Who here thinks HW Cormier may beat a Prime Fedor?

He matches up well with him, Fedor has some very explosive hips and dangerous submissions from the guard so possible he could submit DC.

Hate to say it but if someone forced me to bet my house on it i'd pick DC

But the downfall of past prime fighters isn’t just due to their age but to the evolution of the sport and their failure to keep up with it. That’s why I usually favor modern fighters over “golden age” fighters in these fantasy match ups. The modern training camps, coaching, striking technique, strength and conditioning, quality of athletes, and level of competition these fighters face (which makes them better) is just leagues above the 2004 mma world.

I’m a big Fedor fan, and I think it would be a great fight, but if have to favor DC.
I really don’t think it evolved that much. Especially not among HWs, where other factors play in, And especially not for olympians, And someone as well rounded as Fedor. We see several HWs having success today, among the «new breed» even way past their prime. I doubt they all evolved so much, and Fedor didn’t.

I have never seen a HW fight like Or move like Fedor did, And to this date I have seen very few HWs that I think can beat the guy we saw back then. It is easy to forget, just like everyone now say that GSP fought bad competition, or Anderson was never that good, or people will say Jones was overrated in the future.

He was definitley one of the most agressive forward moving fighters in MMA. Thats one of the reasons why people love watching him. Look at what he did to Sylvia.

That's what I mean. Bones, Stipe, Cormier would not go at their opponents like that to flatline them. They aren't buzzing through Zulu the way Fedor did. That's my opinion but that's how prime Fedor fought. He was a sensational fighter that at times seemed unbeatable. He's the closest to having the Mike Tyson effect in mma. And that will live on. So happens to be Iron Mike's favorite fighter aswell. He understood the kill or be killed mentality. His eyes light up when he talks about Fedor. They are my two favorite gladiators of all time and I'm glad I got to witness both. One as an 8 year old kid seeing this spectacle of movement real life comic book hero in the ring and the other in my 20's at the height of his game.

The stalking down of Cro-Cop was also phenomenal to see. Fedor moved like a predator.

Last edited:
A. Sambo is practiced almost exclusively in Russia, and this was before grappling was anywhere near as widespread and practiced as it is now.

B. Name the top flight grapplers Fedor beat off his back. Cuz that's where Cormier would put him. Repeatedly.... I'll wait.
In an area with 300 million people, that has a very strong wrestling culture, And Sambo. You don’t think a Sambo world champion is prepared against a wrestler?? Or train with just as good Wrestlers as Cormier?? Just like Khabib is efficient vs other grapplers, Fedor was superior among them, And Fedor was a stronger Sambo practitioner than Khabib is.

250 lb olympian Coleman And Randleman Are among the guys that tried to put him on his back. We know how that went. Vs Cormier, Fedor would even be the bigger And stronger man, so it would make it an even bigger advantage.

In a cage I have little doubt DC has the advantage. It would allow him to neutralize easily the one major advantage Fedor would have, which is his handspeed. Fedor was a legit threat off his back. Those downplaying that are really underrating how explosive his hips were and how quickly he could secure the arm. DC is a very cerebral fighter though. And there is one place where Fedor would pretty much be helpless...and that's with his back to the cage being given no space.

DC wouldn't want to strike at range, nor would he necessarily want to take Fedor down (possibly very late in rounds to seal them, but otherwise most likely not). What DC would do is use his superior strength and clinch game to hold Fedor on the fence. He'd lean on him and make him carry his weight for long stretches early in the fight, taking away much of that speed and explosion that was Fedor's trademark. I think by mid round 3 you'd see a tiring, wilting Fedor. My guess is even in a 5 rounder he'd survive and we'd see a fairly lopsided DC win.

In a ring, much different story. I'd give Fedor a way better chance to win. DC may still be able to hold him on the ropes at times, but it's a completely different thing than holding someone against the cage. Not sure I'd favor Fedor in a ring, but I'd for sure like his chances a LOT better there.

i can't believe this is even up for debate. jesus, man. Fedor for fucking sure.

GO BACK TO EYEBALL SCHOOL AND/OR WATCH HIS FIGHTS.

thanks luv ya

it might quite honestly be one of the best fights that could have ever happened in the history of mma thus far.

Would be awesome while it lasted... Hard to go against the GOAT. But Cormier is legit.... The winner would be the fans.

Mayweather would never be KO'd by a mitrione level opponent.

Your standards for goat are poor. There will be someone in the future worthy of the title but someone like Prime Fedor didnt even fight in modern MMA rules. It's like comparing Royce Gracie to modern competitors.

Yeah, he's not one of the greatest fighters ever because he didn't fight under the unified ruleset that makes it less like a real fight.... amirite?
<DirkMavs>

Of course... Fedor is older and not as good now. That must mean he was always mediocre and all HWs of today could easily beat him...

Why is it that only mma fans think that athletes don't get out of their prime, and the younger athletes are always just better??

Your silly argument makes so little sense that you can't even defend it apparently.
I just did. Yet you fall on ad hominems.

Under your logic Gracie competed under the rules closest to a real fight, therefore goat yo.

I have never seen a HW fight like Or move like Fedor did, And to this date I have seen very few HWs that I think can beat the guy we saw back then.

That's a good point. Fedor definitely gave me many WTF moments, and I don't think I've ever felt that way watching DC fight. But DC is a master of fundamentals, and the only person I've ever seen give him troubles is 6'4 guy with an 84 inch reach who was on steroids and comes from a family of NFL players.

It would be a great fight to watch.

I just did. Yet you fall on ad hominems.

Under your logic Gracie competed under the rules closest to a real fight, therefore goat yo.

Except I never said that.

I said disqualifying Fedor from the discussion because he didn't fight under a more restrictive ruleset is inane.

Those are two completely different things.

Except I never said that.

I said disqualifying Fedor from the discussion because he didn't fight under a more restrictive ruleset is inane.

Those are two completely different things.
You don't need to say it. That's where the logic follows.

It's okay tho. You can continue to live in the past.

Back