV. Then there are players like Zakk Wylde who going to play a bit of it all but none of them are going to get up to where Clapton, Page, Beck, or Jimi was in the 60s and into 70s as being iconic Guitar Gods no matter how good they are. Shit there is guys like Doyle Bramhall II who's over looked because he's mainly a sideman who plays with everybody.

The 60's had Clapton Page, Beck, and Hendrix. The 70's had still had Clapton, beck and Page, but also David Gilmour, Ritchie Blackmore and then Eddie Van Halen took rock guitar to a new level.

The 80's had Van Halen, Randy Rhoads, Yngwie Malmsteen, Steve Vai, and Joe Satriani and they were guitar heroes into the 90's as well.

Who today (someone who is relatively new, someone who debuted in the last 15 years) has the stature of a Hendrix, Page, Blackmore, Van Halen, Rhoads, Or Malmsteen?
Nobody cares about guitar heroes anymore because nobody wants to hear solos and guitar driven music.
*sigh*

We need another John McLaughlin.
Hopefully jazz makes a comeback.
Speed metal comeback would be sweet too

what are we talking about here? Comparing speed guys to blues guys is never going to end well two different styles of playing. Where guys into Metal are going to go with guys like Dime and people into Blues and Rock will go with guys SRV. Then there are players like Zakk Wylde who going to play a bit of it all but none of them are going to get up to where Clapton, Page, Beck, or Jimi was in the 60s and into 70s as being iconic Guitar Gods no matter how good they are. Shit there is guys like Doyle Bramhall II who's over looked because he's mainly a sideman who plays with everybody.
I get your point 100%!I grew up listening to everything from SRV to Christy Moore,Al DiMeola to the fucking Irish Rovers but Dime,Eddie,Skolnik & Jerry Cantrell are all favourites as well.Ive the most eclectic musical tastes of anyone you'll ever meet but as far as icons like Jimi,Clapton & the likes of Jimmy Page i think on a wider world stage SRV is closer to them than someone like Dime.If you ask strictly metal fans no but a general audience probably yes.But in the end its all just music and its all just ones opinion i suppose.Cheers.

Back