Who is the best boxer to watch for short and stocky builds

DynamiteHands

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I have my first amateur fight coming up next month and i need to do some studying. I'm fighting at 165 and I'm 5"7 so I'm strong for my height. I also use to wrestle so i guess that can be an advantage for clinching. My question is who are some GOOD short and stocky fighters to watch. I already watch Shawn
Porter

You know who was around your height who battled bigger guys all of the time?

Montell Griffin shortest 175lbs. champion I can remember who fought all of the greats...short doesn't always mean brawler in the higher weight classes.

Joe Frazier and Dwight Muhammad Qawi are elite examples of short and stocky pressure fighters. For a shorter and stockier fighter who didn't fight as a pure pressure guy, Stevie Johnston is always worth a look.

Dwight Muhammad Qawi

This is the main dude you need to watch. He is like Mike Tyson mixed with Marvin Hagler. Head movement and nonstop punching. Also using forearms and elbows to deflect

Booker T Word was built like a little tank. You may enjoy his performance against the Olympian Anthony Hembrick

David Tua, but you've got to hit pretty hard to make it for the size disadventage.

Nobody,quit boxing while you still can and go for greater stuff.

many , many, unfortunately they tend to fizzle out fast, frankie warren was a really good jr. welter, dwight quawi was amazing for his height, doing things no short fighter really did well, hector camacho was a smaller sized lightweight, they say he was listed at 5-7, but most people say he was 5-4 and he fought guys regularly who were 5-10, oh sorry, getting away from your 'stocky' description. tyson of course, frazier wasn't really that small but smaller than many of the guys he fought, generally, head movement seems to prevail over parrying and blocking for really short guys because to block still leaves you way way out of range, that's why guys like tyson mastered it as well or better than anyone in his prime. You want to see what happens when you block and you're short, watch chavez, he took a lot of stupid punches from tall guys, mediocre guys not even in his class, however he had the will and stamina to walk them down, he looked bad for it though.

Miguel Cotto. 5'7 with very short arms. I think his reach is 66" which is extremely short for a middleweight or welterweight. He very technically sound and is not a pressure fighter like those listed above.

Back