who is the best American fighter in history?

Dan Henderson. Top 5 for all time resume and beat a who's who of legends from MW to HW

I have to say Dan Henderson.
Multiple time champion at different weight classes.
And unlike most fighter today he was willing to fight anybody.
Unlike Jon Jones being terrified to fight Alexander again.
Or Demetrious Johnson finally getting an opportunity to fight somebody who is worth a damn then ducking him like there's no tomorrow.

I also have to put Rich Ace Franklin The Prodigy BJ Penn and Quinton Rampage Jackson on that short list.

Forrest Griffin is 2-0 against 2 ppl on your short-list. He should receive consideration as well.

Before Jones got ousted as the Lance Armstrong of MMA, he would have been the no brainer. As it is Hendo's a good nominee. Frankie Edgar is another.

EDIT: Cain V is a good nominee too. Tragic how his career has been derailed by injuries.

I was listing great American fighters that haven't been mentioned yet. But yes, have to agree with MM.

The only correct answers are..

Bruce Lee (Born on American soil.)

Gene LeBell

Mighty Mouse

Jon Jones, both p4p and also just the best, could beat anyone any size.

<<I have to say Dan Henderson.>>

Cormier-vs-Hendo-gif.gif

View attachment 280637

10 year age difference.

By the time Hendo was 34, he had beaten a who's who of prime fighters. Not to mention the guy is a natural 185 pound fighter. Cormier had a pretty big size advantage as well as significant youth.

Prime Hendo vs. DC would be an interesting fight. Granite chin, granite right hand, decent cardio (watch his fights with Big Nog or Rampage) and solid wrestling.

Jones. Fought tons of guys juicing as well. He has destroyed more ranked and former champs than anyone in history. As for character it's Randy or Hendo.

Back